Hubby's question.....

rumple

My DH and myself are about to take out third cruise.

Our first was Oct 1987...our honeymoon... aboard Costa Riviera.

Our second was 3 years ago aboard Celebrity Summit.

My husband said that he felt that the level of service from the crew in general on Summit was not anywhere near the quality of the level of service we received on Riviera. He wondered why. We did note, in our comparison, that Riviera was staffed by mostly adults around 30 and up, whereas Summit was manned by much younger people. He felt the crew aboard Riviera were much more attentive, available, willing to go out of their way for you, constantly doing things for you.

The question is this: has service suffered over the years? If so, is it due to the staff being younger?

I told DH that I felt that it was due to the times, and you would probably have to look to the more elite lines (Seaborne, Silversea, Crystal, etc.) to find that level of service these days.

What are your experiences, what have you noticed, and what do you think it is due to?

Karen

My DH and myself are about to take out third cruise.

Our first was Oct 1987...our honeymoon... aboard Costa Riviera.

Our second was 3 years ago aboard Celebrity Summit.

My husband said that he felt that the level of service from the crew in general on Summit was not anywhere near the quality of the level of service we received on Riviera. He wondered why. We did note, in our comparison, that Riviera was staffed by mostly adults around 30 and up, whereas Summit was manned by much younger people. He felt the crew aboard Riviera were much more attentive, available, willing to go out of their way for you, constantly doing things for you.

The question is this: has service suffered over the years? If so, is it due to the staff being younger?

I told DH that I felt that it was due to the times, and you would probably have to look to the more elite lines (Seaborne, Silversea, Crystal, etc.) to find that level of service these days.

What are your experiences, what have you noticed, and what do you think it is due to?

Karen

I, too, sailed on the Riviera many years ago and used to really enjoy Costa. At the time, the staff and management was all Italian. Waitstaff in Italy are trained professionally, as it is considered a long term, lucrative career. To this day, I always enjoy the service I receive at hotels and restaurants in Italy.

I think that service has suffered across the board on cruises. Bigger ships, more cabins to fill, lower rates to fill those cabins: all these contribute to a lower standard of service on the mass market lines.

I do feel that Celebrity rates higher than the other major lines in terms of food and service. If your husband really wants great service, consider a luxury line if it is within your budget.

You will find the older, more experienced crew on board ships such as Crystal and Seabourn. The service on Costa has dropped considerably since 1997, and that goes for all the mass market lines. If you want impecable service, you have to pay the big bucks and go with a luxury line.

Thanks, one and all! This confirms my suspicions, and proves to DH that I am right (well, you know, they still need proof!). He just stood here are reads all of the replys, and now he is saying that it's not right, you pay all that money you should get great service! (OK, now where do I go with that one?--!!!) Sigh....he needs an expectation adjustment! He is saying that it is not that the service was bad on Celebrity, but just that it does not compare.

I do think we are going to try one of the big lines at some point...I want to be able to try it at least once!!

Karen

Tell the hubby that a lot of things changed in the nearly 20 years since he's been on a cruise ship. Nothing in life remains static, and that's especially true of service in all areas including restaurants and hotels and even in department stores. Your hubby sounds like my dad---he goes to a store and complains that shoes don't cost $20 like they did in 1960.

I know. I understand how he feels, but I guess the rest of us just accept it as...what is. He just isn't very realistic. I know, however, if I get him on a premium ship, he will re-discover the kind of service he is looking for. Method to my madness: maybe he will never again settle for less!!! (hee, hee...!!!)

Karen

Costa used to be great, but now their ships are just like any other Carnival ships, but with a yellow funnel.

The level of service on all of the mainstream lines has declined a lot, along with the prices... You get what you pay for, if you want a very high level of service go with Silversea - They're WONDERFUL, but you'll pay dearly!

Cruises used to be much more elaborate and the food better and the prices much much higher. I remember when in 1996 $750 for an outside cabin was an outstanding price! Now $500 is an outstanding price. We paid a bunch for our first RCCL cruises in 1991 and they were awesome - the Galla Buffet was two dining rooms large and incredible - I don't even go now. BUT I love the prices as they are but for the new prices service and other things must go... :) Debbie

Your husband probably likes hard core facts. While inflation and cruise prices are a factor, men like things more brutal. So here is a brutal explanation.

20 years ago some individuals had limited job opportunities and getting and keeping this job meant they could support their families. Lose the job, they get sent back home where their families might starve while they get to watch. Now thats motivation.

I know if it meant that my family would not starve and could afford medicine, I would remember what drink a person liked, everyones name, would be happy to work 16 hours a day and all with a smile on my face.......wouldn't you?

Your husband probably likes hard core facts. While inflation and cruise prices are a factor, men like things more brutal. So here is a brutal explanation.

20 years ago some individuals had limited job opportunities and getting and keeping this job meant they could support their families. Lose the job, they get sent back home where their families might starve while they get to watch. Now thats motivation.

I know if it meant that my family would not starve and could afford medicine, I would remember what drink a person liked, everyones name, would be happy to work 16 hours a day and all with a smile on my face.......wouldn't you?

Correct you are! I think most of the crew I've seen on the ships nowadays are kids....no family to support. Our last room steward was very nice, but she clearly was there to have fun, not work so hard that we were awed!

Again, would love to try the premiums...maybe I can squeak a deal one day! Fellow cruisers, keep your fingers crossed!!! If I should land one, I will post a comparison report!!

Karen

Correct you are! I think most of the crew I've seen on the ships nowadays are kids....no family to support. Our last room steward was very nice, but she clearly was there to have fun, not work so hard that we were awed!

Karen

Having lived many years in the countries from which many cruise staffers come, I can say that statement does not fully reflect those cultures. Filipinos, for just one example, have large extended families. They have a long tradition of sending money home to younger brothers and sisters or to parents and grandparents. They are expected to do so. Not to share with the financial responsibilities of the extended family would be shameful in those cultures and regarded as selfish and uncaring.

Your steward may have been an exception. I don't know which culture she represented. But I do know from personal experience that South Americans, Central Americans, Mexicans and Asians do look after their family members often sacrificing to an extent unimaginable in the U.S.

We tend to be more self-sufficient and, indeed, we are expected to be self-reliant. That is our way. Many other cultures have a very different perspective. I'm not saying we are right or they are right. I'm just explaining dramatic differences and why it is often misleading to judge the behavior of someone from another culture based on our own cultural norms.

Archived