Spa on Independence

The prices are way higher than I pay for spa treatments (which is, unfortunately, rare) on land. Do they make it worth your while? Any perks?

I had heard rumors that they're cheaper when we are at a port. But that doesn't reflect on the cruise planner.

Edited by Robotcake

The prices are way higher than I pay for spa treatments (which is, unfortunately, rare) on land. Do they make it worth your while? Any perks?

I had heard rumors that they're cheaper when we are at a port. But that doesn't reflect on the cruise planner.

My information is not specifically in the context of Indy, but generally applies to RCI ships as far as my experience goes.

I did a couples' massage once with DW, only because we won $300 OBC in a draw on board. We wouldn't otherwise pay the onboard prices for the spa services, but that's just us.

On boarding day, there is typically a spa tour offered in the early afternoon (I think around 13:00). An attendant shows you around the rooms and services offered, and it makes you eligible to enter a draw held later that day (must be present to win). The draw is for various prizes including spa treatments and other services (e.g. personal trainer session). Chances of winning vary as you could have 30 people or 100 people show up for the draw.

There are some deals available on board, such as port day specials as you mentioned. They may also offer a discount when booking multiple treatments, particularly what they call their "signature" spa treatments. These will be described in more detail for you during the tour.

Again, I have limited spa experience on board, but I don't think you really need to book spa services in advance unless you are really the type to plan and schedule everything in advance and absolutely must have the day and time you want reserved before boarding. If you visit on boarding day for the tour and book at that time, I don't think you'll have much (if any) trouble finding a day and time that you'd like.

Don't be suckered by the sales pitch. Some of the spa services are highly questionable in terms of their alleged vs. actual health or medical benefit.

There is an automatic 18% gratuity added.

Edited by moopetguy

They are more expensive. For example a 75 minute message cost over $200 with gratuity. There are some specials but they are still pricey. I tried to take advantage of the specials but was told they were not available. I always do a spa treatment on vacation and figure that in when planning. BTW, the massage was wonderful. They do try to sell you products afterwards. It's best to tell them no right away. I have fallen in to that trap a couple of times. On my last cruise I bought bath salts for $75 and have still not used them.

I found it comparable to land resort spas, but definitely more expensive than the chain massage places where you can get a monthly membership. My 50 minute massage was about $140 with the automatic 18% gratuity.

We did a couples' massage last time after seeing the special advertised in the Compass for the last night of the cruise. After the discount, it was comparable in price to a high-end salon at home. Quality was great, and they were kind enough not to try to sell us anything.

• 11 months later...