Freedom of the Seas vs Celebrity Silhouette

(Cross posting on Celebrity and RCL boards)

Just looking for thoughts....trying to decide between Silhouette or Freedom.

This cruise will be a daddy/daughter cruise (I'm 40, he's 68) - I just took him on his first cruise on the Reflection and he really liked it.

I've cruised about 12 times, my favourite is Celebrity. Been on Carnival, Royal, Celebrity and NCL.

I did like the Allure, but even I found it a bit too big - so it will be too big for my dad. The Reflection was great - and I know that the Silhouette is her sister ship so it will be very similar. But at the same time, I've always wanted to go on the Freedom of the Seas, and I'd like to show him something different.

It will be late January - early Feb 2017 - trying to avoid too many kids :).

I know the weather might be warmer in March but it's spring break.

The itineraries are similar, but the Silhouette is a 7 night and the Freedom a 6 night.

Both are out of Fort Lauderdale. We will be flying from Toronto.

Silhouette goes to Coco Cay, Cozumel, Georgetown; Grand Cayman and Falmouth Jamaica.

Freedom goes to Georgetown ; Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Puerto Costa Maya Mexico.

I'm not familiar at all with Puerto Costa Maya - the rest I've been to.

Any comments, thoughts? On what you would choose? I know the Silhouette will be great - but I almost want to try Freedom - I have heard good things about it and it would be a little different.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Silhouette is like a smaller version of Quantum class. Even the cabins are similar in size and layout.

Freedom has the Royal Promenade with the three decks of PR cabins overlooking it and since it is an extended Voyager class is a very long ship to walk from end to end. The Panoramic view forward on deck 12 cabins on Freedom are very nice and large.

We're on Anthem now and just visited Costa Maya and Falmouth and found both to be interesting. Falmouth town is right outside cruise terminal while town for Costa Maya, Mahahual, is about a mile away and is only a beach strip tourist area but does offer good SCUBA diving and snorkeling close to shore. Shopping is better at Cozumel and Grand Cayman which we've gone into also this cruise so that is a wash.

IMO, I would go with the extra night on Silhouette as well as preferring the ship better overall. We're from near Toronto also so if flying to Florida for cruising we always try for the longest cruise or cruises possible.

That's a tough choice but unless you rock climb or flowride, I'd go with the extra night on Silhouette. We haven't sailed Silhouette yet but have her booked and we've been on Reflection. Freedom is a great ship too but we enjoy the specialty dining more on Celebrity's S Class than Royal's Freedom Class. I think the shows will be about the same and contrary to popular opinion, the sidewalks don't roll-up on Celebrity after 10:00 pm. Have a great cruise no matter what you decide. ;)

We have been on both cruise lines, (not Silhouette, but Eclipse and Solstice) and on RC, all 3 Freedom class ships. The Freedom would have the ice skating show, which is very good. But overall, I think the Celebrity ship would give you a much better overall cruise experience, especially since it is 1 night longer.

Food is very subjective, but having been on both RC and Celebrity just last month, we felt the food on Celebrity in the MDR was much superior than on RC. Also, Celebrity has a nice amenity offer now with 2 perks.

I did look at the 8 day. It's not out of the possibilities but it was a full 1/3 more for one extra night. We already have to do an overnight in Toronto the night before the flight and the night in FL the night before the cruise so it's already quite a long vacation. (Hard to get that many days off for me).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I did look at the 8 day. It's not out of the possibilities but it was a full 1/3 more for one extra night. We already have to do an overnight in Toronto the night before the flight and the night in FL the night before the cruise so it's already quite a long vacation. (Hard to get that many days off for me).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Totally understandable.

I just wanted to put it out there.

You can see my comparison further down the page . We have sailed both, most recently spending two weeks on Freedom. Both are nice ships with friendly crew. With kids there is no question I would choose Freedom. With dad, and I am 77, there is no question I would choose Celebrity.