Which cruise line is best for a vegan?

mfvt

• 7 months later...

We are currently on the Regal Princess on a transatlantic cruise. We are both vegan and find they are of little help. We can "forage" for sufficient food, but the choices are limited and Princess DOES NOT CARE.

We contacted the maitre d, he told us to talk to the head waiter, he told us to talk to the assistant head waiter, and she had no idea what we were talking about. We registered our food preferences 6 months in advance. I should not have to "create a scene" to get fed.

We will not come back.

VCrusie,

I am amazed you're having such a difficult time on Princess. I have vegan friends in the US who have sailed on other ships of theirs with no problem. We had a fab week onboard Royal Princess last August ourselves. Looks like service varies terribly depending on the ship you're on. So sorry to hear it's awkward for you.

Please do complain when you get home - it is clear there is knowledge within the company if some ships can cater. That knowledge just needs to be passed along so ensure everyone performs to such great standard.

Meanwhile, HAL should have a new veggie/vegan menu on their ships.

Hope this doesn't put you off cruising - and do try some of the vegan cruises :)

Find an Indian waiter (sorry to generalise here, but many of them are /understand that kind of culinary foibles ) and get friendly with him/her and explain your needs.

I am confused by your suggestion of "Find an Indian waiter". I have worked for more than a decade with Indians who were vegetarians or Jain vegetarians (no onions, potatoes, garlic, brinjals) or pesco-vegetarians (coastal parts of India) or avoided red meat or would eat chicken 1 to 2 days per week but none of them were vegans who avoided dairy products. Most will eat egg as a non primary in bread or cakes. Plain yogurt (Greek style) is served with Tamil and Dum Biryani as southern Indian food can be very spicy. Northern Indian food frequently uses heavy cream sauces.

I had vegetarian Tamil for lunch which had a plain yogurt.

Hi,

Regal Princess of Princess cruise line has a great buffet. There are lots of vegan choices to choose from. I have only eaten there at lunch time. But I recall seeing, lots of fresh veggies, veggie salads, grilled veggies, veggie pastas, hummus, curry veggies dishes, lentils, fruit plus more. And this would be at one lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

We did not find the Regal Princess hot buffet to be vegan (or even vegetarian) friendly. ( They had good salad bars and fruit was always available.)

The vegetable dishes were drowned in butter. Rarely was there a vegetarian hot dish and only once in 14 days was there a hot vegan dish. They made two vegetarian standards, pasta y fagioli and ratatouille with CHICKEN STOCK. They even insisted that they always added cheese to their pasta dishes....thanks SO much Princess.