Foreign Transaction Fees on board purchases

ocbaylady

If you purchase drink packages or can you prepay gratuities before sailing can you avoid the following notice from MSC? Can you OBC before sailings?

Why does a “Foreign Transaction Fee” appear on my credit card statement when sailing out of a US port?

Please keep in mind that although you have booked your cruise with our USA office, your passenger contract (which is included in your e-documents) does state that you are in a contract with MSC Crociere; therefore, all purchases onboard will be processed through our bank overseas. Depending on your bank or credit card Company, you may incur this fee. Please contact your local bank or credit card Company for any disputes.

Can anyone let me know if there is free iced tea, lemonade, ice water dispensers onboard?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Deb

So I can tell you this MSC uses a French bank. Initially in the states your credit will have a hold of $150 and there most likely not be a problem at that point, then of course periodically as you spend that they put more on hold at the end of the cruise it's processed thru the French bank (anything over that $150)

I was happy I saw this information on this forum. As soon as I read the craziness that goes on for Americans at the end of the cruise as far as charges being denied I alerted my bank and credit cards I was going to use about the foreign banks and have never had an issue. I was never charged an international fee either.

I pre-paid gratuities. I went thru a travel and he added them into our cost.

I had a charge from MSC France at the end of my Divina cruise. I have no international transaction fess on my credit card, so not sure if that would have caused one or not on a different car.

There was free lemonade and water in the buffets free water in the dining room. Not sure about iced tea.

Many UK banks have started doing this since the financial market ie banks, screwed up the banking sector! Another way for them to recover their losses.

Foreign transaction fees on both debit and credit cards existed long before the credit crunch in 2008. Some cards don't charge any, so,pays to shop around.

• 1 month later...
So I can tell you this MSC uses a French bank. Initially in the states your credit will have a hold of $150 and there most likely not be a problem at that point, then of course periodically as you spend that they put more on hold at the end of the cruise it's processed thru the French bank (anything over that $150)

I was happy I saw this information on this forum. As soon as I read the craziness that goes on for Americans at the end of the cruise as far as charges being denied I alerted my bank and credit cards I was going to use about the foreign banks and have never had an issue. I was never charged an international fee either.

I pre-paid gratuities. I went thru a travel and he added them into our cost.

Was told by MSC today that credit card charges are processed by a foreign bank and if your credit card company charges a foreign service fee it will appear on your credit card statement.

Was told by MSC today that credit card charges are processed by a foreign bank and if your credit card company charges a foreign service fee it will appear on your credit card statement.

I normally use my bank debit card and have not been charged that international service fee although if I used it in port it was a fee charged so not sure how I got away with not being charged with MSC account. I have a Capital One card that does not have international fees. Someone else suggested that one. I also think certain AMEX cards do not charge a fee.

That is great to know - At least I know to make my charges to my credit card that has no foreign fees

Now question as I am making my payments to pay for my cruise is that done thru a US branch?

I use a card that has a foreign transaction fee and have NOT been charged when making payments on the cruise. Good thing I booked/paid just about everything beforehand!