Suggestions for Lightweight Wheelchair

auntjoy036

My Mom can walk short distances, but not very far. For our last two cruises, I've used airport agents and cruise ship stewards with wheelchairs to get us to our cabin, where a rented wheelchair was waiting. This time I think I'd rather take our own wheelchair so we'll have it to walk from the Pan Pacific to Canada Place and so I can wheel Mom to dinner in Vancouver the night before our cruise. So I have two questions:

1. Can any of you recommend a lightweight, not too expensive wheelchair? I have spent some time in a wheelchair and know I want the traditional two big back wheel design, not a transport chair.

2. Even if we are using our own chair, may I ask for assistance pushing Mom at the airport and cruise terminal? (I know to tip.) I think it might be wise to save my strength for the times assistance is not available. Is that tacky?

Thanks for your help.

Vicki

Hi Vicki,

Can't suggest a wheelchair but you do get what you pay for, if you have the time as a suggestion find out what suits your mum then see if you can pick one up second hand.

In my experience wheelchair assistance is available at airports and cruise terminals for those that have their own chair, I would suggest that you contact the relevant departments of the airport and cruise terminal just to let them know.

Pete

You are probably looking for a standard lightweight folding wheelchair. Quick release hubs are nice for getting the wheels off to get it into a smaller taxi trunk, as are easy to remove foot pedals. You don't say what you mean by "inexpensive" but the Breezy line of Quickie wheelchair might meet your needs (although they do not have quick release hubs). Insurance may cover this as well.

You can check these out at some of the website that sell wheelchairs, and which provide advice via phone for fitting the person's weight, height, or other special needs.

Here are a couple good sites:

http://www.sportaid.com

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/

http://www.spinlife.com/

Any wheelchair by DRIVE is of very high quality. Nice colors too so you can spot yours in a crowd. When I bought mine I got it online. FREE shipping. Same brand as sold at the medical supply place in town. Check the sites splinter posted above. Mine came from 1800wheelchair.

Think used. Bought my poor old Mother a baby blue lightweight one in a used medical supply store in Denver. No need to spend high prices seen here.Do a google search. Agree with getting a color. Make sure it fits into car trunk.I donated it to local social services upon her passing.

Edited by zoncom

Thanks for recommending Drive. That's one of the brands I am considering.

Vicki

I have a Rollator Light weight Wheelchair, but it is recommended to not sit on it and be pushed = Saftety!

It is a great lightweight Wheelchair. It has a scissor fold up mechanism, a cloth box size container just below the seat cover, handbrakes, four adjustable wheels.

Look it up on the Internet = Rollator!

Check them out as their are some with parts not included as described above.

I can fold my Rollator and put it right inside the hatchback!

Contact me if you have any questions? robertmnch underscore 26 at msn dot com!!!!!!

My Mom can walk short distances, but not very far. For our last two cruises, I've used airport agents and cruise ship stewards with wheelchairs to get us to our cabin, where a rented wheelchair was waiting. This time I think I'd rather take our own wheelchair so we'll have it to walk from the Pan Pacific to Canada Place and so I can wheel Mom to dinner in Vancouver the night before our cruise. So I have two questions:

1. Can any of you recommend a lightweight, not too expensive wheelchair? I have spent some time in a wheelchair and know I want the traditional two big back wheel design, not a transport chair.

2. Even if we are using our own chair, may I ask for assistance pushing Mom at the airport and cruise terminal? (I know to tip.) I think it might be wise to save my strength for the times assistance is not available. Is that tacky?

Thanks for your help.

Vicki

I recently purchased a Shoprider Hero mobility scooter. This would enable your Mom to be self-sufficient in that you would not have to push. Price is $579 at

Walgreens and even cheaper elsewhere. It's only 20" wide so its easy to use. Take a look at the specs!