Viking vs Vantage

rogerdawhip

CC has a very nice article on it cover page today comparing Viking vs Vantage.

They cover just about every aspect both good and bad. I'm strictly a GCT cruiser but enjoyed the article.

I tried to put in a link to the article but had problems with it.

CC has a very nice article on it cover page today comparing Viking vs Vantage.

They cover just about every aspect both good and bad. I'm strictly a GCT cruiser but enjoyed the article.

I tried to put in a link to the article but had problems with it.

This was a very nice and very accurate comparison of the two companies, although it wasn't that easy to find!! The only part that I found inaccurate was the tour managers. Vantage no longer has multiple tour managers on it's cruises (unless they have changed their policy again). Now they have one TM and a concierge and all shore excursions are done with excellent local guides. I was vehemently opposed to this when it was initiated but I've done two trips with Vantage since they changed and I must admit it works. My biggest reason for sticking with Vantage (8 trips and counting) is the fact that I deal with them myself, which is important to a control freak, and while I can pay for the trip in advance and receive a sliding scale price reduction, I am not required to pay in full within 30 days of booking like Viking. Like rogerdawhip and GCT, I'm sticking with Vantage but it was a very good article....thanks for sharing.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Thanks for posting the link. I've only traveled Viking so far, we'll be on Vantage in September for Budapest to Bucharest.

The thing that swung me to Vantage over Viking for this trip was that Vantage's extension was cheaper, the upgrade to a french balcony wasn't as steep (and the cabin is larger), with the big thing being that the trip was longer.

We'll be on the River Voyager, which debuts in 2 weeks. River Cruise Advisor will be sailing on the christening cruise, Basel to Amsterdam, and will be posting a live report. Very interested to see pictures of the boat and read thier impressions.

I always compare Vantage, AMA, Viking and others before booking. Vantage has a quality product and has always been lower than Viking. Also, I prefer booking direct without a travel agent and Vantage provides nice discounts and incentive that further reduce the cost. My Son has done one Viking cruise and enjoyed it, so believe Viking has a quality product. However, I don't like being forced to pay in full when booking.

• Members

Thanks for the feedback on the story. I will check with the company about their shore excursions and correct that part. We are doing a series of these "vs." pieces, thanks to the questions we've seen here on the boards.

Also, Cruise Critic will also be at the christening of the new Vantage ship. So look for live reports from us as well! In 2016, every Cruise Critic editorial staffer will be on a different river line. It's a priority for us.

Thanks for the feedback on the story. I will check with the company about their shore excursions and correct that part. We are doing a series of these "vs." pieces, thanks to the questions we've seen here on the boards.

Also, Cruise Critic will also be at the christening of the new Vantage ship. So look for live reports from us as well! In 2016, every Cruise Critic editorial staffer will be on a different river line. It's a priority for us.

How can I apply for this job!!! :D

That's great to hear. Hope you have a wonderful time on what looks to be a nice ship, please post lots of pictures.