Med Cruise Passport and Immigration Question.

I am planning on taking a Med cruise, departing from Spain and returning to Spain. It stops in France and Italy.

My question is for folks that have been on a recent cruise to the Med.

Are there immigration checks when you arrive at your original disembarkation port to get on the ship and then when you get off at each port of call and finally when you disembark at your final destination?

Thanks.

Schengen allows countries to reinstate border controls, and France did so after the attacks in Paris in November. (However, I did a cruise that stopped in France just after those attacks, and there was no sign of any additional security checks at that port.) Border restrictions are also subject to change as the current migrant crisis evolves.

I have not experienced or heard of cruise ships being affected so far by these issues (as far as extra immigration controls are concerned), but the situation can change quickly.

Depending on your nationality you may need a Schengen visa but once you have that you can travel within the Schengen agreement countries without further bureaucratic (customs) hurdles. Italy, France and Spain are all part of it, the UK isn't, just as an example.