Cheers vs pay as you go

Hi! It's been a few years since my last cruise. I'm trying to decide between the Cheers package and just running a bar tab. Can anyone tell me how much drinks are now? Specifically, specialty drinks, beer, drink of the day, specially coffee. Thank you so much!

Hi there

Figure about $10 for most of the fancy mixed drinks. Wines by the glass about $8 and up. Just regular shots a little less. Beers $5-7 etc...+ tip. These are just approximate numbers.

It has been estimated that a break even amount would be if you drink about 6-7 drinks every day. Of course all passengers 21y.o.+ in a cabin are required to purchase the package.

Some people like the package just for the convenience even if they don't feel they will make full use of the drinks available.

hope this helps

My observations have been about the same. If you drink 6-8 drinks a day depending on what you drink it's pretty much a break even deal.

The estimate is an average over the length of the cruise. If you are like me I drink more toward the start and less toward the end and it depends on port vs. sea days.

I kept pretty good track on our NYE cruise out of Galveston on the Magic, which I didn't get the package. I felt I actually came out ahead. However, we had two days of bad weather and didn't do any deck time so that was much less cocktail time.

We also did the entire Comedy Show without a drink as we couldn't get a cocktail server to come to the table. There were only two servers for the entire showroom, which DW observed was a clever way for them to limit the number of drinks served to package holders.

My conclusion after two cruises on CCL and two on RCCL is that it's not worth it on CCL and is worth it on RCCL. Why you ask? I only have to buy for one of us on RCCL and I drink much more than DW. So I would loose money on her and maybe break even on me.

I did observe that we do enjoy fine wines with dinner so we usually ended up with a wine by the glass of $14 or more so with the by the bottle discount with a package it worked out.

However, RCCL we had suites with access to the suite lounge and free drinks. Even then I think we still broke even at worst.

Thanks for asking the question, I was curious myself. There is no way I'd do 6-7 alcoholic drinks per day (and remain conscious lol), but if I'm counting a fancy coffee and some diet coke in addition to a few beers or cocktails. Is fresh squeezed OJ an option? I've glanced at the package, but can't remember.

Personally, the Cheers program would not work for us. Reason is that we like to get a couple buckets of beer and relax on the balcony. With Cheers you can only get one at a time...

I believe there is a daily 2 for 1 Happy Hour in the Crow's Nest each evening .. is that correct?

Is there a Happy Hour anywhere else during the day/evening?

Why don't you ask over on the hal board?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if the new cheers program includes bottled beers? Website says cocktail s under $50, beer and wine by the glass. When I called CCL they just repeated back to me what the website read....need to know if anyone knows if it includes bottled beer as my husband doesn't do draft.

Wondering if the new program includes bottled imports (Bud) when I called CCL they just read back to me whats on the website for CHEERS which says cocktails to $50, beer and wine by the glass. Couldn't tell me if bottled beers were included. And husband only does bottles no draft.

Thanks

We did it on our Nov cruise the old cheers .worked very well. We tend to stay on board most port days. I am a miller lite drinker. But on vacation I would have couple bloody Mary's on our balcony. And with cheers I tried the drink of the day every day. I found I liked all of them. Then few beers by pool and couple with dinner. Throw in the late night comedy. Then watch dive in movie. Burgers at aft lido and would sit and have a few and talk to bartender. I hit the 15 limit almost every day and the bartenders all said your not even drunk. In saying that 15 drinks from about 8am when I get up to roughly 2am is not that hard to do. Any way like any thing it what fits you style

I went back and added up our drink expenses for 2 of us on an 8 nighter. The total was close to $350. We typically had buckets of beer during the day and mojitos and the like in the evenings. We also had cokes off & off during the cruise. Obviously we don't drink anywhere near enough to warrant buying Cheers.

Not sure what our friends' expense was - I know it was quite a bit more than ours, (maybe double) which still was less than them each having to buy the package.

Does anyone know if the new cheers program includes bottled beers? Website says cocktail s under $50, beer and wine by the glass. When I called CCL they just repeated back to me what the website read....need to know if anyone knows if it includes bottled beer as my husband doesn't do draft.

I believe an Oxford comma would clear this up. It should say, "...cocktails under $50, beer, and wine by the glass." The "by the glass" designation is only intended to describe the wine.

Personally, the Cheers program would not work for us. Reason is that we like to get a couple buckets of beer and relax on the balcony. With Cheers you can only get one at a time...

you can get one beer, ask for it to stay sealed. wait 5 minutes, ask again. rinse and repeat

I heard people do this and then enjoy their beers on the balcony

Break even depends on what you drink. 12oz beers are 4.95 so it would take 10 per day, every day to break even. Mixed drinks would take a few less to break even. Not sure if this is 100% current but prices are here: http://www.***********/info/carnival-cruise-lines/alcohol-prices-selections.php

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I like Cheers because I can try mixed drinks or shots and toss them if I don't like them...I plan on trying to put a hurt on the free specialty coffees during spring break.

We always try the after dinner drinks in the mdr as well. I wouldn't without the cheers pack.

I like Cheers because I can try mixed drinks or shots and toss them if I don't like them...I plan on trying to put a hurt on the free specialty coffees during spring break.

We always try the after dinner drinks in the mdr as well. I wouldn't without the cheers pack.

This always hurts me when I hear people throwing away perfectly good alcohol...LOL