Singapore - Need hotel & restaurant recommendations

Emtbsam

Dear Embtsam,

I see you have had many replies to your post - all of them good - and also subjective - personal to the recipient.

I think you need to ask yourself - where do I need to be? Do you want to be downtown? In the melee that is Orchard Road? - the chicness of the Marina Bay area? - are you flying out the same day or the next day? - therefore would it better to be near the airport?

There are as many good hotels and restaurants as there are numbers of days in the year and then some.

Spend some time looking at ones you may consider and what they offer and also what do I want to do in Singapore - shop - sightsee - and then chose accordingly - rather than spend ages travelling on the MRT.

We love Singapore and know it well, but there are so many choices - only you two can decide what you want from Singapore.

Wishing you luck in your decision - and - let us know what you decide in due course.!!

All good wishes to you both

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• 3 weeks later...
The Valley Wing at The Shangri La wins hands down for me after twenty years of visiting Singapore every year, I have tried them all!!

The Valley Wing suites are superb as is the private check in, lounge with complimentary drinks and last Christmas Perrier Jouet Champagne all day, it is rather like Silver Sea, but on land.

Hello Perfectionistcruiser,

I have booked a Valley Wing Room for three nights, December 30th through January 2nd. I have also booked a Crest Suite at Swissotel The Stamford. Both are cancellable. I am leaning towards the Valley Wing at the Shangri-La. I think the primary benefit of the Crest Suite is that we would be able to watch the NYE fireworks from our balcony rather than fighting crowds. Given the choices, would you still prefer the Valley Wing?

Thank you,

Carrie

Hello Perfectionistcruiser,

I have booked a Valley Wing Room for three nights, December 30th through January 2nd. I have also booked a Crest Suite at Swissotel The Stamford. Both are cancellable. I am leaning towards the Valley Wing at the Shangri-La. I think the primary benefit of the Crest Suite is that we would be able to watch the NYE fireworks from our balcony rather than fighting crowds. Given the choices, would you still prefer the Valley Wing?

Thank you,

Carrie

Hi Carrie,

I haven't stayed in either hotel so my advice isn't about which hotel is best. I'm not clear whether you know Singapore well or not.

My advice is if you like fireworks then the Crest Suite in Swisshotel is to die for in terms of view. Singapore is a real bunfight on nye fireworks and assuming you have a balcony, although the display is short it is an opportunity not to be missed even if the other hotel is better. To be honest I am jealous. I think you are also behind the stage and will be able to watch the nye party both on TV and from your balcony. That is good. Singapore does this stuff well. You will also be able to see the laser light show but this is best from One Fullerton. As it happens we arrive a few days later than nye and we're staying in Singapore for a month or so. It is a very livable place. We'll be staying in Singapore two or three extended stays in 2017, we had three last year.

On the OPs question, the thing about Singapore is that if you are picky about hotels then just choose your hotel wherever it is in Singapore. Sorry to disagree with another post, no disrespect intended, but you don't need to decide where you need to be as the location isn't really important. Singapore is so small and taxis and MRT and buses so cheap it doesn't really matter where you are located. Everywhere is so close to everywhere and it is so hot and humid, whether it is three blocks or ten you will either get a taxi or not as you feel. There is even an extensive sub-ground walking connecting malls and walkways for walking in a heat avoiding way. Central Singapore is only 20 -30 minutes from the airport by taxi.

I am happy to help and suggest anything and if it is off topic you can find me dozing gently on The Cooler and simply need a prod to wake me up. :D

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Hi Carrie

Thanks for your question and on balance I would stay at Shangri La, unless you have a balcony at SwissHotel, it will be on the TV,s which they will likely have in the Lobby at Shangri La and it is an oasis of peace and calm there with superlative service, which will make your whole stay that much better I think.

As Jeff says it is so small, and inexpensive to get around. Hope this helps, enjoy your trip, I am at Shangri La for a week in August, then a short visit in October and ten days over Christmas but leave before NYE.:

Thank you both for the prompt reply.

Yes, I do have a balcony. I contacted the hotel to be sure and that is how I ended up booking the upgrade to the Crest Suite in order to have the fireworks-facing balcony.

We are staying three nights so the difference in price is $600CDN between the Crest Suite and the Valley Wing at the Shangri-La.

Maybe it would be an option to stay at the Shangri-La and book something at the Stamford in terms of a NYE dinner as I'm sure they have restaurants with views at the hotel...if it comes in at less than $600 then I perhaps have the best of both worlds.

I was just apprehensive about the shear number of people that will be out and about in the streets and didn't want to have to move locations shoulder to shoulder with thousands trying to do the same. Are the crowds that bad, or is booking the Shangri-La for accommodations and then booking a NYE event somewhere else a good option?

Thanks again,

Carrie

Carrie,

The crowds are terrible on NYE, and you will need to presume that you will have to walk back to your hotel, which is a lengthy trek. A taxi will be out of the question and the queues for buses and MRT will not be a great end to an evening. Many Singaporeans I know will not venture out to the NYE fireworks. Restaurants with views will book up early and charge a premium for their menus and it isn't unknown for people to believe that they have booked a window table only to find that there has been a misunderstanding on the night. Not being negative just realistic.

Carrie, one of the things I have always wanted to do was to have a suite overlooking the bay on NYE for the fireworks. To sit on that balcony with some expensive champers and nibbles is an experience that I beleive you will never forget. Personally I think that a fireowrk display is never the same on TV, although sad as I am I do watch Singapore NYE fireworks on a live stream every year. You can see some youtube films if you google.

Fireworks are something I am very childish about and I'll travel for a display but not all people are the same. I've been to Malta for a firework display competition, and gone to Cannes for some there as well.

Reputationally I think the other hotel might be slightly ahead, but you will never see a better firework display than from that balcony in Singapore in my 'umble opinion.

Whatever you do I'm sure will be right for you and I hope you enjoy Singapore. I am sorry if I seemed ambivalent about what I would do. :D;)

Jeff

Carrie,

The crowds are terrible on NYE, and you will need to presume that you will have to walk back to your hotel, which is a lengthy trek. A taxi will be out of the question and the queues for buses and MRT will not be a great end to an evening. Many Singaporeans I know will not venture out to the NYE fireworks. Restaurants with views will book up early and charge a premium for their menus and it isn't unknown for people to believe that they have booked a window table only to find that there has been a misunderstanding on the night. Not being negative just realistic.

Carrie, one of the things I have always wanted to do was to have a suite overlooking the bay on NYE for the fireworks. To sit on that balcony with some expensive champers and nibbles is an experience that I beleive you will never forget. Personally I think that a fireowrk display is never the same on TV, although sad as I am I do watch Singapore NYE fireworks on a live stream every year. You can see some youtube films if you google.

Fireworks are something I am very childish about and I'll travel for a display but not all people are the same. I've been to Malta for a firework display competition, and gone to Cannes for some there as well.

Reputationally I think the other hotel might be slightly ahead, but you will never see a better firework display than from that balcony in Singapore in my 'umble opinion.

Whatever you do I'm sure will be right for you and I hope you enjoy Singapore. I am sorry if I seemed ambivalent about what I would do. :D;)

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.

I appreciate your input. You have confirmed my fears of the NYE crowd. I anticipated that getting any kind of transportation would be impossible and a long walk in clothes suitable for a NYE gala would not be a welcomed proposition! I also worried about spending a huge sum for dinner and a view of the fireworks only to find we are in the middle of the restaurant and can't see anything.

Carrie

Thanks, Jeff.

I appreciate your input. You have confirmed my fears of the NYE crowd. I anticipated that getting any kind of transportation would be impossible and a long walk in clothes suitable for a NYE gala would not be a welcomed proposition! I also worried about spending a huge sum for dinner and a view of the fireworks only to find we are in the middle of the restaurant and can't see anything.

Carrie

Pleasure.

This may be a tip you don't approve of, but alcohol is very expensive in Singapore, and what you might consider is if you are arriving by air, you cannot bring any alcohol (or indeed tobacco) into Singapore, but they do have a duty free shop in the arrivals hall. You might want to buy your champagne there. If you can by club lounge in your hotel it would be a bargain if you like a drink or three. It should be open up til later than normal over NYE. So you could water and snack in the lounge and then exit to your suite and champagne for the fireworks. Sounds Perfect.

If you happen to extend your stay for a few days we will have an "open day" at the Intercontinental for any waifs and strays who happen to be around.

Enjoy your stay.

Jeff

Pleasure.

This may be a tip you don't approve of, but alcohol is very expensive in Singapore, and what you might consider is if you are arriving by air, you cannot bring any alcohol (or indeed tobacco) into Singapore, but they do have a duty free shop in the arrivals hall. You might want to buy your champagne there. If you can by club lounge in your hotel it would be a bargain if you like a drink or three. It should be open up til later than normal over NYE. So you could water and snack in the lounge and then exit to your suite and champagne for the fireworks. Sounds Perfect.

If you happen to extend your stay for a few days we will have an "open day" at the Intercontinental for any waifs and strays who happen to be around.

Enjoy your stay.

Jeff

Jeff, when we were smokers we had no problem bringing a carton of cigarettes into Singapore and we also purchased alcohol from Singapore Airlines inflight duty free.

Last year we stayed at the Ritz Carlton and the club floor amenities were fantastic as well as the view.

Jeff, when we were smokers we had no problem bringing a carton of cigarettes into Singapore and we also purchased alcohol from Singapore Airlines inflight duty free.

Last year we stayed at the Ritz Carlton and the club floor amenities were fantastic as well as the view.

As I said , "you might have had no problem" with your tobacco but unless you were passing through and staying airside then you were breaking the law and you would have been potentially been treated quite harshly if you hadn't declared them. Yes, correct about limited liquor, (since 2014) but it is limited to a bottle of wine, and spirits (or two wine) and a litre of beer.

There is no duty-free concession and Goods and Services Tax (GST) relief for cigarettes and tobacco products in Singapore.

All cigarettes and tobacco products, including those purchased in Singapore with the ‘SDPC’ mark, are subject to duty and GST when brought into Singapore.

Reminder

It is the responsibility of travellers to make an accurate and complete declaration of all goods exceeding their duty-free concession and GST relief in their possession, including goods carried for or on behalf of other persons.

Those who fail to declare at the Red Channel can be fined and prosecuted in court. More information on customs offences here.

- See more at: http://www.customs.gov.sg/individuals/going-through-customs/arrival/duty-free-concession-and-gst-relief#sthash.Zs6WdemQ.dpuf

If you get caught withou declaring the tobacco they throw the book at you .... a carton would be just a hefty fine of I think $10 per cigarette ie $2000 for two hundred cigarette carton, but a few cartons could lead to prison .....

http://www.singaporecriminallawyer.com/cigarette-smuggling-new-sentencing-guidelines/

....... you also cannot bring in chewing gum and they are tough on that ....... :)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Reverting back to "where to stay" in S'pore we have used the last four cruise embarkation/disembarkation here as an opportunity to visit countries that we have made calls during cruises but for longer stays.

Prior to joining Silver Shadow on February 25, we spent two nights in S'pore before taking a three hour flight to Colombo, Sri Lanka for a four night stay. Returning to S'pore the time taken from the airplane hitting the tarmac, disembarking, clearing immigration, collecting checked bags, and arriving at the Crowne Plaza reception was twenty five minutes!!

The Crowne Plaza is integrated within Terminal 3 at Changi Airport. There is a monorail service between all the current termini at the airport. This means that if one is flying out early, there is much less hassle getting to the check-in area than having to factoring in the unknown time scale of a journey by taxi from somewhere else in S'pore to the airport. This hotel therefore offers a very big convenience factor.

From the Crowne Plaza to the Singapore Cruise Centre takes twenty minutes and costs about 25 Singapore dollars. For anyone who has visited Singapore before, and who wants to use it as a base for one of the many destinations in South East Asia that are so easily accessible from here, or who has an early flight from Changi post cruise, then staying at the Crowne Plaza has much to commend it.

Whilst taxis may be cheap and reasonably plentiful, staying downtown, particularly with some of the now increasing traffic congestion, is far from the ideal solution recommended by others on this thread. As I said on my original post here, it depends purely what you want to do whilst you are in S'pore that should guide your hotel choice.

Kindest regards

Echo

Reverting back to "where to stay" in S'pore we have used the last four cruise embarkation/disembarkation here as an opportunity to visit countries that we have made calls during cruises but for longer stays.

Prior to joining Silver Shadow on February 25, we spent two nights in S'pore before taking a three hour flight to Colombo, Sri Lanka for a four night stay. Returning to S'pore the time taken from the airpl ane hitting the tarmac, disembarking, clearing immigration, collecting checked bags, and arriving at the Crowne Plaza reception was twenty five minutes!!

The Crowne Plaza is integrated within Terminal 3 at Changi Airport. There is a monorail service between all the current termini at the airport. This means that if one is flying out early, there is much less hassle getting to the check-in area than having to factoring in the unknown time scale of a journey by taxi from somewhere else in S'pore to the airport. This hotel therefore offers a very big convenience factor.

From the Crowne Plaza to the Singapore Cruise Centre takes twenty minutes and costs about 25 Singapore dollars. For anyone who has visited Singapore before, and who wants to use it as a base for one of the many destinations in South East Asia that are so easily accessible from here, or who has an early flight from Changi post cruise, then staying at the Crowne Plaza has much to commend it.

Whilst taxis may be cheap and reasonably plentiful, staying downtown, particularly with some of the now increasing traffic congestion, is far from the ideal solution recommended by others on this thread. As I said on my original post here, it depends purely what you want to do whilst you are in S'pore that should guide your hotel choice.

Kindest regards

Echo

Echo,

You say reverting back but I am unclear who you are providing suggestions to. The OP was looking for suggestion for somewhere to stay and places to eat. Another poster is staying for a few days.

The CP is a perfect airport hotel for those flying in and shortly afterwards flying out. If it is also your choice on where to base yourself for a two or three nights, fair enough. To many it would be an odd and pointless choice. From the plane to a Singapore central hotel is only around 20 minutes longer than the CP. If you prefer to eat around the hotel, the CP is your perfect choice. If you are going to eat and have a look around Singapore, then I don't see the CP as a sensible choice. Most people arriving with a suffering body clock challenge and might want to be out and about a bit after they arrive. The airport isn't great for going for a wander.

I'm not disagreeing with your preference for you in your situation it seemed a perfect choice, but I'm suggesting that many other people not wanting to stay for a couple of nights in an airport hotel and wanting instead to be central and wander and eat it seems a puzzling choice. Just an alternative opinion. Neither of us is either right or wrong.:)

Jeff

I agree. We have stayed In many hotels in Singapore. If yo are flying out early, the Crown Plaza is an excellent choice. The breakfast buffet/ noodle bar is terrific. One of my favs. I have a friend who lives in Singapore and he takes guests there for dinner occasionally! If not flying out, I prefer the marina area.

CP Changi is one of the few places around Changi that provide a decent alternative to hawker centers and Old Airport Road for decent eating. It is where you might go if you aare local and don't fancy going into town. It is unusually good for an airport hotel and has unusually high standards and in my view has been for a reason.

The GM of CP Changi reported up until a couple of weeks ago to Tash Tobias who was the GM of the Intercontinental and based there, and was director of all of the other Singapore IHG hotels as well and all the Bangkok properties and the rest of this part of Asia. She is an extraordinary lady, an Oz, trained at the Blue Mountains hospitality college from memory and if you met her she is a real force. You know at the IC when she was doing her rounds as everything was absolutely perfect. She knew this and varied the times of her rounds.:) Sadly however a few weeks ago she left IHG and returned to Oz and became a GM at Virgin. She is a terrible loss and I hope the properties maintain her ethos.

Jeff

Pleasure.

Enjoy your stay.

Jeff

Thank you for the advise, Jeff. We likely would have bought some alcohol from the duty free on the way over (we're flying in from Toronto through London and Helsinki) so good to know it could present a problem. We'll just wait until we arrive in Singapore to purchase, otherwise we do have a club room so we won't go thirsty.

Carrie

Thank you for the advise, Jeff. We likely would have bought some alcohol from the duty free on the way over (we're flying in from Toronto through London and Helsinki) so good to know it could present a problem. We'll just wait until we arrive in Singapore to purchase, otherwise we do have a club room so we won't go thirsty.

Carrie

No probs. The customs people in Singapore sometimes get sniffy about how sealed imported drinks are from airlines, but if you buy them as you arrive you just reduce the potential for a problem.

Enjoy Singapore .......

Jeff