Wheelchair Assistance at Tampa port

I just read a disturbing comment on Ship Mate that there was a dispute going on about this service. Luckily, I can walk, but only for short distances and definitely not up steep ramps. My TA requested this when he made the reservation, but I am afraid this isn't going to help. Also, I wrote Special Services over a month ago about assistance on the pier at Cozumel, but they never responded then. So, don't know if another email about this will get any attention either. I, honestly, don't know what to do - I refuse to cancel my cruise!!! Any on else have this problem?

I just read a disturbing comment on Ship Mate that there was a dispute going on about this service. Luckily, I can walk, but only for short distances and definitely not up steep ramps. My TA requested this when he made the reservation, but I am afraid this isn't going to help. Also, I wrote Special Services over a month ago about assistance on the pier at Cozumel, but they never responded then. So, don't know if another email about this will get any attention either. I, honestly, don't know what to do - I refuse to cancel my cruise!!! Any on else have this problem?

We just returned from our cruise on Saturday. Sailed on Vision of the Seas out of Tampa and we embarked at pier 2. Unlike our last trip, we had NO HELP with my wheelchair from anyone at the actual port. Not until after we got through check in. My husband had to push me every step of the way.

Once we got to actually boarding the ship - the Royal Caribbean staff stepped right up and helped me up the ramps - hubby just followed along behind. They got me safely aboard in no time.

We also had help getting off and on the ship at every port. Cozumel was an easy ride off of the ship - and the RCI staff pushed the wheelchair up and down all ramps.

Upon return, anyone needing wheelchair assistance waits in the main dining room , where the RCI staff got my wheelchair and helped me get off of the ship and took me to the baggage claim area, where hubby was on his own again.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

Edited by Dinkachu

We just returned from our cruise on Saturday. Sailed on Vision of the Seas out of Tampa and we embarked at pier 2. Unlike our last trip, we had NO HELP with my wheelchair from anyone at the actual port. Not until after we got through check in. My husband had to push me every step of the way.

Once we got to actually boarding the ship - the Royal Caribbean staff stepped right up and helped me up the ramps - hubby just followed along behind. They got me safely aboard in no time.

We also had help getting off and on the ship at every port. Cozumel was an easy ride off of the ship - and the RCI staff pushed the wheelchair up and down all ramps.

Upon return, anyone needing wheelchair assistance waits in the main dining room , where the RCI staff got my wheelchair and helped me get off of the ship and took me to the baggage claim area, where hubby was on his own again.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

Thanks for your reply. My only problem now is that I don't have a wheelchair. I only use them at airports and ship ports as I can't walk long distances or sharpe inclines. Did the RC people seem to have available wheelchairs for people like me as I can walk through checkin (I think 😟). If not, I am literally "up a creek without a paddle"! Wish me luck, Anne

I too just got off Vision Saturday. I also have trouble walking any distance. At the check-in window, the agent asked if I needed assistance. I declined. That was the wrong choice as I required 2 stops along the route due to pain. The tender to Belize was difficult for me to board. There were no steps, just a box placed down. The tender back to the ship was larger and I had no trouble. At debarkation I was not offered any assistance. I do hope you hear back from Special Services. By the way, Vision is a terrific ship. We had a wonderful time. enjoy your cruise.

I too just got off Vision Saturday. I also have trouble walking any distance. At the check-in window, the agent asked if I needed assistance. I declined. That was the wrong choice as I required 2 stops along the route due to pain. The tender to Belize was difficult for me to board. There were no steps, just a box placed down. The tender back to the ship was larger and I had no trouble. At debarkation I was not offered any assistance. I do hope you hear back from Special Services. By the way, Vision is a terrific ship. We had a wonderful time. enjoy your cruise.

I've emailed my TA about the situation and am waiting to here back from him. I haven't written Special Services again yet as they never responded to my original request. However once I hear what he's been able to find out I may try them again. I'm gonna get on that ship if I have to crawl!!!!!!

I've heard Vision is a great ship, I actually had a cruise planned on it, but my friend dropped out. I'm hoping I can schedule another trip on her nexr year.

Thanks for replying, Anne

I saw the review you referenced and called the Access department at Royal Caribbean. They have assured me that everything has been worked out with the port of Tampa and that it was an issue that has been resolved.

Above is a reply from my TA that I wanted to pass along.

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! I won't have to crawl up the ramp now!! But I would if I had too as I'm going on this cruise "come hell or high water".

MY mom and I are departing from Tampa next month and there is no way she could make it in the lines waiting or go up any incline without a chair. I rented a motorized one for the cruise but am wondering if we should go ahead and bring her push one? Did Royal Carribean have something available on the for use at the terminal or would it be best to bring hers? Any help would be great!

Cruised on Vision last November. I use a walker and at check in they brought a wheelchair and pushed me to my room. I also rented a scooter for the week. At the end of the cruise you have to wait for help. They have a sign up sheet with times for help departing at customer service. You meet in a lounge and they take you off. However. there is no help for early departure and i had to walk off........hope this helps.........................RADICAL

RCCL only provides wheelchair assistance on embarkation and disembarkation days. If you require wheelchair during the cruise ( such as assistance while on the ship , going up/down the gangway when docked in port or even from the ship to main port area) you are required to bring your own wheelchair or rent one from either one of RCCL's approved vendors. This is all clearly stated on RCCL's website. Contacting the Special Needs Dept for RCCL to provide a wheelchair for you when docked in port isn't going to change its policy. The ship has only a limited number of wheelchair on board and use is mainly for ship infirmary patients.