Economical hotels in Fort Lauderdale

dheianevans

Any recommendations for a place near the airport that won't break the bank yet avoids some of the more colorful reviews on Tripadvisor? I was looking to avoid the places that, you know, say "Sheriffs led another guest away...".

Our budget might be a bit higher if we fly into PBI and Tri-Rail it to Fort Lauderdale so any good places near the train station I'd be open to as well.

Thanks.

Edited by dheianevans

Looking at Apr 23. I'd say $150US or less. I have started searching but would love suggestions from people who have stayed there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Try priceline.I got the Riverside for 150 us plus tax for April 8.I bid downtown FLL 3 star

I booked the Cambria Suites Ft lauderdale airport for 99$ a night on there web site pre paid for April 10th I was booked at the sleep inn & suites ft lauderdale airport for 87$. (actually stayed there in November and gave it a great review) but then I read about the horrible smell and dirty rooms and cancelled.

If the Fort Lauderdale part of the trip is literally a place to rest our heads overnight are there parts of the city we can expand our search to where our hotel dollar might go further? That is, we don't need to be near the beach, shopping, etc.

If the Fort Lauderdale part of the trip is literally a place to rest our heads overnight are there parts of the city we can expand our search to where our hotel dollar might go further? That is, we don't need to be near the beach, shopping, etc.

Check out airport area hotels (address will probably be Dania Beach). Many of them have free shuttles from the airport and some have shuttles (usually not free) to Port Everglades. Hotels in Plantation may be cheaper but unless you can get one with free shuttles (check out the Hampton Inn; there may be others) you will eat up your savings paying for transportation.

Added: forget Hampton Inn - it is $184 on its website. Unfortunately April is still high season (the tail end of high season) and the prices are still pretty high. As you look for a hotel don't forget to include the price of transportation; you might get hotels much further away from the airport and the port at lower rates but transportation costs will be that much higher.

Edited by capriccio

In this thread you are talking of three components - accommodation, ground transportation and flights. The key is to take these 3 as a whole, and get the combo that best meets your financial and logistical needs.

Put in a more practical (and hopefully less pretentious-sounding ;)) way: you are talking of taking the tri-rail, which is definitely your cheaper ground transport option. However, reserving a hotel convenient to the train could end up being more expensive. Look at renting a car for your transport, and all of a sudden you can greatly expand your hotel area to places not easily accessible by public transport. Boca Raton and Pompano Beach if flying into PBI or FLL, or Hollywood if flying into MIA or FLL, would be places I would look.

In this thread you are talking of three components - accommodation, ground transportation and flights. The key is to take these 3 as a whole, and get the combo that best meets your financial and logistical needs.

Put in a more practical (and hopefully less pretentious-sounding ;)) way: you are talking of taking the tri-rail, which is definitely your cheaper ground transport option. However, reserving a hotel convenient to the train could end up being more expensive. Look at renting a car for your transport, and all of a sudden you can greatly expand your hotel area to places not easily accessible by public transport. Boca Raton and Pompano Beach if flying into PBI or FLL, or Hollywood if flying into MIA or FLL, would be places I would look.

Thanks. A car rental is not an option but at least with the fares so much lower to PBI than FLL we do have wiggle room. Definitely a spreadsheet task adding up flights, room and taxi/shuttle before we make our decision. You even have to take into account if there's food options nearby vs. over-priced hotel restaurants. Booking the cruise is the easy part!

Thanks to Hotwire, was able to land the Riverside for $150 Canadian or about 115 US.

That is a shame because you've gotten a hotel in the very best part of town. It is on the water taxi route and in the middle of the best shopping, dining, and attractions in Fort Lauderdale.

You are in the middle of about 50 restaurants on an absolutely gorgeous boulevard.

As luck would have it we managed last night to score a price drop on a mid morning PBI flight instead of a late night FLL one. So we'll be able to stroll Las Olas after all.

Now I guess we have to decide whether to go with plan A and take the tri-rail or look for a good price on a car service and avoid the whole PBI-shuttle-trirail-taxi rigamarole. Any suggestions there would be welcome. ☺