Purchasing OBC?

cc_rider

We don't drink much, don't plan to use the spa, will be doing our own excursions. Already have the SDP, might pick up premium coffee, might order room service and might gamble a (very) little bit. I expect that the amount I deposit in the on board account will cover all or most expenses.

Is there any advantage to purchasing on board credit to apply to the account? Or is it better to just leave the on board expense to the credit card?

If you don't have plans to use OBC for a lot of charges onboard, there is no advantage to purchasing OBC prior to your cruise. It really is a convenience thing for a lot of people....no need to carry a lot of cash with you and no need to worry about a final credit card charge.

Other than that, your credit card will take care of all your onboard charges. Pay it in cash on last day of your cruise or wait til you get home!

• 3 weeks later...

I know you can purchase on board credit for just one person in the cabin. Will I be able to use a credit card other than the on my friend used to book the cruise. I do not want his card to be charged for my on board credit.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Candi

I know you can purchase on board credit for just one person in the cabin. Will I be able to use a credit card other than the on my friend used to book the cruise. I do not want his card to be charged for my on board credit.

Yes, onboard accounts are set up during the check-in process in the terminal at port, cruise payment method has nothing to do with it (your friend needs to present their card too to set up their account).

You can set up individual accounts for each passenger, no problem.

Also, if one has a credit card and does not plan to spend much, it's much easier to just use the credit card instead of pre-purchasing OBC (it takes at least to second day for the prepurchased OBC to register to the account).

Edited by Demonyte

Yes, onboard accounts are set up during the check-in process in the terminal at port, cruise payment method has nothing to do with it (your friend needs to present their card too to set up their account).

You can set up individual accounts for each passenger, no problem.

Also, if one has a credit card and does not plan to spend much, it's much easier to just use the credit card instead of pre-purchasing OBC (it takes at least to second day for the prepurchased OBC to register to the account).

Thanks for the quick response. I wanted to purchase the OBC because it won't let me pre pay just my service charge. When I go to pre pay service charge it will only let me pay both not for one individual. My husband is paying for my OBC. That's why I needed to know if you can pay with a credit card other than the one used to pay for the cruise.

Thank you

Candi

Is there any advantage to purchasing on board credit to apply to the account? Or is it better to just leave the on board expense to the credit card?

As others have said, there's no advantage to purchasing OBC, but whether it's "better" is up to you.

I purchased some OBC prior to my cruise last month as I preferred to have a lower final bill, so it was better for me. I knew I was going to purchase a few drinks and a couple of future cruise credits, so I prepurchased a little OBC. Unlike the PP who said it takes at least until the second day for the OBC to register, mine was on my account on the first day of the cruise. What makes sense to one cruiser may not make sense to another--some people would never consider purchasing OBC or prepaying their DSC, and others do it every time. It's just a matter of personal preference.

As others have said, there's no advantage to purchasing OBC, but whether it's "better" is up to you.

I purchased some OBC prior to my cruise last month as I preferred to have a lower final bill, so it was better for me. I knew I was going to purchase a few drinks and a couple of future cruise credits, so I prepurchased a little OBC. Unlike the PP who said it takes at least until the second day for the OBC to register, mine was on my account on the first day of the cruise. What makes sense to one cruiser may not make sense to another--some people would never consider purchasing OBC or prepaying their DSC, and others do it every time. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. My husband is buying me the credits on his card so this works for me. If it doesn't kick in until the second day I have no problem with that as I have the beverage plan already in place only the service charge will be taken out. I can put a card on until the obc posts just wanted some information. Thank you all for you help.

Candi

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. My husband is buying me the credits on his card so this works for me. If it doesn't kick in until the second day I have no problem with that as I have the beverage plan already in place only the service charge will be taken out. I can put a card on until the obc posts just wanted some information. Thank you all for you help.

Candi

You're very welcome.

Sounds like a good plan. Any charges will come out of your OBC first and if you have a balance after that it'll be charged to your credit card. Have a wonderful cruise!

We don't drink much, don't plan to use the spa, will be doing our own excursions. Already have the SDP, might pick up premium coffee, might order room service and might gamble a (very) little bit. I expect that the amount I deposit in the on board account will cover all or most expenses.

"Better" is a highly subjective term and that is a question that only you can answer for yourself. Some people prefer to not buy any OBC under the guise of not giving away the interest on the money even though savings interest in less than 1% now. Other want to minimize their final bill amount as much as possible. Decide which is the better option for you and go with it.