Unlimited Beverage Package questions

lspringman

I have a couple questions about the Ultimate Beverage Package.

We chose that as our "freebie" when booking during their promotion.

1 - I see online you have to pay a 18% service charge. Is that just when the package is purchased or do you have to pay a service charge for each drink you order (pay the service fee based on the price of the drink)?

2 - I saw something online mentioning long lines at the bars because of this drink package. Has anyone seen this problem? I'd hate to spend a ton of time standing in line every day, multiple times of the day ;).

3 - Can we take advantage of the drinks as soon as we get on board or do we have to wait until we set sail?

1. You pay 18% based on the cost of the package. No charge is payable onboard.

2. I haven't, but some people have. It seems to depend a bit which bars you use. Pool bars on sea days get busy for example.

3. You can use the package as soon as you board, but you may be charged local tax (based on the cost of drinks consumed) in some ports.

I have a couple questions about the Ultimate Beverage Package.

We chose that as our "freebie" when booking during their promotion.

1 - I see online you have to pay a 18% service charge. Is that just when the package is purchased or do you have to pay a service charge for each drink you order (pay the service fee based on the price of the drink)?

2 - I saw something online mentioning long lines at the bars because of this drink package. Has anyone seen this problem? I'd hate to spend a ton of time standing in line every day, multiple times of the day ;).

3 - Can we take advantage of the drinks as soon as we get on board or do we have to wait until we set sail?

1) You pay the 18% on the price of the package. That is it. You do not pay 18% on each individual drink.

2) I didn't experience long lines when I sailed on the Escape in January. A few dollar tips here and there work very well for getting speedy service.

3) You can order drinks as soon as you get on the ship. You will have to pay tax on the drinks that are ordered while you are in port prior to sailaway.

Thank you!

Little confused on the last reply. If we're paying the 18% based on the package, then what taxes are we potentially paying based on the local taxes??

Port taxes are charged in some ports and are basically a purchase tax.

The 18% is charged by NCL and is a service charge.

Only issue we've had getting drinks when first on board is that on our last cruise they were still "uploading" the guest list, so they had new POS computers working. The bartender at the Garden Cafe had to fill out a paper ticket which I had to sign. No big deal, a few hours after that we began to melt the card with all the swiping and drinking we were doing.

Edited by johnnyrb

Only issue we've had getting drinks when first on board is that on our last cruise they were still "uploading" the guest list, so they had new POS computers working. The bartender at the Garden Cafe had to fill out a paper ticket which I had to sign. No big deal, a few hours after that we began to melt the card with all the swiping and drinking we were doing.

Ha! "melt the card" :) I plan to melt the card as well!! ;)

Ha! "melt the card" :) I plan to melt the card as well!! ;)

We're not (such) big drinkers, but one night we sat at O'sheehans and asked the bartender to make us a drink we hadn't tasted before. We were in the mood to try something new and were open to a surprise. The bartenders began taking turns trying to figure out what we would really like and just kept making us new drinks to try. There were very few we didn't enjoy, and that visit ended around 3 hours later with us by the pool napping off all the alcohol. I'm still carrying around the last 5 pounds from that trip. The card did get good and warm that afternoon. Good times!

Edited by johnnyrb

We're not (such) big drinkers, but one night we sat at O'sheehans and asked the bartender to make us a drink we hadn't tasted before. We were in the mood to try something new and were open to a surprise. The bartenders began taking turns trying to figure out what we would really like and just kept making us new drinks to try. There were very few we didn't enjoy, and that visit ended around 3 hours later with us by the pool napping off all the alcohol. I'm still carrying around the last 5 pounds from that trip. The card did get good and warm that afternoon. Good times!

That's the best time to try new drinks!! :)

The bar on the BA, Mixx On Six I believe, is deadly. Those guys are great. They really take care of you. Watch out when they start pouring doubles with that package.

A one dollar tip, you will have your drink made when they see you coming. :)

Edited by janetz

The bar on the BA, Mixx On Six I believe, is deadly. Those guys are great. They really take care of you. Watch out when they start pouring doubles with that package.

A one dollar tip, you will have your drink made when they see you coming. :)

Good to know!! ;)