Cunard Calls Upcoming Queen Mary 2 Refurb "Most Significant" for Line

LauraS

Still no answer as to whether the Corinthia Lounge food offerings are included or at an extra cost. Can't imagine with its close proximity to the Lido how an extra charge breakfast and lunch would work out but one never knows with the bean counters.

Overall the refit looks fabulous. I am booked in the new 13th floor inside cabin for the B-B December TA. Could make for an interesting ride. Not to mention the 10 floor walk up and down to the Britannia Dining Room and the bulk of the public space.

I found the highlighted part (regarding the Queen Victoria) interesting...

"Thirty additional Britannia Club Balcony cabins, giving more passengers access to the exclusive Britannia Club Restaurant (which will also be expanded during the refurb). Britannia Club Balcony rooms, which are already available on Queen Elizabeth, will also be added to Queen Victoria when the ship goes into dry dock in 2017."

So, no more Chart Room on QV? And a new near-vertical stern (with larger pool area) as seen on QE?

Anyone have further details or more information?

Edited by pepperrn

I note that the marking person said most significant for Carnival Corp UK.

As far as looking at Cunard over my life time, I'd say that the QE2 repower was definitely more significant in that it allowed the ship to stay in service.

I'd also say that the QE2 re-imaging in 1994 gives the current QM2 upgrade a run for its money as well.

Aloha,

John

"Thirty additional Britannia Club Balcony cabins, giving more passengers access to the exclusive Britannia Club Restaurant (which will also be expanded during the refurb). Britannia Club Balcony rooms, which are already available on Queen Elizabeth, will also be added to Queen Victoria when the ship goes into dry dock in 2017."

So, no more Chart Room on QV? And a new near-vertical stern (with larger pool area) as seen on QE?

On another thread Salacia posted the following link to a website which mentions Britannia Club dining to replace the Chart Room on the QV, but no mention of extra cabins.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cunard-debuts-largest-programme-launch-ever-featuring-2017-voyages-and-2018-world--exotic-voyages-programme-300235200.html

Hello

It is too bad Cunard is apparently removing the Chart Room in favor of a dining room for Britannia Club passengers. I don't why carving out space in the regular dining room as was done on the QM2 cannot be arranged.

Deck Chair

On another thread Salacia posted the following link to a website which mentions Britannia Club dining to replace the Chart Room on the QV, but no mention of extra cabins.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cunard-debuts-largest-programme-launch-ever-featuring-2017-voyages-and-2018-world--exotic-voyages-programme-300235200.html

Thank you Ray66 and Salacia, sorry that I missed reading it carefully :o (I think I kinda-half-read press releases and the like as I find the overuse of superlatives etc irritating).

I enjoyed the Chart Room on QV one evening when I couldn't find an empty seat in the Commodore Club. Whilst nicely decorated I did feel I was sitting in a wide corridor and wished they'd provided some screening to give the space a more intimate feel.

(I note it also states "... Queen Mary 2 will enter 2017 with every stateroom on board refurbished as part of the ship's dramatic remastering taking place this year... " which I believe is incorrect?)

I guess we all suspected that this alteration/rebuilding on QV would happen one day.

Edited by pepperrn

Hello

If they remove the Chart Room in favor of a dining room for Britannia Club it will mean one less room for passengers to lounge causing crowding perhaps overcrowding in the other rooms such as the Commodore Club. At least that is what I found on a Baltic cruise on the QE in 2012. Not good and one reason I avoid that ship if possible. Again, I don't see why Cunard can't just carve out space in the existing dining room and spare the Chart Room.

I agree that the Chart Room on QV is on an open corridor and not the fabulous distinctive room it is on the QM2. It is still nice space and a good place to just watch the sea go by or read a book. In the evening it is a nice space for pre-dinner drinks and after dinner entertainment.

I don't see them adding more cabins on the QV but just designating some outside cabins "Britannia Club" on deck 8 as they did on QE. In my opinion, deck 8 is not the best place to be because of noise from the deck above.

Any thoughts?

Deck Chair

"...In addition to the reveals made on Queen Mary 2's refit, Cunard announced it will be adding Britannia Club staterooms to Queen Victoria in her next dry-dock scheduled for June 2017, due in part to the stateroom categories exceedingly popular appeal on Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth..." - copied from http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cunard-announces-new-details-on-remastering-of-queen-mary-2-and-queen-victoria-at-seatrade-cruise-global-300236881.html

Hello

While Cunard informs us that they will be "adding" Britannia Club cabins it is very unclear if that means that will be actually constructing new cabins or just adding by assigning existing cabins "Britannia Club" as was done on QE. Am I missing something? The bottom line for me is that if they remove the Chart Room I will also avoid that ship if at all possible.

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair

Hello

While Cunard informs us that they will be "adding" Britannia Club cabins it is very unclear if that means that will be actually constructing new cabins or just adding by assigning existing cabins "Britannia Club" as was done on QE. Am I missing something? The bottom line for me is that if they remove the Chart Room I will also avoid that ship if at all possible.

Deck Chair

Hi Deck Chair. I understand what you're saying, and I agree it's not terribly clear if regular Britannia balcony cabins will simply be re-categorized as Britannia Club (after all, there is no difference in the cabin itself).

The reasons why I lean towards the literal meaning that they will be adding new cabins is because they could have simple conveyed in some fashion that categories will be changed to reflect the addition of Britannia Club category, plus adding cabins equals substantially increased revenue. Precedent has been set by the planned addition of 45 cabins on QM2. Of course, I could be totally wrong in taking Cunard's statement literally (won't be the first time :-)

Cheers,

Salacia

A pain they are introducing tea and coffee in all cabins - just taking up room.

As a habitual tea drinker, I'm happy about the installation of tea makers in the cabins, but from Cunard's statement, I understand that is only happening on QM2 - or is there information that it is happening fleet-wide? Thanks, -S.

Thank you Ray66 and Salacia, sorry that I missed reading it carefully :o (I think I kinda-half-read press releases and the like as I find the overuse of superlatives etc irritating).

I enjoyed the Chart Room on QV one evening when I couldn't find an empty seat in the Commodore Club. Whilst nicely decorated I did feel I was sitting in a wide corridor and wished they'd provided some screening to give the space a more intimate feel.

(I note it also states "... Queen Mary 2 will enter 2017 with every stateroom on board refurbished as part of the ship's dramatic remastering taking place this year... " which I believe is incorrect?)

I guess we all suspected that this alteration/rebuilding on QV would happen one day.

Hi Pepper. Looks like the schedule for QM2's cabins being "remastered" has been accelerated:confused:. Here's another source: "...Yesterday it was announced all staterooms will be remastered by the start of the ship’s 2017 World Cruise...."http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/shipping/14347911.Cunard_reveals_plans_for_investment_in_Queen_Victoria_ship/

Edited to add: However according to Cunard website "Half of Britannia Balcony staterooms to be refurbished during dry-dock refit

All Britannia staterooms refurbished over 2016 and 2017." :confused: -http://www.cunard.com/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/remastered/remastered-britannia-staterooms-qm2/

Edited by Salacia

That link to the article in the Daily Echo and the one to the PR Newswire website both say about the QV:

Cunard announced it will be adding Britannia Club staterooms to Queen Victoria in her next dry-dock scheduled for June 2017

However there are 3 cruises shown for June 2017 and as there are no cruises announced for May, so presumably the refit is actually in May.

That link to the article in the Daily Echo and the one to the PR Newswire website both say about the QV:

Cunard announced it will be adding Britannia Club staterooms to Queen Victoria in her next dry-dock scheduled for June 2017

However there are 3 cruises shown for June 2017 and as there are no cruises announced for May, so presumably the refit is actually in May.

That hole in the schedule combined with subtle hints by Cunard implies a substantial amount of time in dry dock for QV. Funny way for CCL to drip out the news - not so much subtle as it is curious. Why put the ship back in dry dock so soon after the last re-fit???

Edited by Salacia

Are they really going to go vertical with the QV stern? If so, such a shame. It's the only thing that gives the QV any character. The QE is a typical Vista class tub in comparison. Packing more sardines in the can is no way to promote or effect a luxury experience. I guess an industry that's capacity constrained really doesn't care. Premium maybe, Luxury not.

I posted this on another thread, so please pardon the repetition - but this is relevant to some previous posts above regarding the QV refit in June 2017...

"...On the Queen Victoria, which goes into dry dock in June 2017, 39 balcony staterooms will be converted to Britannia Club Staterooms. In addition, the back of the ship will be extended to create a similar look to Queen Elizabeth, and in the newly created space, 30 Britannia staterooms will be added, bringing the total staterooms to 1,034..." (emphasis mine) http://www.miamiherald.com/living/travel/cruises/article67028307.html

Edited by Salacia