On BA - Horseshoe Beach on last day

sayla27

Thinking of going to HB on my last day in port (departing at 3 pm). Don't normally do things on my own but the cruise is 3x the price for the same "excursion". What time does the shuttle start running? What time should I plan to leave the beach to get back to the Dockyard on time? Thanks!

Recently WEDCO (West End Development Corp) has introduced a minibus shuttle service from dockyard to Horseshoe and other south shore beaches. Return fare is $16 per person. The service starts at 8am at dockyard and the last return minibus from the beach is at 6pm.

rosebud513 - Thank you for your reply. Do you know how long it takes to get back from the beach to the Dockyard?

A route #7 public bus takes about 40 minutes from HSB > Dockyard. A shuttle or taxi would be less. Waiting times and the time to walk to the bus stop are not included.

And a minor correction. It was posted that for the shuttle the "Return fare is $16 per person". That should read the roundtrip fare us $16.00.

SBtS

A route #7 public bus takes about 40 minutes from HSB > Dockyard. A shuttle or taxi would be less. Waiting times and the time to walk to the bus stop are not included.

And a minor correction. It was posted that for the shuttle the "Return fare is $16 per person". That should read the roundtrip fare us $16.00.

SBtS

" Return" in British usage means the same as "roundtrip" does in American usage, so I suspect that's what the poster was saying.

Edited by njhorseman

We went there on our last day. We took a taxi both ways to make sure we made the best of our time there.

We plan to go to horseshoe bay on our last day which is a Sunday,ship departs at 4 pm inapril. We plan to take taxi both ways. Is taxi available?

I emailed 2 taxi company to make reservations ahead but no answer.

Thanks,

Maria

We plan to go to horseshoe bay on our last day which is a Sunday,ship departs at 4 pm inapril. We plan to take taxi both ways. Is taxi available?

I emailed 2 taxi company to make reservations ahead but no answer.

Thanks,

Maria

There's probably not going to be a lot of people there on a Sunday in April because it's almost certainly going to be too cold for most people to go to the beach (average air and water temperatures in the mid 60's to low 70's). As a result I wouldn't count on there being an ample supply of taxis waiting there.

I'm not aware of reservations being taken in advance for taxi service, other than by the individual blue flag certified tour guide drivers who offer offer taxi tours on a rate per hour rental basis. Taxis are owned by individuals, and the taxi companies just act as central dispatch services for the drivers who affiliate with them.

Edited by njhorseman

Are taxis regular car type up to 4 people? How much for a taxi each way to Horseshoe Beach?

Most taxis are mini van type vehicles of two sizes. The smaller taxis carry up to 4 passengers, the larger up to 7. Figure about $35 plus tip for 1 -4 passengers from Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay Monday through Saturday, with a 25% surcharge for Sundays. 5 - 7 passengers will be about $45 plus tip with a 50% surcharge for Sunday travel.

There's probably not going to be a lot of people there on a Sunday in April because it's almost certainly going to be too cold for most people to go to the beach (average air and water temperatures in the mid 60's to low 70's). As a result I wouldn't count on there being an ample supply of taxis waiting there.

I'm not aware of reservations being taken in advance for taxi service, other than by the individual blue flag certified tour guide drivers who offer offer taxi tours on a rate per hour rental basis. Taxis are owned by individuals, and the taxi companies just act as central dispatch services for the drivers who affiliate with them.

Our ship will be in Hamilton. I am thinking a taxi ride from there to Warwick Lang beach , walk to horse beach and swim if possible.

How long is it to take a leisurely walk/ photos from Warwick to horseshoe beach?

Is bus available from horseshoe ? Time of bus to catch to be in Hamilton by 2:30 pm? Any other info you can give us will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Maria

Our ship will be in Hamilton. I am thinking a taxi ride from there to Warwick Lang beach , walk to horse beach and swim if possible.

How long is it to take a leisurely walk/ photos from Warwick to horseshoe beach?

Is bus available from horseshoe ? Time of bus to catch to be in Hamilton by 2:30 pm? Any other info you can give us will be greatly appreciated.

A leisurely walk from Warwick to Horseshoe could be done in 90 minutes which is just my SWAG. The straight line distance between the beaches is about .5 miles, but you won't be walking a straight line.

There is a bus stop on South Rd near the beginning of the access road to HSB. Inbound #7 buses run about every 15 minutes, weekdays & Saturday. Travel time to Hamilton is about 25 minutes.

I would be at the bus stop on South Rd by 1:30.

SBtS

A leisurely walk from Warwick to Horseshoe could be done in 90 minutes which is just my SWAG. The straight line distance between the beaches is about .5 miles, but you won't be walking a straight line.

There is a bus stop on South Rd near the beginning of the access road to HSB. Inbound #7 buses run about every 15 minutes, weekdays & Saturday. Travel time to Hamilton is about 25 minutes.

I would be at the bus stop on South Rd by 1:30.

SBtS

I don't agree with your times.

30 minutes is more than enough time for a leisurely walk and it can be easily done in 20.

Mon. - Sat. #7 buses bound for Hamilton run every 15 minutes, BUT the poster has previously said they are going to the beach on Sunday, and on Sunday they run every 30 minutes.

You have to allow for buses being full as many people will be returning to the ship, so I would be at the bus stop no later than 1 pm to be on the safe side.

Based on the 2015 bus schedule, a #7 bus departs Barnes Corner for Hamilton every 30 minutes starting at 10:19AM until 5:00PM; a #7 bus departs the Dockyard for Hamilton every 30 minutes starting at 10:50AM until 5:50PM. Both use South Rd.

The bus schedule is open to change.

SBtS

30 minutes is more than enough time for a leisurely walk and it can be easily done in 20.

Agree here. I had a family of five--including a 10 year old, a six year old and and 8 year old who had broken his leg earlier in the summer, and it probably took the five of us about 40-45 minutes. Someone moving faster (e.g. not with kids, especially one convalescing from a leg injury) could do it much more quickly.