Sawyer Glaciers

NoobCruise

So we're thinking of booking another Alaskan cruise. We sailed on the Westerdam a few years ago, out of Seattle to Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria B.C.

This time, we want to sail out of Vancouver, and probably either Tracy Arm, Hubbard Glacier, or College Fjord. Is the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm better than the ship sailing in? We had the small boat excursion booked out of Juneau last time, and when we went to meet our group for it, it was cancelled. So, we'd like to try again, but I'm debating the excursion or the ship

So we're thinking of booking another Alaskan cruise. We sailed on the Westerdam a few years ago, out of Seattle to Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria B.C.

This time, we want to sail out of Vancouver, and probably either Tracy Arm, Hubbard Glacier, or College Fjord. Is the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm better than the ship sailing in? We had the small boat excursion booked out of Juneau last time, and when we went to meet our group for it, it was cancelled. So, we'd like to try again, but I'm debating the excursion or the ship

Yes, a small boat excursion is definitely the best. The high tides can prevent the ship from getting too close, but that's not the case for a smaller boat.

We have been on two cruises into Tracy Arm back in 02 and 03 - the Sky got fairly close in 02 - but three large icebergs kept us out - so the captain ordered the ships photographer to take the zodiac into the basin and get some photos - as the glacier was actively calving. Yes we had to buy the photos- but they were great. In 03 we made it about the same distance - different captain he turned around and left.

Now fwd to 2012 and our third AK cruise we opted to take the small boat tour out of Juneau - it was interesting to see the changes and how much the glaciers had retreated - North Sawyer has receded to the point where it is almost invisible from the main channel - I have photos from 02 where we could easily see it. It was also neat to be in the basin in a small boat and watch her calving (listening too).

I highly recommend the small boat tours of Tracy Arm.

I also recommend seeing Glacier Bay

You need more than one cruise to see Alaska :D