Packing for Alaska on the Disney wonder with kids

marley

Help!!! Terribly overwhelmed on what in the world to pack! We are from Florida so this is a completely different climate then we are used to. I have 3 girls 6,9,10 and one little boy 3.

I have read that some of the exclusions recommend water proof shoes. I am assuming that this isn't my idea of water shoes. Please let me know what this means. Sorry for my ignorance, I'm usually packing bathing suits and flip flops. 😜

The best thing I did was to NOT take our heavy winter coats to Alaska. We went in August. You will want to dress in layers for everything because when the sun is out, it will be mild and beautiful...but it does a misty rain sometimes. I'd suggest a waterproof light weight jacket that will fit over a sweatshirt or jacket. I'd take 2 sweatshirts per person.

Shoes--not sure what excursions you are looking at. We wore sneakers for everything. For things that required snow boots, the tour operators supplied these in a form that went over the shoes.

Hi there! We went last summer with four kids ages 2-11. In terms of shoes, we made sure everyone had two pairs on sneakers that could get rained on, and just switched out as needed. They were never in a deluge, but we definitely got wet. We bought good raincoats off amazon, and took hoodies/fleece zip ups to wear underneath. We all froze on Tracey Arm day, and besides that we were very comfortable. Good luck!

Thank you. That certainly helps! We are planning on a nature walk in one of the ports that recommends water proof shoes. I'll double up on tennis shoes for the kids.

And forget the heavy coats and take some rain jackets. 😊👍🏼

Do you all think we need gloves and hats?

I don't like my ears to be cold, so took polar fleece pull on hats. These smash easily in the suitcase or carry on/backpack and are relatively water proof. Didn't need gloves (you always have pockets if necessary,but never needed them). We also did sneakers with a second pair that could swap out as needed. Again, shoes got damp but not really wet. However, we never encountered any "real" rain. We did have some misty, damp days.

Let me give you a couple "mom" suggestions for Alaska....

First, as long as you are connecting to a US tower, your cell phone will work with no extra charges. Just be sure that the phone doesn't indicate roaming before you use it.

In Ketchikan, there is a Wal-mart. This is totally useful if you forget anything! We took the public bus to Totem Bight state park ($1 per person each way). Admission to the park is free and there are free tour guides (people as well as hand outs). This is NOT an amazing excursion, but is somewhat interesting. The only thing the DCL excursion people got that we didn't was a cup of hot chocolate in the store! On the way back we got off at the Wal-mart stop, picked up a couple things, and took the complimentary transportation back into town (didn't even have to walk back to the bus stop!) I think the complimentary transportation is intended mainly for crew, but the signs don't say that and they take anyone. It will let you off about 2 blocks from the port, and you can have a nice walk/sightseeing thru the town on your way back to the ship.

Finding the public bus is really easy. There is a visitors center right by the port and they will direct you. Our instructions were something like "cross the street and walk to the left. Wait at the blue sign. If you get to the railway bridge, you went too far, back up." THey will also offer a complimentary map of the town.

No, I don't advocate going to Alaska to go to Wal-mart...but with 3 kids, you never know what will suddenly become a necessity that you didn't bring along!

Edited by moki'smommy

Hi there! We went last summer with four kids ages 2-11. In terms of shoes, we made sure everyone had two pairs on sneakers that could get rained on, and just switched out as needed. They were never in a deluge, but we definitely got wet. We bought good raincoats off amazon, and took hoodies/fleece zip ups to wear underneath. We all froze on Tracey Arm day, and besides that we were very comfortable. Good luck!

We did pretty much the same and it worked out fine. A hoodie, fleece and hat for each person, a change of shoes in case anyone's feet got wet and a cheap raincoat for each person. We all wore sneakers -- no special footwear. Even though I carried spare shoes for everyone, we didn't ever need them. On Tracey Arm day, we took advantage of the blankets that are on deck to keep my son extra warm. My husband and I were fine in our fleece jackets and hats.

Make sure to pack some short sleeve shirts. I've done 2 Alaska cruises and on one of them it was actually high-70s some days and we were happy to have light clothing to wear.

Rather than cheap raincoats, with multiple kids, I get LLBean raincoats a bit big, so they fit over fleece jackets, and can fit the next year, then be handed down to the next kid. For Alaska/Baltic weather--layers and 2 sets of shoes, as others have said. A under layer of underarmour or skin like one wears under a soceer shirt on a chilly day works good under everything else for a colder day and doesn't take up much room. Definitely gloves and scarfs, which worn with fleece jacket under a raincoat will keep you warm down to 40 degrees. I also throw in dollar store rain ponchos to put over raincoat for a downpour, just to keep the raincoat drier. I keep them in my tote bag, for the warm day that we don't take the raincoats.

Love the Walmart info--will keep that in mind for our Alaska trip in a few years.

Edited by elaine5

Let me give you a couple "mom" suggestions for Alaska....

First' date=' as long as you are connecting to a US tower, your cell phone will work with no extra charges. Just be sure that the phone doesn't indicate roaming before you use it.

[b']In Ketchikan, there is a Wal-mart.[/b] This is totally useful if you forget anything! We took the public bus to Totem Bight state park ($1 per person each way). Admission to the park is free and there are free tour guides (people as well as hand outs). This is NOT an amazing excursion, but is somewhat interesting. The only thing the DCL excursion people got that we didn't was a cup of hot chocolate in the store! On the way back we got off at the Wal-mart stop, picked up a couple things, and took the complimentary transportation back into town (didn't even have to walk back to the bus stop!) I think the complimentary transportation is intended mainly for crew, but the signs don't say that and they take anyone. It will let you off about 2 blocks from the port, and you can have a nice walk/sightseeing thru the town on your way back to the ship.

Finding the public bus is really easy. There is a visitors center right by the port and they will direct you. Our instructions were something like "cross the street and walk to the left. Wait at the blue sign. If you get to the railway bridge, you went too far, back up." THey will also offer a complimentary map of the town.

No, I don't advocate going to Alaska to go to Wal-mart...but with 3 kids, you never know what will suddenly become a necessity that you didn't bring along!

Well the WalMart in Ketchikan is one that's closing. Actually, as far as I know, it was supposed to close Feb 4th.

Edited by Shmoo here

I say dress in layers. We bring thermal vests, turtlenecks, windbreaker, knit hat, gloves, scarf. We've had to buy jackets in Alaska a couple of times.

Skagway can be very cold with that wind tunnel, and they have a nice shack right on the pier that sells jackets, vests, etc.

Pack Rain ponchos, and bug repellant. They call the mosquito the unofficial state bird.