Question about use of multi port USB charger

bartzcrew

On our last (and first) Australian cruise they asking if we had power boards in our luggage. They didn't distinguish as to the type, and this was at several points prior to embarkation. Once we got on I asked our steward if we could have one and he had one to us very quickly. I don't get why they were confiscating every type of power board. Makes me twitchy about bringing even a non surge protected one on board.

Some lines have decided that rather than having security try to decide whether a power strip is surge protected or not, they will just not allow any, and will provide one that they know isn't surge protected, and that gets inspected regularly.

chengkp75,

I was wondering if you could take a look at this. I am thinking about buying it both for at home and to take on board but I'm not sure. It says "current protection" and I don't know if that's the same as "surge protection". Thank you so much for all your knowledge and help regarding this subject!

http://www.amazon.com/Oittm-Desktop-Charging-Intelligent-Technology/dp/B019SO9EHI

chengkp75,

I was wondering if you could take a look at this. I am thinking about buying it both for at home and to take on board but I'm not sure. It says "current protection" and I don't know if that's the same as "surge protection". Thank you so much for all your knowledge and help regarding this subject!

http://www.amazon.com/Oittm-Desktop-Charging-Intelligent-Technology/dp/B019SO9EHI

Since this has a two prong plug, it doesn't have surge protection, since that requires a connection to ground. Current protection is essentially a circuit breaker, while surge protection is about voltage, so not the same.

Since this has a two prong plug, it doesn't have surge protection, since that requires a connection to ground. Current protection is essentially a circuit breaker, while surge protection is about voltage, so not the same.

If you are trying to decide on a device for a ship that allows for ac and/or usb charging, the above statement is likely the most concise and useful one you will find. If you already have a device, obviously questions need to be asked.

Before I paid attention to those with knowledge of shipboard electronics, I bought this popular, but prohibited item per the advice of those with little or no knowledge of shipboard electronics.

It seemed to have it all. It was small, rotated to accommodate any plug orientation, and it had sufficient ac and usb outlets. It is also unsafe for shipboard electronics because it has a surge protector.

After much reading (especially posts by the above quoted), I decided of several priorities. These are mine. I am not saying they are the best.

1) It must be legal, safe, and simple enough in design to pass any scrutiny by people just trying to do their job.

2) It must fit into a non-polarized 3 prone outlet, be as small as possible, and allow for any plug orientation.

3) It must have sufficient ac and usb outlets.

To meet all those tests, I decided it would be best to purchase 2 items. The 1st item would provide ac outlets. The 2nd item would provide usb outlets. Doing this would allow for clarity that the usb portion did not even hint at a possible surge protection. It is difficult to find an all in one unit that does not have muddy language that might concern an inspector. Purchasing a usb charging device that only has 2 prongs removes that possible inspection concerns. Therefore, I ended up with the 2 following items.

prod_4747730623?src=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.edealszone.com%2FA%2F31ORgxLSuFL.jpg&d=c310df8bd00def044f6e45f27a88ef54b1c53306&hei=333&wid=333&op_sharpen=1

s0376370_sc7?$splssku$

For me, when I carry an item that is going to be scrutinized, I try to make the inspectors job as simple as possible. It is not enough to know it is safe or reasonable. It is less important what my opinion is than those that have the authority to take my item away.

Just my 2 cents.

If you are trying to decide on a device for a ship that allows for ac and/or usb charging, the above statement is likely the most concise and useful one you will find

I was thinking that same thing when he responded to me. If you want a quick, surefire way (no pun intended) to make sure your multi outlet device is safe, go with 2 prongs.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I was thinking that same thing when he responded to me. If you want a quick, surefire way (no pun intended) to make sure your multi outlet device is safe, go with 2 prongs.

That's not exactly what I said. I said that since it is a two prong plug, it cannot have a surge protector. Having said that, anything that uses line voltage (100-240vac) should have a ground pin on the plug, especially in marine applications where the "neutral" is not the same as the ground. A power converter, like a USB hub, that outputs 5 volts is acceptable without a ground pin, since the output voltage is not dangerous. So, a multi-outlet extender (110v and above) should have a ground pin, while low voltage output devices like USB hubs can get by without. This is why the ubiquitous white "wall wart" supplied with any phone or tablet is only a two prong plug.

That's not exactly what I said. I said that since it is a two prong plug, it cannot have a surge protector. Having said that, anything that uses line voltage (100-240vac) should have a ground pin on the plug, especially in marine applications where the "neutral" is not the same as the ground. A power converter, like a USB hub, that outputs 5 volts is acceptable without a ground pin, since the output voltage is not dangerous. So, a multi-outlet extender (110v and above) should have a ground pin, while low voltage output devices like USB hubs can get by without. This is why the ubiquitous white "wall wart" supplied with any phone or tablet is only a two prong plug.

It appears your job will be on going. I did not word my response well either. I should have limited my comments to the usb portion. In any case, I believe my combination satisfies my needs while minimizing reasonable objections, limits, and concerns of the cruise lines... I hope. :D

OK I think I get it. USB hubs with 2 prongs are good to go. Multi regular plug outlets (including those that also have USB ports) should have 3 prongs. You just have to make sure that it's not surge protected.

Just when I think I have it figured out I get more confused. [emoji52]

OK I think I get it. USB hubs with 2 prongs are good to go. Multi regular plug outlets (including those that also have USB ports) should have 3 prongs. You just have to make sure that it's not surge protected.

Just when I think I have it figured out I get more confused. [emoji52]

What you are describing is why I decided to go with separate items. It makes things simple. It removes questions. I do not believe a resettable thermal fuse presents the danger cruise lines are trying to avoid. However, the language that comes with them can make some people nervous. Some manufacturers even describe devices that have a resettable fuse only as having surge protection. They are not surge protectors. They do not regulate currents. They trip if the device gets too hot. Given that manufacturers can't get it right, it is reasonable to assume cruise lines might have concerns. I did not want anything that anyone could be concerned with, regardless of the merit of that concern. I would rather be sure to be able to use my device, than be right and have it taken anyways.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

here is what we use. I really like that fact that the plug rotates.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-SurgePlus-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

baf

We have used the Belkin Mini on 3 cruise lines without any problem. Just make sure you purchase the 10 watt adapter and not the 5 watt..

What you are describing is why I decided to go with separate items. It makes things simple. It removes questions. I do not believe a resettable thermal fuse presents the danger cruise lines are trying to avoid. However, the language that comes with them can make some people nervous. Some manufacturers even describe devices that have a resettable fuse only as having surge protection. They are not surge protectors. They do not regulate currents. They trip if the device gets too hot. Given that manufacturers can't get it right, it is reasonable to assume cruise lines might have concerns. I did not want anything that anyone could be concerned with, regardless of the merit of that concern. I would rather be sure to be able to use my device, than be right and have it taken anyways.

I agree. I have never brought any type of multi plug device as usually my cell phone stays locked in the safe. But this last time I got the new internet plan so had to keep charging it. Being I was the only one in the room, it was no big deal. I would alternate that and my camera when it needed some juice.

I just bought an Apple Watch and will need to have more than one outlet for that and my phone. The way the watch charges is a little different and I want to get a cradle to place it on so its not just lying on top of a table on it's side. When I saw the one I posted a link to I thought it might be the perfect solution. Not that I have to worry about it as I don't even have a cruise booked, but it's never too early to start preparing! [emoji846]

We have used the Belkin Mini on 3 cruise lines without any problem. Just make sure you purchase the 10 watt adapter and not the 5 watt..

Ugh. Not again. Is reading comprehension truly dead nowadays? Surge protection = dangerous and not allowed. Period. End of story.

Not having any problems does not equal safe or allowed. This is exactly the type of device that cruise lines are trying to eliminate. Please read through previous posts. If you are of the mind (and I am not assuming that you are) that not getting caught is good enough, then (user agreement prohibits me from finishing this sentence).

I don't know why everyone still chooses to ignore ICES (international cruise electrical standards). I wish Carnival would follow the ICES recommendations that those individuals found violating those international rules with surge protectors and non-Carnival provided extension cords be removed from the ship at the next port.

Edited by HamSammie

With the risk of being "taken to task" again, I found this on Amazon. While it is grounded, it does not state that is also a surge protector. Wondering if this would be ok?

baf

I do not believe that one will work. GE makes an item very similar to this one. The GE model has the ground pole very near one edge of the device. This orientation would force the majority of the device to be located below the outlet. From the pictures I have seen, that would not allow enough room for it to plug into the outlet. This all assumes the Uber version is similar to the GE version and that the orientation of the outlet is the same in every cabin. These possibilities would present a gamble I would not take.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-d8e6/k2-_f44fcbc8-a2ed-454d-a662-9fa88e5a4008.v1.jpg

Look at the picture of the item plugged into the wall on the package. The pictures I have seen online, have the cruise cabin outlets upside down from the picture above.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain