Yet another upsell question

MrMike45

Yeah yeah, I know..enough already, I $uck! sorry :)

So for our upcoming Gem cruise in about 3 weeks, I finally was able to get an offer from the Upsell dept.

We (me and the wife) currently are in a mid-ship mini suite, booked thru the CAS at approx 1/2 the cost as if you booked it thru the website

Their offers were:

$750 pp to move up to Suite SE or SF category

$1250 pp to move up to Haven H4 category

Both are a bit steep to me and honestly more than I was hoping for, so I told them I will consider and call them back.

In looking at the website it seems like there are 6 suite rooms left and 2 or 3 Haven rooms left. If I wait a few days/week even, and the rooms still aren't sold, is their a chance their offer will drop? Or I can offer a lesser amount that they might take (was hoping for $500 pp). Or is this pretty much a "take it or leave it" offer from them ?

Never did an upsell, so despite a long cruise history, I'm a noob to this.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MrMike45

Last year we had booked a mini suite on Epic. The upsell dept emailed us 3 times with offers for Haven. Each time they got a little cheaper. We got the last offer the day before sailing.

Ok...so keep fingers crossed the rooms don't sell out and keep trying. Thank you

Enough...did you post about what cabin to pick when you first booked? All this upsell discussion is getting old.

Then don't click on the subject. People are free to talk about whatever they want and just because you are getting tired of it, then just either get over it or don't get on Cruise Critic. People criticizing other people's comments is getting old to me. If you don't have any nice to say or substantial to contribute then.........

Or I can offer a lesser amount that they might take (was hoping for $500 pp). Or is this pretty much a "take it or leave it" offer from them?

Negotiating is definitely allowed. I have read here on CC about people offering less and having their offer accepted.

Thanks all for the advice and comments.

Txagfan - no disrespect intended..but myob. I posted the title of the thread clearly, and even insinuated in the first line of my OP that I know there are a ton of upsell questions. From that point, if you didn't want to read any further...click the back button. Reading thru the half dozen posts, clicking reply, and typing a response was a waste of your time, and mine.

then don't click on the subject. People are free to talk about whatever they want and just because you are getting tired of it, then just either get over it or don't get on cruise critic. People criticizing other people's comments is getting old to me. If you don't have any nice to say or substantial to contribute then.........

agreed!

Thanks all for the advice and comments.

Txagfan - no disrespect intended..but myob. I posted the title of the thread clearly, and even insinuated in the first line of my OP that I know there are a ton of upsell questions. From that point, if you didn't want to read any further...click the back button. Reading thru the half dozen posts, clicking reply, and typing a response was a waste of your time, and mine.

Continuing to post these threads is going to result in the end of our ability to call NCL to get upsells. It's as simple as that. If you would like to be able to get an upsell in the future, don't post about it.

Continuing to post these threads is going to result in the end of our ability to call NCL to get upsells. It's as simple as that. If you would like to be able to get an upsell in the future, don't post about it.

Honestly, you think posting threads on a community forum website is going to make NCL decide to stop offering upsells, which in effect is a way for them to make more money on cruises by offering better rooms for some extra money to people already booked, since they are going unsold anyway and are getting no money for the room.

Really? These "upsell" threads have that much power and pull?

But the 10x as many threads complaining about stuff and fees, those NCL overlook. They just open the upsell threads and "ok, that's it. no more offers!"

Come on now

Honestly, you think posting threads on a community forum website is going to make NCL decide to stop offering upsells, which in effect is a way for them to make more money on cruises by offering better rooms for some extra money to people already booked, since they are going unsold anyway and are getting no money for the room.

Really? These "upsell" threads have that much power and pull?

But the 10x as many threads complaining about stuff and fees, those NCL overlook. They just open the upsell threads and "ok, that's it. no more offers!"

Come on now

This forum is widely read by many many cruisers and threads in this forum are frequently in top google results for searchwords related to NCL. There have been numerous threads by people recently bragging about how they have scored great deals by calling the upsell number, sometimes weekly, sometimes daily, sometimes multiple times a day. There have also been posts by people that they can't get through and the phone just rings off the hook. NCL previously discontinued the ability of people to call into the upsell department. Also, people are far less likely to be willing to pay full price for a suite if they know there is a very good chance that they can get a super discount by waiting and "upselling," thus hurting NCL's bottom line. So yes, I think it is extremely likely that if these threads continue, and people continue calling the upsell number on a very frequent basis and then brag about it, that NCL will go back to their former model of not allowing people to call in.

Just the opposite. It'll garner more interest in upgrades and generate more income for NCL. Simple math.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. By all means then, keep starting these types of threads and we'll see what happens.

If these threads are so powerful that NCL would pull the upsell offers because of them...why wouldn't the opposite be true? The posts complaining about NCL's product, fees, etc...why wouldn't those be powerful enough for NCL to say "hmmm, maybe we should change it?"

Can't be true for some posts and not all right?

But I thank you for permission to post questions on a website forum/community board designed for people to ask questions and others to offer advice.

If these threads are so powerful that NCL would pull the upsell offers because of them...why wouldn't the opposite be true? The posts complaining about NCL's product, fees, etc...why wouldn't those be powerful enough for NCL to say "hmmm, maybe we should change it?"

Can't be true for some posts and not all right?

But I thank you for permission to post questions on a website forum/community board designed for people to ask questions and others to offer advice.

It has nothing to do with the posts themselves. It's the fact that the posts are greatly driving up phone traffic to the upsell number by people who are calling them on a daily basis starting 30 days out. You don't see how that is a problem if enough people start doing it? Really?

Where are you getting your statistics regarding phone traffic. I have never waited more than a few minutes for an agent on the upsell line. Where did you get the info about the increased phone traffic?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

From these threads where people have posted long wait times where the phone just rings and rings.

I for one am interested in this thread & following it!

In a similar situation, booked through CAS, hoping for upsell but too pricey right now. So calling... occasionally.... hoping for a lower price!

If you don't like the thread skip it! OP clearly stated what it was about. :rolleyes:

From these threads where people have posted long wait times where the phone just rings and rings.

There is one other problem with your theory: If there are so many incoming upsell calls, why does NCL keep sending out their upsell emails? I've gotten one each Monday for 2 weeks in a row, and my cruise is still 3 weeks away. I call every few days to check on availability and pricing. If they don't want the calls, they wouldn't bother sending the emails.

I'm in the camp that feels that it's ridiculous to think that chatter on this site will create such a huge impact for NCL (or any other cruise line) that they would need to shut down their upsell phone line. I would think that before that happens, they'd stop soliciting people via email on such a consistent basis.

Just my opinion.

I've called quite a few times, and different times of the day, and never waited more than a minute to speak with an agent.

The wait time is after you give them your reservation number and they go check for deals

A quick data point... the upsell offers don't always go down as the cruise gets closer. We booked a last minute balcony guaranty on the Getaway. Called a series of times in the last week because we wanted a spa upsell. We've been in the Haven before and enjoy it, but this was a last minute "cheapie cruise" for us and we didn't want to upgrade past a certain price point. We were hoping for a regular spa balcony or maybe even the Haven spa H9. Anyway, I was offered the Haven H5 for $500 pp and the Haven spa for $750 pp. Kept calling and the Haven H5 actually went up to $750. We never took an upsell for that cruise, just sailed with the original balcony gty .

~Denise

Edited by Sundiego

I too have received 2 upsell emails in the past two weeks for our upcoming cruise and before I call them, I have a question for all of you.

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children) currently booked in 1 mini-suite. The upsell emails say the pricing is based on Double Occupancy. Does this mean that only the first 2 people are charged the upsell cost? And that my 2 children wouldn’t be charged extra? Or is every person in the room charged the upsell cost?

Double occupancy means first 2 passengers are charged, remaining people in your party aren't charged. This happened to me, you'll keep whatever perks you have in place as well. If you upgrade to suite category the daily service charges go up as well, but if you've prepaid them, you are grandfathered in and won't be charged the difference. Happy sailing!