Vanilla extract

cruisegirl1

I use the same amount I would regardless of county of origin.

You want vanilla that says it is natural and is Coumarine free. Los Cinco Soles sell trustworthy vanilla. It isn't the least expensive you can find, but it is safe.

Go back a couple of pages and you will see additional threads about vanilla

I also purchase Mexican vanilla at Los Cinco Soles when in Cozumel. About the best vanilla I've found in the many Mexican cities I've visited. I normally bring back 2 of the largest bottles they sell each time I visit.

We have friends who bake homemade cookies to send to our troops overseas and to our USOs here at home. They have baked over 2,100 dozen cookies for our troops using vanilla from Los Cinco Soles and they swear by that vanilla.

Dianne

I found that the vanilla from Mexico has a stronger flavor so I always cut back on the amount I use. You will have to experiment and find the flavor level you like.
See, different tastes for different people. I like vanilla a lot, so I usually use more than the recipe calls for anyway.

Do your research before buying vanilla in Mexico. A quick read through a few websites will tell you that most vanilla in Mexico is synthetic and not worth the price you pay. If you pay less that $20 for a large bottle of vanilla in Mexico, you can bet it ain't real. Mexico does not enforce its labeling regulations and even vanilla that says "natural" on the label most likely is not.

Check out this link

http://www.vanilla.com/html/facts-mexican.html

Sounds like this is not the area to be purchasing vanilla at all.

I'm not sure I'd trust this guy either...he's advertising his own vanilla and is sure to tell you anybody else's vanilla isn't any good.

There was a thread just a while back where Sally or someone from Cozumel found the best place to get good vanilla. Maybe try searching Vanilla and you'll find it??:)

Archived