Credit Card Holds

DenaInWyo

Have been driving myself nuts trying to decide what to do here, so of course I'll ask you all for help.

I've been reading about the credit hold Carnival will put on your card if you use it for your sail and sign. I am worried that this will bump my card up very close to the limit if it goes the way some say it does, which is a $200 deposit and then holds for any charges, then the actual total at the end. This card is already groaning from the expenses I've put on it booking this trip, and I plan to use it to pay for our room after the cruise and don't want it maxed :eek:

So here is my idea: I'd like to just use cash for my sail and sign, but I don't want to run into a 50 person deep line to put the cash on my account right away when we board. It's been so long since I cruised last, I don't remember how that went last time..I do know I used cash then too.

What if I put a small amount in Carnival cash cards as an OBC for myself, so that I would at least be able to buy a few drinks when we get on and then head back to GS the next day when hopefully the line was a little calmer? Any good ideas about this?

Also, this is an actual credit card, not a debit card..not sure if that even makes a difference?

I've searched my eyeballs out on the topic and can't seem to find anything newer than about 2012 on the subject.

Oh neat! I didn't realize they had those..obviously new since I last went.

Yeah, rather than worry and wonder how the hold works on my CC I am just going to go cash. I think I'll buy myself $200 in OBC and then use those kiosks from there if/when I have to add to it.

Next question: If I do that, will I still need to go to the desk to establish a deposit and account, or will the $200 pre paid on board credit already have that taken care of?

Ugh..thanks for all the help in advance. This is what I get for taking so long to cruise again!

I was able to add cash at check in and never even had to go to guest services.

Thank you! I guess I had forgotten that was part of check in and not something you did after you boarded.

Whew. I can't wait to be on the ship, DoD in hand, and no longer hopping from one topic of worry to the next.

You mean cruise cash or gift cards? If you buy cruise cash, it should already be tied to your account and you won't have to do anything. If you add gift cards at check in, they will also be on your account immediately. Just select "Cash account" for your online check in either way.

Edited by firemanbobswife

You mean cruise cash or gift cards? If you buy cruise cash, it should already be tied to your account and you won't have to do anything. If you add gift cards at check in, they will also be on your account immediately. Just select "Cash account" for your online check in either way.

Is cruise cash "use it or lose it"? If so, you'd have to keep track of it so if any leftover you could get the leftover from a slot machine, right?

Have been driving myself nuts trying to decide what to do here, so of course I'll ask you all for help.

I've been reading about the credit hold Carnival will put on your card if you use it for your sail and sign. I am worried that this will bump my card up very close to the limit if it goes the way some say it does, which is a $200 deposit and then holds for any charges, then the actual total at the end. This card is already groaning from the expenses I've put on it booking this trip, and I plan to use it to pay for our room after the cruise and don't want it maxed :eek:

So here is my idea: I'd like to just use cash for my sail and sign, but I don't want to run into a 50 person deep line to put the cash on my account right away when we board. It's been so long since I cruised last, I don't remember how that went last time..I do know I used cash then too.

What if I put a small amount in Carnival cash cards as an OBC for myself, so that I would at least be able to buy a few drinks when we get on and then head back to GS the next day when hopefully the line was a little calmer? Any good ideas about this?

Also, this is an actual credit card, not a debit card..not sure if that even makes a difference?

I've searched my eyeballs out on the topic and can't seem to find anything newer than about 2012 on the subject.

That is what I intend to do. I will add to my OBC account buy purchasing the carnival cash online.

Keep an eye on it during the cruise. I had over 600 dollars worth of holds...for 21.99 worth of purchases. I about freaked out, but thankfully they did all clear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This happened to me one cruise to the tune of $1,100 for only $300 worth of charges. The charges were being multiplied daily and the day before holds was taking days to drop off. That prompted me to never use a CC on a cruise again. Cash at port during check-in is all we do.