Westerdam refit / Drydock

holacanada

Hi !

JFMI, is someone can tell me the information about the next major dry dock due to MS Westerdam ?

Not to be anxious (cruising next year - Apr. 2017) but for a complement of informations.

What about the new concepts (Lido, speciality restaurants (PG, LC, MCD), indoor novelties, any new surcharges (nickel and dinning), etc.) ?

Holacanada from Quebec city

Sailing away in 413 days so…

Edited by holacanada

Hi !

JFMI, is someone can tell me the information about the next major dry dock due to MS Westerdam ?

Not to be anxious (cruising next year - Apr. 2017) but for a complement of informations.

What about the new concepts (Lido, speciality restaurants (PG, LC, MCD), indoor novelties, any new surcharges (nickel and dinning), etc.) ?

Holacanada from Quebec city

Sailing away in 413 days so…

Hola! Bonjour!

I am recalling from memory here, so if I'm wrong, someone else please correct me:

Westerdam's dry dock will take place in Palermo, Sicily, in early April 2017. Her Pinnacle, Neptune, and Signature suites will be updated. Additional cabins will be added behind the Crow's Nest on deck 10 (I think they will be verandah cabins). The Cabana club will be added on deck 11, forward. The Northern Lights disco will become the Gallery Bar. I suppose the usual dry dock inspections and maintenance will take place.

• 6 months later...

Hi- if you look at the pics from the Oosterdam venues, you'll get an idea of what the dry dock refurb will look like on the Westerdam. One point I'd like to make- the first cruise after dry dock may be a little "different". They jam a lot of remodeling into those short 12 days in dry dock- we sailed on the Oosterdam just after dry dock last year, and there were a few hiccups during the first few days of our cruise. It all worked out though, and we had a great time! We especially enjoyed mini martinis at the Gallery Bar, and the art work was beautiful!

• 4 months later...

We were on the Westerdam's Mexico cruise Jan 31. We had one night of fog. On deck 6, where we were, the foghorn could not be heard at all but it was pretty loud on deck 10 behind the Crowsnest, where the new cabins will be added in April. HAL will have a serious sound-proofing issue with these cabins if the occupants are to get any sleep while it's foggy out. I wonder if it can be done?

We were on the Westerdam's Mexico cruise Jan 31. We had one night of fog. On deck 6, where we were, the foghorn could not be heard at all but it was pretty loud on deck 10 behind the Crowsnest, where the new cabins will be added in April. HAL will have a serious sound-proofing issue with these cabins if the occupants are to get any sleep while it's foggy out. I wonder if it can be done?

It was already done on her sister Oosterdam with no problems

Another "improvement ???" with the dry dock work will be the changeover from small, intimate piano bar to the huge, structured Billboard Onboard Dueling Pianos. Sad to see the good 'ol piano bars going away. We will never see the great piano bar entertainers again on the HAL fleet.

• 2 months later...
Another "improvement ???" with the dry dock work will be the changeover from small, intimate piano bar to the huge, structured Billboard Onboard Dueling Pianos. Sad to see the good 'ol piano bars going away. We will never see the great piano bar entertainers again on the HAL fleet.

Couldn't agree more. We were on the Eurodam last year and hated the dueling pianos and the song selections to me were not suited for a piano bar. On the other hand, the BB King Blues club band was hands-down the best group EVER on our cruises.

Although I haven't heard the dueling pianos on HAL, I have heard them in Vegas and LOVE 'EM They are a blast IMHO. Have you seen the age of most of the folks playing at the 'classic piano bars' of late? If that's the music you want from a piano, you may be looking more at the Kawai Player Piano soon.