Just booked! Is it 2017 yet?

iheartmarshall

Just took the plunge and booked a 4J on the Vista for May 2017. It's her 6-day Western cruise with ports in Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Ochos Rios will be a new port for us and we have been wanting to revisit Cozumel so this is perfect. Originally we were booked the same week on the Pride and I even posted a thread regarding the pros and cons of her and the Vista. This choice is more expensive once all costs are considered... but ya know, cruise logic. :rolleyes:

Can't wait until 2017!

Edited by iheartmarshall

Just took the plunge and booked a 4J on the Vista for May 2017. It's her 6-day Western cruise with ports in Ochos Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Ochos Rios will be a new port for us and we have been wanting to revisit Cozumel so this is perfect. Originally we were booked the same week on the Pride and I even posted a thread regarding the pros and cons of her and the Vista. This choice is more expensive once all costs are considered... but ya know, cruise logic. :rolleyes:

Can't wait until 2017!

Well, well, well! I remember your post considering either the Pride or the Vista, and if I remember correctly, I practically begged you to choose the Vista (Just looking out for a fellow West Virginian:))

Personally I think you made a great choice. You may get negative comments about Jamaica, but its a beautiful country, and a lot of stuff to choose from. Yes, it's super touristy, but I would suggest the Dunn River Falls. I am so glad DH and I climbed up them before his knees gave out. River Tubing on the White River is also loads of fun. Cozumel is a great port as well. With lots of different activities to choose from you are sure to find something to float your boat.

As far as the Vista is concerned, of course none of us have actually sailed on her yet, but with all the things on board what is not to love. AND in May 2017 she will still be considered a new ship!

Well, well, well! I remember your post considering either the Pride or the Vista, and if I remember correctly, I practically begged you to choose the Vista (Just looking out for a fellow West Virginian:))

Personally I think you made a great choice. You may get negative comments about Jamaica, but its a beautiful country, and a lot of stuff to choose from. Yes, it's super touristy, but I would suggest the Dunn River Falls. I am so glad DH and I climbed up them before his knees gave out. River Tubing on the White River is also loads of fun. Cozumel is a great port as well. With lots of different activities to choose from you are sure to find something to float your boat.

As far as the Vista is concerned, of course none of us have actually sailed on her yet, but with all the things on board what is not to love. AND in May 2017 she will still be considered a new ship!

Oh that post... I am so indecisive! I had pro/con lists, financial comparisons.... it was bad, lol. I really did take into account each response and even though we initially booked the Pride, it didn't feel "right," you know? DH and I talked this past weekend and decided if we were going to spend the money, to just go for it and choose the Vista. So, we did. And we will either make the long drive to Miami or fly out of Pittsburgh, as it's way cheaper than Charleston. And you know what? I am way more excited about the Vista!

We've been looking at excursions at each port trying to figure out what we want to do. Although nothing is online for our specific cruise yet, there's several that appeal to us in Ochos Rios and Cozumel so we will be just fine (that River Tubing is on my list!). We've already talked about staying on the ship in Grand Cayman too and giving ourselves an extra day to experience what she has to offer. We're definitely early on the planning but it gives us something to look forward to.

I also posted on your other thread encouraging you to check out Southwest for cheap flights from BWI. We are doing this same itinerary in November of this year. I plan on writing a review so you can get ideas on excursions and what's happening on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The last time we were in Grand Cayman we stayed on board as well. The first time we had gone to the turtle farm, and the second time we did the Stingray City and Dolphin Swim. I'm not overly fond of tender ports, and with a ship as large as the Vista can you imagine the lines of people waiting for a tender boat to take them back? I think staying on board and having the ship nearly to yourself is a great idea.

I am so excited about the Vista. I booked our cabin over a year ago, and the excitement still hasn't worn off! I only hope she lives up to the hype. I'm prepared for the first few reviews to be less than promising (When the NCL Escape launched in late 2015 the reviews were overwhelmingly negative, but they have since improved). I'm just ready for the first photos of the finished product to start appearing. One nice thing about the Carnival board; people love to show off their photos.

I also posted on your other thread encouraging you to check out Southwest for cheap flights from BWI. We are doing this same itinerary in November of this year. I plan on writing a review so you can get ideas on excursions and what's happening on the ship.

This is when Cruise Critic is at its best; helping each other, giving practical suggestions and information.

Can't wait to read your review. I have to wait until December 2016 for our cruise. :(

Thank you for the reminder! I've been pricing flights for the same weekend this year, just to have a ballpark figure of what to budget for. I know that doesn't mean the price will be the same next year, but still... I need to know what I'm dealing with lol. Any time we've flown south out of Charleston, it's been $1,000 - $1,100 RT for "good" flights (i.e., times that work with our schedule). I've seen that Pittsburgh is fairly consistent year-round at $500 RT and am looking into Southwest and BWI now. Even if we end up getting a hotel one night, it'll still be cheaper than Charleston.... hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome choice. We have sailed the Pride once and I have booked the Vista for 2017. With regards to flights, does your cruise leave from Miami? If so, remember SWA flies into FLL. Just remember to budget for transport for FLL to POM. Also Southwest Credit Cards do 50K points offer for signing up. I flew a family of four all on those points to FLL last year. That saved me $1200. So the Southwest card was totally worth the annual fee. Husband just signed up at the a/p for his card and we will have enough points to fly all four for free for our Vista cruise next year. Another $1200 saved!

Good Luck and enjoy the new ship.

There truly is no comparison to the Pride and the newest cruise ships IMO.

Have fun!