Paul Gauguin

Melody6

We are sailing on the Paul Gauguin in November. Has anyone rented a car independently and had it waiting for you in port in Bora Bora or Moorea? How difficult was it? Any information would be appreciated. Also what shore excrusions were especially good in the various ports.

We didn't rent any cars, but loved the Lagoonarium in Bora Bora and the Waterwalk in Bora Bora. The snorkeling trip in Moorea was a boat ride around half the island, with very good snorkeling. Go to the free picnic in Taha'a

David

We reserved a rental car for Moorea, it was waiting for us upon arrival. Though after arriving we switched to the local rental co. They gave us a better deal. Included the gasoline(we didn't have to fill up the tank at end of day). I loved the shark and ray feeding snorkeling. It was wonderful(on both Bora Bora and Moorea.

We too booked a car on Moorea, on the ship. When we got to the dock, our car had not arrived, but the local agents put their heads together and got us a car through another agency, Albert's. It was fine, although the car we got was an old beater. Remember, if you want an automatic, to specify that, and make sure you get A/C as well.

We didn't rent any cars, but loved the Lagoonarium in Bora Bora and the Waterwalk in Bora Bora.

David

That's a new one to me. I don't recall that shore excursion when we went..........David........could you describe the Waterwalk in Bora Bora?........it sounds so interesting.

Thanks, Pat

We went on a little boat to a spot in the lagoon with lots of coral and fish. We each had a helmut placed on our heads, with a hose connecting it to the boat, and climbed down the ladder to the bottom of the lagoon - about 12 feet, where we spent half an hour walking around with a loaf of bread attracting schools of fish. The helmuts were a little claustrophobic - my wife chose not to go - but comfortable once your ears popped, and the fish were beautiful. We also got to snorkel on the surface while the other half of the group was underwater, so I did get pictures. My camera was only waterproof to one meter, so I didn't get any while down below.

• 2 weeks later...

Melody, you can reserve a car on the gauguin (avis) or just walk down on the dock in Moorea as there will be several rental car agents present, negotiate too, because competition is fierce in Moorea. If you want to do the island tour it will take you only 60 km's (1 hr without stopping):)

ps: make sure you wear your seatbelt and do not use a cell phone in the car as the local gendarmes are pretty tough nowadays

Melody,

I can't speak to the rental car question...although aI noticed they were available when you got to dock in both Bora Bora and Moorea.

As for excursions, as with most anything, it depends on what you like.

For us, the Bora Bora Waverunners was by far the best above-the-surface excursion that we did. I was concerned about the excursion when I read the brochure and the instructions "must follow guide in single line..blah, blah, blah."

This was a BLAST!!! Not only did you circumnavigate the entire island of Bora Bora and get to soak in the beauty of what is French Polynesia (like your not doing that the entire cruise, right??) but if you have any desire to bring FUN into your excursion, this is it. The guides travel in front of you at a fast enough speed that you can be running your waverunner at full throttle for significant parts of the trip. At the same time, if you want to take it a bit easier, you move to the rear of the "formation" and take your time. The guide will make sure that the group doesn't get so too far in front and will circle back for you. Don't feel rushed by this at all, this just means more time for hte speed demons to run at full throttle.

You will make two stops on the way...the second stop you are treated to a cocconut-opening demonstration and treated to fresh cocconut and pineapple.

In other experiences, an excursion like this would be "get you in, get you out". This certainly wasn't the attitude that we encountered.

Now, the second excursion I'd recommend would be the Bora Bora 4x4. The ride is not that bad...bumpy at times. But as long as you don't have a bad back, I don't think anyone would have an issue with it. The tour guides are fantastic. Very humourous and a wealth of information about the history of the island. You will get to see the island and lagoon overwatches from some vantage points that you simply wouldn't from a rental car. Plus, another opportunity to eat some fresh polynesia fruit at one fo the stops. If you talk to your driver, they will allow you to "escape" at Bloody Mary's. Their contract with RSSC doesn't allow them to officially stop here. But, they will allow you to get off of the car if you feel "car sick" or absolutly "use the facilities"

What makes Bloody Mary's a stop for lunch worth doing is only because it is Bloody Mary's. Lunch is fine and worth the price (really not that bad). I would not recommend it for dinner. However, everyone that we've talked to since coming home who know's anything about Bora Bora has asked us if we went to Bloody Mary's. When in Rome...

Now, if you want an EXCURSION...go SCUBA. The ship has a Discover SCUBA program that'll teach you the basic fundamentals and take you on a couple of dives if you don't want to go through the full certification before you go. Don't remember who said it, but it rings true: "Going to the sea and spending all your time on the surface is like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the circus tent.

OK...once again...a novella entry.

Enjoy your time on the PG.

v/r

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Melody..to answer your original question we just rented a car this past Thursday and Friday on Moorea pierside in Cooks Bay from Alberts. The cost for 4 hours was $59 for a Kia stick shift w/AC and unlimited mileage. We wanted to visit the Intercontinental Beachcomer (about a 25minute drive) and take their water taxi to a nearby motu. The cost of a regular taxi would have been about $30 each way, so renting a car made dollars and cents to us.

Archived