MSC Cruises from the USA

martin4356111

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on MSC cruises from the USA.

I have sailed with MSC for the last two years, both Med cruises on the Preziosa and Splendida. I'm thinking about having a week in Orlando followed by a week on the MSC Divina in April 17.

I was just wondering if the MSC product differs for the American market? Obviously the on-board currency will be the dollar but what else is different?

I quite like the MSC product. Being an English only speaker, the multi-lingual announcements don’t bother me and I quite enjoy the entertainment. That said, I did enjoy the entertainment on RC, the stage shows and comedians in particular. I wonder if these are changed for the American market?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Martin

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on MSC cruises from the USA.

I have sailed with MSC for the last two years, both Med cruises on the Preziosa and Splendida. I'm thinking about having a week in Orlando followed by a week on the MSC Divina in April 17.

I was just wondering if the MSC product differs for the American market? Obviously the on-board currency will be the dollar but what else is different?

I quite like the MSC product. Being an English only speaker, the multi-lingual announcements don’t bother me and I quite enjoy the entertainment. That said, I did enjoy the entertainment on RC, the stage shows and comedians in particular. I wonder if these are changed for the American market?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Martin

I have done 5 Amer. sail. with them - none in Europe. I think they cater to the Amer. at the buffet with burgers, dogs, fries, but I did not see any diff. in the dining room. The dinner seating is earlier. Main lang. is Eng but still followed by other lang. More Americans on board, but many folks from other countries. I find Americans who have not traveled abroad a bit frustrated with their more relaxed service. I have done a fair bit of traveling and couldn't be happier. It is my favorite line.

Hope this helps.

I've only done one USA round trip sailing and I noticed a few differences. Apart from the onboard currency, dinner was earlier, menus were a bit different as were the drinks. Far ore English speaking passengers. Biggest difference was the onboard atmosphere. It was several years ago when MSC were barely known in the US and they made up the numbers wig Floridian retirees. Never heard so many folk whining at the same time - most had no idea MSC was Italian and they weren't happy. I didn't enjoy it as much as Med cruises or even transatlantic ones. I'm sure it is much different now.

I've only done one USA round trip sailing and I noticed a few differences. Apart from the onboard currency, dinner was earlier, menus were a bit different as were the drinks. Far ore English speaking passengers. Biggest difference was the onboard atmosphere. It was several years ago when MSC were barely known in the US and they made up the numbers wig Floridian retirees. Never heard so many folk whining at the same time - most had no idea MSC was Italian and they weren't happy. I didn't enjoy it as much as Med cruises or even transatlantic ones. I'm sure it is much different now.

No it is not diff. The Americans complain, they want instant pleasure. I am saddened to see this as I am one.

My greatest 2 voyages were the first two, now I just hope I can find some Italian atmosphere in my sailing.

All in all, I am happy to be on the sea.

I agree, we sailed MSC Divina and had a fantastic time! It's a beautiful ship, and we LOVED being surrounded by all nationalities. The only complaint we had was the whining Americans around us....and we're American. The service was excellent (more European than fawning American), the food was varied, ethnic (On the buffet) and very, very good, the entertainment was better than Carnival and Princess combined. We'd do Divina again JUST for the entertainment - London class entertainment!

We didn't think it was as organized as Carnival or Princess, who have got crowd control at embarkation and debarkation down to a Disney science. But it certainly wasn't mayhem, we were out of our cabin and off the ship within 45minutes at debarkation.

Go! You'll love it!

I agree, we sailed MSC Divina and had a fantastic time! It's a beautiful ship, and we LOVED being surrounded by all nationalities. The only complaint we had was the whining Americans around us....and we're American. The service was excellent (more European than fawning American), the food was varied, ethnic (On the buffet) and very, very good, the entertainment was better than Carnival and Princess combined. We'd do Divina again JUST for the entertainment - London class entertainment!

We didn't think it was as organized as Carnival or Princess, who have got crowd control at embarkation and debarkation down to a Disney science. But it certainly wasn't mayhem, we were out of our cabin and off the ship within 45minutes at debarkation.

Go! You'll love it!

This is very good to hear, thanks!

We just debarked from the Divina yesterday. We loved the ship and the 'European" atmospere.

I would estimate that 25 - 40% of the passengers were from countries other then the USA or Canada.

Yes, there were hot dogs, hamburgers and fries in the buffet at one station in the buffet. Otherwise, there was a wide range of other food throughout the rest of the buffet area.

I did break down and have a hamburger one day after seeing the hamburger that someone else was eating. Unlike, the gray, greasy, thin patty of Carnival's Guys burgers or those served on Royal Caribbean or NCL, the hamburger was thick (probably 5 oz precooked weight), lean, and flavorful.

Yes, I heard some whining from Americans that were obviously used to the American entry level lines (Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL). My favorite was the complaint that there were no pillow chocolates or towel animals.

I plan to write a review of our trip sometime this week.