Emerald Princess Review - March 5-10

kmhkmb

Unfortunately we had hot water issues in our stateroom (C735)

We were extremely disappointed and frustrated by our experience. Upon talking to the passengers on either side of us - they also had the problems.

We returned to our room to shower about 10:00 p.m. on our first night but found the shower and the bathroom faucet to have only water that was scalding hot. There was no range of temperature from either the shower or the faucet, just dangerously hot water.

Around 8:00 a.m. on day 2, we reported our water issue to Thawon, our cabin steward, and he arranged for a plumber to correct the issue. (Thawon did a fantastic job during the cruise and was very attentive.) When we returned to our room at midday, the plumber had been there but we still only had scalding hot water and no range of temperature. We reported the issue again to Thawon. A plumber worked on the issue again in the afternoon, but when we arrived back in our room that evening we only had lukewarm water, too cool, still no range of temperature, and still unable to use the shower.

Between 8:00 and 9:00 on day 3 I visited the Passenger Services desk to report the issue and our increasing frustration at being unable to use our shower. I was told by Carlos, unbelievably, the rocking of the ship was probably the cause of the problem but he would send someone to look at it. At noon when we arrived in our room the issue had still not been resolved. I again visited the Passenger Services desk and was told a plumber would be there immediately. My wife and I waited in our room for an hour but nobody came to fix the shower. I again visited the Passenger Services desk and was again told a plumber would be there immediately. I responded that I had been told the same thing before and I needed to speak with someone else about the issue. I spoke with Lee, the Finance Manager, and he assured me it would be corrected immediately. We requested a different room but were told none were available. Lee did offer a bottle of wine for our trouble. My wife and I again waited in our room for a plumber who did not appear. About 3:00 we received a number of phone calls from Passenger Services saying the issue was corrected when in fact, checking it ourselves, it was not. Violeta, Housekeeping Supervisor, arrived to check the temperature of the water and called Passenger Services from our room to confirm there was still a problem. Thirty minutes later Violeta returned telling us the issue was corrected but when we checked the water, there was no change. After more phone calls, Lee arrived at our room to tell us the problem was found to be in the engine room and was being worked on. Around 5:00 p.m. we again had hot water, although there was only a very small range of temperature. We decided to live with the situation rather than spend more of our cruise frustrated and angry.

Three days folks.

We also noticed several of the public ladies' rooms that were closed for plumbing issues throughout the cruise.

Update to our story - Princess came through with a partial credit for our trouble!

We were on the 14th-19th and definitely had our share of Spring Breakers. This was our first Princess cruise and we had a great time, but we were not happy about the takeover of the pools, hot tubs and outdoor bars and the longer bar lines in general. The kids we spoke with were pretty good and respectful, but there were plenty sitting up on balcony rails and we actually said something to some on a balcony over us that was smoking and ashing down on top of us. I must admit that I laughed out loud at a guy who had likely fallen asleep on his stomach while his friends had fun with sunscreen designs on his back. We will try Princess again, but not likely in March.

What did you expect during spring break and a short cruise. At least you were lucky you did not go Carnival as was reported by a fellow cruiser of loud sex going on in the balcony next to there room all night and every night.

What did I expect from a Princess cruise that I paid thousands of dollars for???

I expect to get what I paid for, like being able to use a pool or spa, being able to get close to a bar, being able to sleep without raucous loud behavior in the hallways day and night. I expect to sit on my balcony and not have to listen to the goings on one balcony over with a mattress on it, not having to wait in a very long line just for a burger or piece of pizza, not having to sit on my balcony and watch Budweiser containers being tossed into the ocean from the Lido deck above me, being able to find a seat in Crooners, or any other place near a bar. I expect the company who sold the package to the kids that included free booze to have been prepared for what any one with any common sense knew was going to happen. Princess management dropped the ball on this one.

Are you suggesting that we should have known that there would be 1000 spring breakers with unlimited booze packages on this cruise? Many many of us were doing back 2 backs so how would we know which week to not cruise?

What did I expect from a Princess cruise that I paid thousands of dollars for???

I expect to get what I paid for, like being able to use a pool or spa, being able to get close to a bar, being able to sleep without raucous loud behavior in the hallways day and night. I expect to sit on my balcony and not have to listen to the goings on one balcony over with a mattress on it, not having to wait in a very long line just for a burger or piece of pizza, not having to sit on my balcony and watch Budweiser containers being tossed into the ocean from the Lido deck above me, being able to find a seat in Crooners, or any other place near a bar. I expect the company who sold the package to the kids that included free booze to have been prepared for what any one with any common sense knew was going to happen. Princess management dropped the ball on this one.

Are you suggesting that we should have known that there would be 1000 spring breakers with unlimited booze packages on this cruise? Many many of us were doing back 2 backs so how would we know which week to not cruise?

I can sympathize with the shortcomings of your cruise but again it was in the middle of spring break and that in itself should have given you some idea that it might be crowded with young adults just waiting to blow off steam. Another thing that should have tipped you off is it was a short cruise which the spring breakers could more easily afford. Had you went on a 10 day trip things might have been totally different.