DCL transfers from WDW resort to Port Canaveral

runeatcruise

If you've ever taken DCL transfers from your WDW resort to Port Canaveral, what is the earliest and latest pickup times you've been given? For you, not for your bags.

I don't have the letter from our first time, but, if I recall correctly, we were picked up around 11:30. But, after leaving the resort, we had to return for a party that hadn't shown up at the proper time. We arrived at the port around 1:30. The second time our bus departed our resort at 12:00, but made 2 more stops. We arrived at the port again at 1:30.

I've read reports of people being picked up as early as 10:30, and as late as 1:30.

I have read of early times (like 10:30) but have never been able to verify them. The times we have had have all been between 11:30 and 1:00. The letter does ask you to be at the meeting place one hour before the scheduled pick up time, so that may be where some people are getting 10:30.

When we have had an early time (11:30 or 12), the bus has always made additional stop(s) before heading to the port. Terminal arrival is supposedly scheduled for 1:30 but sometimes runs a little late depending on traffic, guests not being at the correct location, etc. A bus may make up to 3 resort stops depending on number of guests boarding at each stop. If there are enough guests at a given resort to fill a bus, that bus will make only one stop. On the other hand, if there are 10 guests boarding, you can count on the bus becoming more full before heading to port.

If you pick the check in time at the terminal while checking in online for the cruise your transfer time might depend on that! They trying to easy out the crowds at the terminal that's why they assign different pick up times for different people!

If you platinum castaway member or staying in the concierge level room you can go to terminal any time you want! Simply ask at your resort and I'm sure they will change your time pick up.

Earliest we ever left resort to port was 9:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you pick the check in time at the terminal while checking in online for the cruise your transfer time might depend on that! They trying to easy out the crowds at the terminal that's why they assign different pick up times for different people!

If you platinum castaway member or staying in the concierge level room you can go to terminal any time you want! Simply ask at your resort and I'm sure they will change your time pick up.

If you are using DCL transfers, there is only one pick up from each resort. Your time will be determined by the DCL computer system after they have the information as to how many guests with cruise transfers are at each resort. Your PAT is irrelevant if you are using DCL transfers from a WDW resort.

I suppose it is possible that DCL has totally changed the system in the last year or so, but from 1998 to 2014 there was only one pick up time from each resort and it would not be changed. If you have purchased private transfers, you can obviously arrange your departure any time you wish.

Edited by moki'smommy

I have read of early times (like 10:30) but have never been able to verify them. The times we have had have all been between 11:30 and 1:00. The letter does ask you to be at the meeting place one hour before the scheduled pick up time' date=' so that may be where some people are getting 10:30.

When we have had an early time (11:30 or 12), the bus has always made additional stop(s) before heading to the port. Terminal arrival is supposedly scheduled for 1:30 but sometimes runs a little late depending on traffic, guests not being at the correct location, etc. A bus may make up to 3 resort stops depending on number of guests boarding at each stop. If there are enough guests at a given resort to fill a bus, that bus will make only one stop. On the other hand, if there are 10 guests boarding, you can count on the bus becoming more full before heading to port.[/quote']

Our most recent time using the DCL transfers the letter said "meet with our Disney Cruise Line representative in the main lobby at least 15 minutes prior to departure. The motorcoach departure time is 12:00 PM."

The DCL transfer buses are busy in the morning bringing the debarking guests to the resorts/airport. The earliest that they can pick up is after 10:00 (more like 10:30).

You left on a DCL transfer bus at 9:30? When was that?

Edited by Shmoo here

We were told to meet at noon at our resort and left around 12:30... There were about 15-20 people on the bus and we made no further stops (Dec 2015). I wouldn't choose the DCL transfer again as we got to the port around 1:30 and boarded around 2:15...I prefer to be onboard as early as possible.

We were told to meet at noon at our resort and left around 12:30... There were about 15-20 people on the bus and we made no further stops (Dec 2015). I wouldn't choose the DCL transfer again as we got to the port around 1:30 and boarded around 2:15...I prefer to be onboard as early as possible.

That's interesting. Both times we arrived at 1:30, there were no lines at either check in or boarding. We were onboard by 1:40.

Boarding after DCL bus arrival depends on how many bus people arrive at the same time. There can be lines if several buses arrive within minutes of each other. I've never had to wait to board after check in. But I'm with you--I'd much rather arrange other transportation or rent a car and be on board at 11:30.

The advantage of DCL transfers is the luggage service--your tagged bags are taken from your hotel room about 8 am and next seen outside your cabin on the ship.

THe disadvantage is the late arrival at the terminal. The "break even" point in cost between a towncar/limo service and DCL transfers is about 4 people; if there are 4 or more of you, cost will be the same or less than transfers and you will run on your schedule. You can also choose a one way car rental; there are several companies located on or near WDW property and dropping 1-5 miles from the terminal with a complimentary shuttle to the ship. Obviously this involves more effort on your part, but a significant financial savings.

Basically, you choose between cost and convenience/service and the ability to control your own schedule.

Does anyone know how much the DCL transfer is form the resort to the ship? And does that include round trip back to the airport?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCL transfers from WDW to port; port to WDW; MCO to port; port to MCO are $35.00 per person each way.

DCL transfers are $35 per person for each "leg" of the trip. A "leg" is MCO-port or WDW-port in either direction.

Magical Express will take you MCO-WDW in either direction at no charge provided you have a reservation at WDW resort and have made the ME reservation.

Edited by moki'smommy

That's interesting. Both times we arrived at 1:30, there were no lines at either check in or boarding. We were onboard by 1:40.

I was surprised how crowded the terminal was when we arrived at 1:30, too. About the only good thing boarding so late was we were able to drop our carryon bags off in the room immediately. I was also surprised we took a fairly empty bus to the port-it did not stop before or after our resort. The only advantages of the DCL transfer to me was the luggage pickup at the resort at 8AM and the free luggage transfer at the end of the cruise.

I was surprised how crowded the terminal was when we arrived at 1:30, too. About the only good thing boarding so late was we were able to drop our carryon bags off in the room immediately. I was also surprised we took a fairly empty bus to the port-it did not stop before or after our resort. The only advantages of the DCL transfer to me was the luggage pickup at the resort at 8AM and the free luggage transfer at the end of the cruise.

Note--by "free luggage transfer at the end" I am guessing you are referring to the onboard airline check in service. There are restrictions to this service; it is NOT available to all who use DCL transfers. You must be on a participating airline, domestic flight, flight time after 11:30. Many people riding the DCL bus back to the airport will have their luggage under the bus, primarily because Southwest is not a participating airline.

Crowds in the terminal about 1:30 vary, but if you are providing your own transportation, this is a good time to avoid. It really depends on how many people are coming on buses from WDW and (if you were on one of those buses), whether you were the first or the last bus. If you are on one of the newer ships, there can be 1000 people on those buses! That's going to mean lines. And there is no way to predict the numbers in advance.

For those providing their own transportation who have a PAT after 12:30, the "sweet spot" for arrival is about 12:30. If you arrive around this time, you'll be checked in and ready to board when "open boarding" is announced--generally about 12:30-1:00, and you'll be on board before the WDW bus traffic starts to arrive.

Edited by moki'smommy