Taxi or other transportation question at Coxen Hole

jbobst

We've been to Roatan once before in December. We hitched a ride with some fellow cruisers who had hired a local driver for an all day tour. We just wanted to get a ride to West bay beach (Infinity bay Resort). We docked in Mahogany bay last time.

This May, we'll be going back to Roatan, and docking in Coxen Hole. There are going to be 5 of us, and we just want transportation to and from Infinity Bay Resort again, no tour, just transport. In the Mahogany Bay port, there appeared to be cabs right inside the port, then a bunch of other transport companies outside the gates. I assume certain "approved" cabs companies were allowed to be inside the gates where as the other private companies were not allowed and had to be outside the main gates. Is this the same setup in Coxen Hole? And, are the taxi's located inside the gates of the port more expensive than the ones outside? What is the best way to get a cab to the resort (and back) without getting paying too much?

Edited by jbobst

Same set up.

Outside the port you can negotiate a bit with the driver. Whether it saves you any significant $ or not depends on what you ask the driver to do. Your biggest concern should be getting back to Coxen Hole. You'll need to "trust" your driver to come back and pick you up when you're ready to return. Most taxis don't hover around resorts waiting for fares like in other ports. So be sure you agree with the driver, inside or outside on round trip fare and time to come pick you up based on your watch and your ship's time. From what I understand, taxis inside the port have a little better reputation for returning when or close to when you agree. But that's not necessarily always true.

lol "approved cab companies" we wish! I'm just joking, the cab set up here is a little different, there are just taxis, not a bunch of different companies. They are all white with a yellow square on the side featuring their taxi number. Not all are registered/legit, unfortunately.

I am not sure how the organize it at the port in Coxen Hole, who the let in, I thought I had heard that it was only those with a specific client to pick up were allowed in, as opposed to those just looking for fares. The earlier poster is correct- you would need to make sure they were going to pick you up. You would want their cab number and phone number so someone could call for you.

The issue is that West Bay is far from where ANY cab would normally be. No cabs hang out in West Bay, it's not like other places where you can expect to just go out and hail a cab. In west bay the only cab you will hail is one that randomly happens to be passing having dropped someone off in the area. So, for any cab, coming to West Bay is considered a trip that's way it's a bit more expensive because, for example for a cab to take you to West Bay they need to drive you from Coxen Hole, drop you off and drive all the way back to Coxen Hole and then to pick you up they have to drive to get you and then drive you back, so what's a roundtrip to you is actually two round trips to them because their business is in Coxen Hole (or at least West End). So, you want to make sure you are sure the person is going to pick you back up again and set the time a bit conservative so in case they don't show you can make other arrangements. In a pinch, someone probably has a cab's number and can call someone but you don't want to be late to the ship so make round trip plans for sure.

Thanks for the information. I think we've decided to try Little French Key this time instead of West Bay again. They will take care of the transportation, so I think we'll be ok this time around.

Thanks for the information. I think we've decided to try Little French Key this time instead of West Bay again. They will take care of the transportation, so I think we'll be ok this time around.

Little French Key is a good choice! You'll have a great time! :)