Carnival Sunshine vs Norwegian Escape

Jenslocumb13

Hi there. I could really use some advice. We are considering a cruise with our children (ages 10, 15) and other family members over Thanksgiving. As of today, Carnival Sunshine does not have any quads available so we would have to book two cabins. Initially with a quad the pricing on this ship was so much lower than any other that it was our top choice. Since the pricing is now comparable with other ships we are looking at our options. I have narrowed it down to the Sunshine and NCL Escape. Pricing is comparible but Carnival leaves out of Port Canaveral and NCL leaves out of Miami. We would be driving from Atlanta so it certainly adds time to our drive to go to Miami. Anyone have advice on one ship over the other? The ports of call are good on both, pricing is comparable and both look like good choices for kids. I am just having a hard time making a decision and would love any input you can provide. Thanks!

Hi there. I could really use some advice. We are considering a cruise with our children (ages 10, 15) and other family members over Thanksgiving. As of today, Carnival Sunshine does not have any quads available so we would have to book two cabins. Initially with a quad the pricing on this ship was so much lower than any other that it was our top choice. Since the pricing is now comparable with other ships we are looking at our options. I have narrowed it down to the Sunshine and NCL Escape. Pricing is comparible but Carnival leaves out of Port Canaveral and NCL leaves out of Miami. We would be driving from Atlanta so it certainly adds time to our drive to go to Miami. Anyone have advice on one ship over the other? The ports of call are good on both, pricing is comparable and both look like good choices for kids. I am just having a hard time making a decision and would love any input you can provide. Thanks!

Escape is a much bigger ship, and much newer. Having sailed Carnival twice and NCL twice, I feel Escape is much nicer with more to do. I am a huge fan of the freestyle cruising dining, and find the food comparable. The pool deck and pools are not as user friendly on Escape vs Sunshine [we sailed her when she was Destiny, and have heard the pool situation only improved). I find the service better on NCL, but I believe gratuities are higher at NCL vs Carnival. Remember, there will be at least 1000 more cruisers on Escape.

I haven't sailed the Escape yet, so i will let other comment on that.

We did the 8 night Southern Caribbean on the Sunshine about a year and a half ago. We really enjoyed it. With the updates it was a lot nice than before, and the Adults only area was awesome. The Guys burgers, and Blue iguana were fantastic additions. There were times where it felt a little cramped, mostly at the buffet between 12-1 and you had to show up early to get good seats for the comedy club. Overall it's a very nice ship, but we don't have kids, so they may would enjoy the Escape more.

We live in Athens, and the drive between Port Canaveral and Miami is quite a jump! That alone would be a big factor to me, but I'm not a fan of long drives, I would have to fly if we were going to Miami.

The other thing you didn't mention is the itinerary, that would play a big factor for me.

Also as a footnote, dont rule out flying on Southwest. They have been known to have $49-$69 fares to Orlando or even Fort Lauderdale. The drive down from GA isnt bad but the drive home is awful. Especially as get past Macon. The last 100 miles can take forever!!!!!! Just my two cents

So much helpful advice! Thank you all! We booked Escape yesterday and I will definitely keep an eye on the Southwest fares!

I think that's a good choice re: Escape! of course, theres no such thing as a bad cruise! Were you in time to get the perks, and hopefully you don't have to wait to long to cruise!

I am new to cruise critic and hate to begin with a complaint. I, too was a proponent of "there is no bad cruise" until cruising the sunshine in mid january 2016. I found too many bottlenecks any time we wanted to:

1) eat

2)get a pool chair

3) get a coffee

4)get an elevator

5) move anywhere

i have been on 6 carnival cruises before and never encompassed this type of herding. I am off carnival for a while with their lack of reply on my issues about other things, coupled with the "moooving" problems.

Port canaveral is our go to port as well, so check your sailing preferences as they rotate ships after the fall transatlantics return.

Don't lose your sunny cruise disposition on the sunshine

I was on the Sunshine last year in December. This is a small ship that has been refurbished. The main lobby area is very small.

I also took my family of 11 on the Norwegian Getaway, which is about the same as the Escape, and they absolutely loved it. There is so much to do. You will be so happy with your choice.

I'm just a few points away from Platinum on Carnival, and unfortunately not loving them right now. Have a great time!