Cheers vs pay as you go

ahhhh .... I can't decide what to do?!?!?! Dh, dd, and myself are the only ones going. So of course both of us have to buy the package. If all the kids were coming, dh and I would be booked in separate rooms.....

I know on sea days I can sip belinis, mimosas, then fruity drinks all day ....

$800 is just a lot of money!

You hit the nail right on the head SmittyCo. 800 is a lot Of money to pay up front. I COULD drink 6-8 drinks a day, especially if you include a morning coffee and maybe a soda or two. But would all 6-8 drinks for a 7 day cruise total enough to break even? Figure for 2 people for 7 day cruise it is approx 800. Divide that by 7 days. That's 114 a day divided by 2 people. So 57 bucks a day. But what if you have 4 ports on your cruise so you are gone for 6-8 hrs a day for 4 of your seven days. Now you may feel you need to make up for it by drinking more on your at sea days or the nights after you leave port. So will you drink 6-8 drinks a night the 4 nights you are in port? If not and you don't plan on getting really expensive top shelf mixed drinks or wine, then financially it's still cheaper to pay as you go.

You hit the nail right on the head SmittyCo. 800 is a lot Of money to pay up front. I COULD drink 6-8 drinks a day, especially if you include a morning coffee and maybe a soda or two. But would all 6-8 drinks for a 7 day cruise total enough to break even? Figure for 2 people for 7 day cruise it is approx 800. Divide that by 7 days. That's 114 a day divided by 2 people. So 57 bucks a day. But what if you have 4 ports on your cruise so you are gone for 6-8 hrs a day for 4 of your seven days. Now you may feel you need to make up for it by drinking more on your at sea days or the nights after you leave port. So will you drink 6-8 drinks a night the 4 nights you are in port? If not and you don't plan on getting really expensive top shelf mixed drinks or wine, then financially it's still cheaper to pay as you go.

We will have 3 bottles of wine ... of which I will be the only one drinking those. That will cover me for dinner. On sea days I certainly can start early and sip drinks all day. But yes, on the 3 port days we won't hit 15 drinks each. I wish (as I'm sure most all also do) that they would not make both adults buy the package!

I went through the expenses on the Sign and Sail cards for my last cruise on the Dream and determined how much I spent on drinks. At $120 per day for the length of a cruise, I would never meet the expense versus ala carte prices as i would not exceed the first few days of the Cheers package. That said, it is a personal decision to make.

In my younger days I would say it would be worth it. Our first cruise in 86, everything was cash. I could go through 6-8 drinks a day while on the lido deck. When we cruised in 2001, it would have been a break even deal.

That said, you figure each adult in the cabin needs to consume 6-8 drinks per day on the average. That would make it worthwhile.

Happy cruising and Cheers! or not.