Question for Lightroom users

wmjivey

I mainly use Picassa and Elements 12 for my photos and thinking of upgrading to PSE14 for the cost verus the creative cloud monthly fee. I tend to shoot 100's of pics at a time and get lazy trying to go through them all. I heard if I use lightroom it will go through all my catalog and give me the effects I commonly use all at once. If that is the case that would make my life so much easier. I just hate to rebuy programs on a yearly basis.

John

i don't upgrade lightroom until Adobe stops supporting the version on using with updates. i just bought the newest version lightroom 6 last fall so should be could for a few years with updates and bug fixes. You don't have to buy the newest version when one comes out. Chances are Adobe will continue with the updates for the last version for a few years.

Lightroom has been my go-to program for pretty much all photo picking/editing for several years now. I was able to grind through >10,000 pictures from our August Alaska cruise in about 6 hours and get it down to about 300. Within that, it's super-easy to edit one shot, then copy the edits from that shot and batch-paste them onto other shots in similar light, etc.

I may soon switch to Capture One for portrait work (seems to handle skin tones better, and has other features well-suited for tethered shooting), but I'm definitely not anywhere close to giving up Lightroom. Lightroom does have a distinct learning curve, so I do suggest a book or some YouTube videos to help you transition if you go that way.

If you subscribe to Creative Cloud, you will always have the latest version of both LR and PS. It is $10 a month for most users. I use Lightroom most of the time for cataloging and editing. It will easily do most of the common editing tasks (e.g. cropping, exposure, RAW conversion, color correction, etc.) It is a very powerful program and if you need to go further it interacts very nicely with Photoshop. It is very simple to batch correct in LR - i.e. copy settings from one photo to any series of photos.

I mainly use Picassa and Elements 12 for my photos and thinking of upgrading to PSE14 for the cost verus the creative cloud monthly fee. I tend to shoot 100's of pics at a time and get lazy trying to go through them all. I heard if I use lightroom it will go through all my catalog and give me the effects I commonly use all at once. If that is the case that would make my life so much easier. I just hate to rebuy programs on a yearly basis.

John

Yes and no. You can save your common adjustments. You can then automatically apply those adjustments to all pictures when you import them. Alternatively, you can select multiple photos and "synch" the settings across the photos.

The Adobe Photographer's Subscription at $9.99/mo gives you Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC (full version). Updates and upgrades are included as long as you're subscribed. You are also subscribed to Lightroom mobile for organizing and (importable to desktop) editing on tablets and such while travelling.

I switched to Lightroom a few years ago and my only real regret is not switching sooner (though LR CC is light years ahead of where I started with LR4).

Photoshop can be daunting and it generates a lot of fear, uncertainty and doubt but in the last few years, the huge availability of tutorials on YouTube has smoothed out the learning curve. It is very integrated with Lightroom as well (though I find that I do 95%+ of all corrections and editing in Lightroom.)

$10/mo - $120/yr may seem pricey but considering LR by itself is $140 and Elements 14 is around $80, it actually matches pretty well with an every-two-year update cycle.

My 2¢...

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
The Adobe Photographer's Subscription at $9.99/mo gives you Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC (full version). Updates and upgrades are included as long as you're subscribed. You are also subscribed to Lightroom mobile for organizing and (importable to desktop) editing on tablets and such while travelling.

I switched to Lightroom a few years ago and my only real regret is not switching sooner (though LR CC is light years ahead of where I started with LR4).

Photoshop can be daunting and it generates a lot of fear, uncertainty and doubt but in the last few years, the huge availability of tutorials on YouTube has smoothed out the learning curve. It is very integrated with Lightroom as well (though I find that I do 95%+ of all corrections and editing in Lightroom.)

$10/mo - $120/yr may seem pricey but considering LR by itself is $140 and Elements 14 is around $80, it actually matches pretty well with an every-two-year update cycle.

My 2¢...

Dave

I couldn't agree with you more. $10/month for both programs is a no brainier to me. Photoshop alone is worth it. And you always have the latest updates!

I couldn't agree with you more. $10/month for both programs is a no brainier to me. Photoshop alone is worth it. And you always have the latest updates!

You beat me to it! Heck, Photoshop alone...CS6, was ~$600! This is a great deal for $10/month. New features (like the powerful, but easy to over-use) dehire are great. New features will not be added to stand-alone versions and newer camera may not be supported with the ACR module for the stand-alone either.

I went and did it, but the biggest problem for me is I did something wrong when I downloaded my entire catalog from three computers. It all came across only by date so I will be spending lots of time trying to get things where I want them. Love it so far

John

Love photoshop and Lightroom there are tons of great tips on photoshop and Lightroom on YouTube ...I have been s photoshop user since 1995 and it's come a long ways over the years has never been so easy to update pics with layers and all if you want great classes sign up for kelbyone

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FWIW, Lightroom upgrades are $79 from Adobe. Same price even if you're upgrading from a Lightroom v1.0 license. See here: https://www.canonpricewatch.com/blog/2015/04/adobe-lightroom-6-how-to-upgrade-from-lr4lr5-for-only-79/

With the approximately two year LR release cycle and LR6 having dropped in April 2015, it's not clear which is the better value even if one never uses Photoshop.

Another big question though is whether LR7 will be available for purchase or exclusively via CC.

BTW, on the monthly-payment CC plan, remember it's still an annual agreement. If someone cancels before the year is up, Adobe bills them 50% of the remaining subscription cost. (in the US at least) I wouldn't want someone thinking they could get it for a couple months, then drop it for a couple months, reactivate it etc. (I could be wrong, but this is my interpretation reading this: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/cancel-membership.html )

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I have the Adobe creative cloud for $10 a month. I use Lightroom all the time. I keyword my photos. When I drove Route 66 i left my garmin on all the time when we stopped, this allowed me to geotag every photo (and they were spot on too).

The presets in Lightroom really save time when you get a photo just the way you want it and have many more to edit.

I go through each photo and put a star fr the ones I like, then filter just by those, and then when I edit the photo I 2 star them. If I've sent one to print I tag it with a green color

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by nevin-deb