Lighthouse??

kg4pit

Has anybody done the excursion with the lighthouse in Cozumel?? My husband and I love lighthouses and we have been looking at this one....

Not sure what excursion you are looking at and what else is included? Who is the excursion with?

We have taken the trip to the light house with a private driver quite easily or you can get a taxi from dispatch but make sure you arrange for him to stay with you, or return at set time as it is not easy to get a ride back from there when you are done.

Ditto on what C-leg5 said.

There is an admission to the lighthouse/eco park at Punta Sur. It's a steep narrow climb up to the top but you'll get a great view of the east side at least up to Coconuts, if its clear.

When you're ready to leave, have your taxi or driver for the day (best route to go IMO) if you book in advance, take you to Rasta's which is practically just outside the Eco Park entrance. Some of the best beach seafood, good drinks, , good service and a really nice beach. Don't be put off by the Bob Marley mural. Then take a ride along the east side and look at the blow holes. At one time, many years ago, you could hike tot he smaller lighthouse on the northern end, but I don't believe they ever reopened the road to the public.

What I was looking at was an excursion through Carnival....I don't think we want to venture out on our own. The excursion sounds pretty good...includes some beach time too... We've been to Cozumel several times but never knew about the lighthouse....

That excursion/ beach club down at Punta Sur has gotten good reviews. I'll look back in older folders and see if I can bring up a few pictures. I haven't been to the beach club there. It's relatively new and we got rained/washed out in Coz in January so didn't go anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

A group of 4 of us will be on a cruise in February and there will be 7 ships in port that day. Two of us have been to Chankanaab (about 8 years ago) so are a little more familiar with it but not sure how busy it will be, since it is closer to ships. We were thinking instead to try somewhere new and visit Punta Sur for the day. We don't want to book an excursion, just get a taxi when we arrive and drive to Punta Sur. How far of a drive is it compared to Chankanaab and roughly what would a taxi cost for 4 of us? Once there, is everything in walking distance (lighthouse, crocodile boardwalk, beach for relaxing, swimming & snorkeling, food/drinks) Would it also be possible/worth it to stop at the blow holes on way back if time? Any other input/suggestions are appreciated. :)

We took a Jeep tour to Punta Sur (offered through Royal Caribbean) last week. If I remember the road signs correctly, it's about 25 kilometers (so 15 miles) from the International Pier to the park.

Other than maybe the lighthouse and the crocodile boardwalk, which are about 3/4 of a mile apart, I wouldn't say anything is really walkably close in the park. The beach clubs are quite a ways down the road from the lighthouse.

If you find the park in Google Earth, you can actually follow Street View along most of the road. It might give you a feel for the distances.

A group of 4 of us will be on a cruise in February and there will be 7 ships in port that day. Two of us have been to Chankanaab (about 8 years ago) so are a little more familiar with it but not sure how busy it will be, since it is closer to ships. We were thinking instead to try somewhere new and visit Punta Sur for the day. We don't want to book an excursion, just get a taxi when we arrive and drive to Punta Sur. How far of a drive is it compared to Chankanaab and roughly what would a taxi cost for 4 of us? Once there, is everything in walking distance (lighthouse, crocodile boardwalk, beach for relaxing, swimming & snorkeling, food/drinks) Would it also be possible/worth it to stop at the blow holes on way back if time? Any other input/suggestions are appreciated. :)

You would be best to look at the rates through Papitos Beach Club. (Careful, some include transport and some don't so you need to take that into consideration; also, entrance fee to park.) I think it is too far to walk between amenities.

If you want to visit the blowholes you would be best to book a driver for the day that stays with you. We always use ToursPlaza and reserve in advance, or you could negotiate a number of hours with a taxi at the port. That way you can take a circular trip round the island if you wanted instead of just back and forth, the same route by a taxi.

Edited by c-leg5

We took a Jeep tour to Punta Sur (offered through Royal Caribbean) last week. If I remember the road signs correctly, it's about 25 kilometers (so 15 miles) from the International Pier to the park.

Other than maybe the lighthouse and the crocodile boardwalk, which are about 3/4 of a mile apart, I wouldn't say anything is really walkably close in the park. The beach clubs are quite a ways down the road from the lighthouse.

If you find the park in Google Earth, you can actually follow Street View along most of the road. It might give you a feel for the distances.

Sounds like you did the excursion I am thinking of doing. Would you mind answering a couple of questions? If I do this excursion it would be my niece and I. I prefer not to drive. Is that possible? My niece is a pretty decent pool swimmer. But the ocean is a whole other beast. Did you think the snorkeling portion was easy? Thanks

Sounds like you did the excursion I am thinking of doing. Would you mind answering a couple of questions? If I do this excursion it would be my niece and I. I prefer not to drive. Is that possible? My niece is a pretty decent pool swimmer. But the ocean is a whole other beast. Did you think the snorkeling portion was easy? Thanks

They try to put four people in each Jeep, so hopefully you could get matched up with another couple that is willing to drive.

As for the snorkeling....we just sat on the beach, so I don't really know. (The snorkelers in my family had hit it pretty hard at Roatan the day before and were just worn out.) It looked like the reef was pretty far out, but the sea seemed calm along the beach.