Best way to book for family of 5

SimplyMarvie

This is the first time we're going to be booking a cruise as a family of five -- Me, Dh and three boys, ages 4, 8 and 10. We're looking at the Mediterranean in October, and none of the ships that work for us timing-wise have five person cabins available. (By which I mean that either they don't have them at all, or they've got one but it's in the highest suite class and not in our budget.)

For other families who have done this, especially in Europe, how have you managed it? I don't suppose it's possible to let us bring a cot for the youngest in a four-person stateroom, is it? Otherwise, I'm totally comfortable with doing inside/inside or inside/outside, but I want us to be close to one another -- connecting cabins would be ideal, but across the hall is good too. I also want to maximize the savings in having the kids at a lower fare, especially if we end up on MSC where kids sail for free(ish) with two adults in the cabin with them. I have always booked our cruises myself, but I'm wondering if this might be the time to give up and look for a TA. *sigh*

Either way, I would love some hints from more established family cruisers.

You can't put more folks in a cabin than there are beds.....has to do with lifeboat capacity. Your best bet would be to book connecting cabins....most ships have them, but they do go fast! That way, you'll be closer to the kids than you are at home...the connecting doors are IN your cabins, so you have immediate access. Put the kids in one cabin, and you in the other....their messes stay in their space, and you get a bit of privacy, but you are right there together!

The best way would be to have the ship's deck plans in front of you, and CALL the cruise line on the phone...ask what's available!

Edited by cb at sea

The Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships will have non-suite cabins that sleep 5 or more, but you won't see those online. You have to call the cruiseline.

Both lines have lots of connecting cabins too, but again, it's best to call.

I'm not sure what ships you are looking at, but I feel your pain...we have three kids too. We have gotten two connecting rooms previously, but this time we are getting a family suite on NCL star. It was not a lot more than two rooms, has three beds to sleep six, and looks beautiful. Never been on Norwegian, but the option for more than 4 convinced me to try. They also have family ocean view rooms that sleep five, although it looks tight. I think a travel agent is the way to go with more than 4 in a room, they can find what you need a lot easier.

Have a great trip!

The Royal Caribbean and Celebrity ships will have non-suite cabins that sleep 5 or more, but you won't see those online. You have to call the cruiseline.

Both lines have lots of connecting cabins too, but again, it's best to call.

Yes. We stayed in a 6 person room on a royal ship about 2 years ago. We were able to get it with 4 people because my kids are developmentally delayed and while we didn't need an HC room we did at the time need just a little bit of extra space. I booked over the phone and luckily my , idk, salesman?? at the time had an autistic younger brother so he pulled some strings and got us the room with only 4. Anyway, it was very spacious. IIRC it was called a family oceanview stateroom. They generally only book them over the phone HOwEVER if they do not sell by about 2 months before the cruise, they put them online.

RCI doesn't have any sailings that fit our timing, but I will double check. We're looking at MSC and NCL, and neither ship seems to have anything that will fit us easily that isn't at a very high suite level. *grrr* So, two insides it is!

Go with two connecting rooms!! We have two kids are are doing this for our next cruise. Was not much more than putting the four of us in one cabin. Plus then you get two bathrooms!! We booked my husband and one kid in one cabin and myself and other kid in the other.

I know this isn't always an option for people, but we were able to get my parents to do a Med cruise with us, so we booked a room for 4 and then added one child to their room, allowing us to pay the extra passenger rate for all three kids. NCL was running a promo in Europe where kids sailed for €99, and the base fare for a minisuite was pretty low at the time, so we got connecting minisuites, which gave us plenty of room.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be with a family of five.

We are a family of 4, but our last cruise connecting rooms were cheaper than getting two separate rooms. It was great to have the extra space (especially with a pack and play and baby stuff!). The extra bathroom is also nice.

If you are looking to do kids sail free or something you could invite grandparents/family/friends along since it might not increase the overall rate too much.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure it is an option, but the Dream/Magic/Breeze cabins on Carnival fit 5 and are very reasonably priced. They have a tub (nice for little kids) in one of the bathrooms in there. It is called a Deluxe Ocean View room. The couch becomes the 5th bed.

http://cruisediva.net/Carnival_dream_deluxe_pullm.jpg

https://mycruisestories.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/rooms-5-person-1393.jpg?w=648

The 2 parent beds can be pushed together to make a king.

For our Oct 15, 2017 sailing on the Carnival Dream, it was 1865 plus taxes total for all 5 of us.

Edited by luvsviola