Strollers on Magic

partsgal

We are cruising with my 2and a half year old twin granddaughters. I was told you can request the strollers on board if available. Has anybody used these strollers? What would you seasoned cruisers recommend?I really hate to cart 2 strollers if I don't have to.

First of all, a twin stroller that would fit thru the cabin door would have to be a back to back, not a side by side stroller. Honestly, if you were to bring one/two, I'd recommend 2 umbrella strollers (trusting you have enough adults to handle them).

The strollers that are loaners from guest services are the big kind that you might want on excursions. When you take one out, a $200 deposit charge is placed on your account; it is removed when the stroller is returned. You won't need a stroller on Castaway Cay as there are red wagons available as you get off the ship--load the kids and the stuff in the wagon if you choose to walk to the beach. The strollers are cleaned after each use and are in good conditions. I was once in the room where they are stored--there seemed to be a hundred of them. My take on the loaners is that they are clean and in good repair. That's all I need to know for an excursion. You can take one/two out on Tuesday morning, return Tuesday night, and get them again another day if you wish...or you can store the darned things in your cabin and keep them the entire cruise. I wouldn't recommend that because they do take a lot of space in the cabin.

Thank you for the quick reply. Do you have a suggestion on a decent umbrella stroller? One weighs 28 and the other 24lbs. I have read that some of these umbrella strollers are small and uncomfortable. I'm looking for something to use on ship only. Thanks again.

THey do make twin umbrella strollers, but unless you will always be taking both kids to the same places, that's a pain. There is one brand that hooks together but can be used separately--I don't know about price on this.

It really depends on how you plan to use the strollers. The kids are big enough to do a fair amount of walking around the ship, but I can understand that they might not walk everywhere and are getting too heavy to carry. Umbrella strollers come in different sizes and prices. I'd look for something for "up to 30 pounds" or similar, but honestly I'd go as low on the price as I could. In another 6 months, they won't use a stroller except at WDW. Essentially you are looking for something to use on the trip only. For just around the ship, I wouldn't worry about the stroller being too small and uncomfortable. If they find the strollers uncomfortable, they are able to walk. The Magic is a big, but not "too big" ship.

Tell me that you have at least one more adult involved in this adventure....

Thanks again for the reply. I am going with my grandchildren's parents and my husband. We should have enough adults.It't their first cruise and I wanted to be prepared.

That's honestly what I was hoping you had planned. It means that you'll either have 2 cabins or a suite; either way you'll have room to store the strollers in the cabins. If all 4 adults are able bodied and can carry the kids a bit, I'd probably forget the strollers for kids this age. There are plenty of places around the ship that the strollers are just a nuisance. For instance, you can't take them to the theatres unless you plan to stay in the wheelchair area at the back (and you'll be removed if someone needs the space for a wheelchair). By the pools, there is virtually no room between the lounge chairs. They are useful in the dining rooms, particularly if they provide a place for the kids to fall asleep, but your grands are getting old for that too. THey'll probably be watching all that is going on.

If you do not have connecting cabins, you might want to see if they are available. That way, you can put the kids down for naps in one cabin and an adult can hang out in the other cabin without the worry or waking them,etc. You can do the same thing by hanging out on a balcony, but the connecting cabin deal works very well!

I really splurged on this cruise. I have 2- 1 bedroom suites. I could only get 8078 and 8080. The pre concierge group emailed the ship and found out the balconies can open up so we can go back and forth that way.I hope that works for us. I also have a 5 year old grandson coming with us. I really am excited .I haven't told the kids yet as we are going out of New York in October.Thank you so much for your replies.

Sorry, no I don't have a brand to recommend. But I'm with you--I'd go with something inexpensive. You always have the "back up" of the big ones on board and since you are in a concierge suite you won't even have to go and get them. Just tell the concierge that you'd like 2 of them and you'll get them delivered to your suites.

I personally love my uppababy g-lite, but it isn't especially inexpensive.

My son will be nearly 4 when we sail. We aren't bringing a stroller, but will rent one when we get to WDW for the day. I haven't used a stroller much with him for awhile, aside from going on walks, and when we went on vacation to WDW in October. I don't bring it to the mall anymore really, unless we're doing a lot of shopping, and that's more for the bags, haha.

Which cruise will you be on? We're on the 10/15 sailing.

Edited by nicole9s

I personally love my uppababy g-lite, but it isn't especially inexpensive.

My son will be nearly 4 when we sail. We aren't bringing a stroller, but will rent one when we get to WDW for the day. I haven't used a stroller much with him for awhile, aside from going on walks, and when we went on vacation to WDW in October. I don't bring it to the mall anymore really, unless we're doing a lot of shopping, and that's more for the bags, haha.

Which cruise will you be on? We're on the 10/15 sailing.

WDW is totally different than the ship. The last time I remember using a stroller at WDW was when my daughter was 6. It is a TON of walking there. The ship is highly different. At 3 (her first cruise), I did not use a stroller on the ship.

WDW is totally different than the ship. The last time I remember using a stroller at WDW was when my daughter was 6. It is a TON of walking there. The ship is highly different. At 3 (her first cruise)' date=' I did not use a stroller on the ship.[/quote']

Right, I wouldn't think DS would need, or want, the stroller on the ship, but I wouldn't do WDW without one; especially since we aren't going to have a hotel room to return to for a midday break.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

To Nicole 9s We are on the same cruise Magic out of NY October 15.Would be nice to keep in touch. We are going to rent stroller at WDW for both of them. Still not sure about stroller on ship.

If you do decide to bring strollers on the ship, you can save the cost of renting them at WDW. At least you'll get some benefit in return for hauling them to the ship!

To Nicole 9s We are on the same cruise Magic out of NY October 15.Would be nice to keep in touch. We are going to rent stroller at WDW for both of them. Still not sure about stroller on ship.

Awesome, definitely let's keep in touch! Make sure you join the roll call for our date too. Not a lot of activity yet, but hopefully it will start to pick up.

I have looked at the roll call. I will join soon ,then we can keep in touch. Thank you everyone for the responses.After reading all the replies I will probably not bring strollers. If we need them we will use the ones on the ship.Thanks again.

• 1 month later...
You won't need a stroller on Castaway Cay as there are red wagons available as you get off the ship--load the kids and the stuff in the wagon if you choose to walk to the beach.

Oooh. Intrigued by the red wagons.

This will be our first Disney cruise. Do you/can you/should you book a red wagon in advance?

Oooh. Intrigued by the red wagons.

This will be our first Disney cruise. Do you/can you/should you book a red wagon in advance?

The wagons are a "first come, first served" basis when you get off the ship, but there are a lot of them. No reservations.

THey do make twin umbrella strollers' date=' but unless you will always be taking both kids to the same places, that's a pain. There is one brand that hooks together but can be used separately--I don't know about price on this.

It really depends on how you plan to use the strollers. The kids are big enough to do a fair amount of walking around the ship, but I can understand that they might not walk everywhere and are getting too heavy to carry. Umbrella strollers come in different sizes and prices. I'd look for something for "up to 30 pounds" or similar, but honestly I'd go as low on the price as I could. In another 6 months, they won't use a stroller except at WDW. Essentially you are looking for something to use on the trip only. For just around the ship, I wouldn't worry about the stroller being too small and uncomfortable. If they find the strollers uncomfortable, they are able to walk. The Magic is a big, but not "too big" ship.

Tell me that you have at least one more adult involved in this adventure....[/quote']

We only used the stroller to board and disembark, and on ports. Dd (singleton) walked or was carried on the The Magic, so it's not too much walking. Daddy carried her when tired.

Bbr and other places sell a clip that connects two umbrella strollers side by side, it wasn't much. I'll use strollers at home for a few places, so the clip and one more stroller is my current plan. I want them in the stroller for waiting in lines and boarding. (This worked well with dd).

I am going thru the same here. Going on disney fantasy with 4 children, 2 of whom are 2 year old twins. The disney cruise mom blog said that the strollers on board rent out very fast. Our double stroller is the macdaddy one, so will be too big to bring. We do want to have something, just in case, because with all the activity we thought the twins would be having nap "attacks". We are going to bring 2 umbrella strollers, thinking they will be easier to store in our two connecting cabins. I want umbrella strollers that have backs that recline, or else the twins can't really nap in them. Costco and Sam's club both have them, and there are a lot of gently used baby stores around me, so I will have some options. Hope that helps you some

Edited by Paigefour

I am going thru the same here. Going on disney fantasy with 4 children, 2 of whom are 2 year old twins. The disney cruise mom blog said that the strollers on board rent out very fast. Our double stroller is the macdaddy one, so will be too big to bring. We do want to have something, just in case, because with all the activity we thought the twins would be having nap "attacks". We are going to bring 2 umbrella strollers, thinking they will be easier to store in our two connecting cabins. I want umbrella strollers that have backs that recline, or else the twins can't really nap in them. Costco and Sam's club both have them, and there are a lot of gently used baby stores around me, so I will have some options. Hope that helps you some

In my opinion (that and a $5 will get you a cup of coffee), you are making the right choice. Umbrella strollers are much easier to use on the ships.

As to the big strollers running out....I saw the storage room once. They literally have a couple hundred of them. Whether they run out of not depends largely on the cruise, dates, etc. Cruises during traditional school dates have loads of preschoolers while those on school breaks have a lot more older kids.

I'm going to repeat a plea here (yes, you said you plan to store the strollers in your cabins). PLEASE do not leave strollers in the hall. It may be damaged or stolen. Teens love to play with them! And it presents a huge challenge to mobility impaired guests. Here's my quandry when I encounter a stroller in the hall--should I move it in order that my daughter can get her wheelchair or walker down the hall? But then I'm touching someone's personal property...but if I don't move it, she can't get to the elevator or wherever...Or should I knock on the cabin door and disturb the people inside where the baby may be napping, etc.

Edited by moki'smommy

I'm not sure because we haven't gone yet, but on that mom's blog site, they said you can store the strollers(folded) underneath the beds in the cabins. That's what we plan on doing. I would think storing them in hallway would not be allowed - fire hazard?

I'm not sure because we haven't gone yet, but on that mom's blog site, they said you can store the strollers(folded) underneath the beds in the cabins. That's what we plan on doing. I would think storing them in hallway would not be allowed - fire hazard?

It is not allowed, but it is not enforced either. I've done 30 DCL cruises and there are always a few who don't understand that their space is in their cabin, not in the hallway outside their cabin. Yes, folded strollers can be stored under the bed, in the closet, or in the bathtub (obviously when not in use).