Current state of MAHO beach March 2016 request

renata102

I wanted to take the kids over to MAHO beach to enjoy some beach time and to see the planes land

I was reading the beach was partially destroyed in December 2015.

Anyone have current pictures OR a CURRENT report ?

Hi! If you go to the Sunset Beach Bar site they have a live webcam that looks right over Maho Beach and you can see it, yesterday I clicked on it just as Air France was taking off!!! I just googled it to find the site!

Where can I find the flight schedules.

There are others, but you could check the website that Joyce Hanley Prince has for Maho with actual real-time flight schedules on the same day of the week that you will be there. Flights should be the same or very similar.

Be sure to adjust the time period for when you might be there.

gary

I wanted to take the kids over to MAHO beach to enjoy some beach time and to see the planes land

I was reading the beach was partially destroyed in December 2015.

Anyone have current pictures OR a CURRENT report ?

The beach itself is in need of some regrading/rebuilding, it has change after the last few recent strong storms. The way the beach is now goes into the water at a pretty steep angle and has a drop-off of about 2 feet once you're in the water. So about 10-15' out, you're in 4-5' feet of water and the waves create a pretty good back & fourth undertow. It can be pretty tough for a kid under the age of 5 or 6, or someone who doesn't swim well. That being said, I haven't heard about anyone drowning there lately.

The beach itself is in need of some regrading/rebuilding, it has change after the last few recent strong storms. The way the beach is now goes into the water at a pretty steep angle and has a drop-off of about 2 feet once you're in the water. So about 10-15' out, you're in 4-5' feet of water and the waves create a pretty good back & fourth undertow. It can be pretty tough for a kid under the age of 5 or 6, or someone who doesn't swim well. That being said, I haven't heard about anyone drowning there lately.

Yeah-- I was gonna say not to expect a good beach day.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ESKWcBQC1Do/maxresdefault.jpg

planes taking off--create this:

http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/512508ebecad04985c000002-1200/maho-beach-st-maarten.jpg

as long as the expectation is there you will be good.

In reality, I think that if you are looking for a beach in great shape for swimming or lounging, it wouldn't have been this one no matter what the conditions. This beach is really focused on visitors wanting to watch the planes and take their selfies. That's not saying that some don't swim here, but I would think the island offers better options for swimming and sunning.

I would suggest going to Mullet Bay for the morning, some good snorkelling and plenty of swimming loads of kids were there and easy swimming. You can hire snorkels, floats etc at the beach, then pack up and walk around the road to Maho beach takes about 10 mins and there is a path next to the road it's an easy walk. Find a spot and watch the planes try standing either end to watch the planes go over or in the middle to have them fly over you. It was rammed when we went and not really anyone swimming much and the sun beds right next to each other all the way along. Have fun and enjoy what ever you do.

I would suggest going to Mullet Bay for the morning, some good snorkelling and plenty of swimming loads of kids were there and easy swimming. You can hire snorkels, floats etc at the beach, then pack up and walk around the road to Maho beach takes about 10 mins and there is a path next to the road it's an easy walk. Find a spot and watch the planes try standing either end to watch the planes go over or in the middle to have them fly over you. It was rammed when we went and not really anyone swimming much and the sun beds right next to each other all the way along. Have fun and enjoy what ever you do.

That's exactly what I will be doing. I already checked it flights too

We spent Easter Monday with the locals at mullet bay for a few hours.

We then walked over to MAHO beach from 11 am to 3:30

We packed our own lunch

The kids and I had AN AMAZING TIME. Checking out the plane landings was the best idea (I sent online in PR and ST thomas - where I have service with sprint ).

The beach was fine. We spent the whole day in water. The landings were awesome. We sat right under the flight path coming in the entire cruise

Thanks to all for your input.

I never knew that you could rent snorkel equipment at Mullet ( never found the snorkeling very good there BTW) or float mats. Where did you rent these from at Mullet? Thanks :)

I never knew that you could rent snorkel equipment at Mullet ( never found the snorkeling very good there BTW) or float mats. Where did you rent these from at Mullet? Thanks :)

Although I didn't post this I too this advise and went to mullet beach in the morning. It was Easter Monday and early in day. More locals then tourists as they were having their festivities. We did see some small fish but the mats and gear weren't out yet. I am. It sure where it could be rented

Although I didn't post this I too this advise and went to mullet beach in the morning. It was Easter Monday and early in day. More locals then tourists as they were having their festivities. We did see some small fish but the mats and gear weren't out yet. I am. It sure where it could be rented

It's just that I have been there dozens of times and don't recall seeing mat or snorkel rentals. I often stay at the far end of the beach but walk the beach from end to end.