SDP at Ocean Blue has different rules?

Jezo

(I am going to play the part of the negative person here because I want to get this all cleared up before we sail)

The T&Cs say..

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

So is this one of those cases of it being assumed multiple apps and desserts can be ordered because the NCL page only says main courses have additional charges? No where does it say multiple other courses can be ordered free of charge but it also does not say multiple other courses ordered will have a charge.

So inclusion by omission of it not being spelled out in the contract?

Under Frequently Asked Questions see Are Any Menu Items Excluded from SDP Packages? "No, all items listed on the menus are included in the package. Additional entree charges also apply for dining at Cagney's Steakhouse and Le Bistro."

The "additional entree charges" above in the answer refer to "main entrees" which are charged $10 for additional. This would have been the perfect spot for NCL to indicate that the number of items ordered had a limit, but they did not state this. They only have the stipulation re additional mains and the Seafood dish at Ocean Bkue. Even going back to when there were only flat cover charges, there was never any restriction on apps, etc. Every bit of anecdotal info since the UDP and SDP were offered has indicated that this has continued to be the handling.

Edited by punkincc

This is quite the conspiracy...

Isn't it really only one person who was told by a waiter in Ocean Blue that it was one of each? Not quite a conspiracy. So since I was told by a waiter in Cagneys last week that it was one of each, should I then proclaim that this 'one of each' is the rule despite the fact that they quickly recinded this once the manager got involved, the terms do not state this, personal experience to the contrary and many others who report the same?

Sometimes the ship's staff just gets it wrong. There is a lot of confusion with the UPD, then the SDP, and then a la carte so it's not surprising.

I suppose there is a slight chance the rules are different at Ocean Blue, but based on the terms and conditions I'm seeing, it is not, and unless someone can come up with it in writing, I would not put up with being told otherwise on the ship.

Even going back to when there were only flat cover charges, there was never any restriction on apps, etc.

Actually, there was, for Ocean Blue, as pointed out already above (by OceanBlue123 :)). Lots of threads about this, for example:

Ocean blue on getaway...worth it?

Ocean Blue Courses Question

Ocean Blue

Maybe this changed after Zakarian left, I'm not sure about that. More recently, with introduction of the SDP, some people have reported being able to order as much of anything they wanted, including with the new à la carte pricing. See for example:

Ocean Blue Menu

Howere, I agree with what Jezo said above about the terms and conditions of the dining packages. Ideally they should tell you exactly what is included and exactly what is excluded. Unfortunately, there are lots of things that they don't say either way (like multiple apps and desserts). You can hope for those things to be included, but the terms do not say that they are included. And the rules can absolutely be different from restaurant to restaurant, because again nothing in the terms says that all the restaurants have the same rules.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Actually, there was, for Ocean Blue, as pointed out already above (by OceanBlue123 :)). Lots of threads about this, for example:

Ocean blue on getaway...worth it?

Ocean Blue Courses Question

Ocean Blue

Maybe this changed after Zakarian left, I'm not sure about that. More recently, with introduction of the SDP, some people have reported being able to order as much of anything they wanted, including with the new à la carte pricing. See for example:

Ocean Blue Menu

Howere, I agree with what Jezo said above about the terms and conditions of the dining packages. Ideally they should tell you exactly what is included and exactly what is excluded. Unfortunately, there are lots of things that they don't say either way (like multiple apps and desserts). You can hope for those things to be included, but the terms do not say that they are included. And the rules can absolutely be different from restaurant to restaurant, because again nothing in the terms says that all the restaurants have the same rules.

I think we've belabored this topic long enough, but I'll say one final thing.

You may be correct about Ocean Blue before Zackarian left and it was added to the new SDP packages. You yourself say that reports post SDP now indicate that multiple sides can be ordered there. I believe there was a report of this within this thread.

The purpose of the Terms and Conditions for the SDP are to spell out exactly what we need to know. Which venues are included and which are excluded, which ones have cover charges. It also tells us that a second main entree will incur a charge. It tells us that a certain menu item at Ocean Blue is excluded, and that the upcharge will be not be applied if ordered, but the item price added instead. And if these terms are not clear enough, there is a Q & A section to further clarify, where it states that all items listed on the menu are included. No mention that they are in limited quantity of any sort, with the exceptions of mains and one menu item at Ocean Blue which are clearly addressed in the terms. And the rules cannot be different from restaurant to restaurant unless they spell out those differences, which they did in reference to the excluded main at O.B. in the T &C.

So are we to assume that NCL, after being so specific about venues, upcharges and a specific exclusion at one venue, really intended to restrict users of this package to one app, one main and one dessert, but totally omitted mention of it in the terms people read before making their purchase? That's a pretty glaring omission. It would boggle my mind if that was their intent, but they failed to ever put it in writing. And the experience of pretty much everyone since the UDP and SDP have been in existence has been that there are no restrictions on apps, sides and desserts. So if restricting apps, etc, had been their intent, we would have known it long ago.

So, no, NCL does not get to make up the rules as they go along, or according to how the waiter somewhere thinks it should be done. If they want to change the rules, they first have to change the terms and conditions.

So, no, NCL does not get to make up the rules as they go along, or according to how the waiter somewhere thinks it should be done. If they want to change the rules, they first have to change the terms and conditions.

So when I get on the ship next year and everyone refuses my multiple appetizer request, what do I do?

Whip out your screenshot of the T&Cs and show them the part where it says you can have unlimited appetizers…

That's the funniest post on this thread all day.

How subtlety subversive

BTW, here is an archive of the T&Cs from June 2015: http://web.archive.org/web/20150622121423/http://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

The main differences are:

• Baymo was only $10 instead of $15 extra.
  • Specialty Dining Packages are now explicitly non-transferable.
  • They don't specifically set the charge for an additional main course, where they used to list it at $10.
  • New: Ocean Blue - $15 (does not include Seafood Extravaganza. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived).
  • New: Raw Bar - $7 (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived). If the Upcharge option is selected, that visit will be counted towards one of the meals in the package.

None of these will affect me on my upcoming cruise, but if they did and since I booked last year, I might argue that the old T&C ought to be grandfathered.

Edited by Sizzlechest

Whip out your screenshot of the T&Cs and show them the part where it says you can have unlimited appetizers…

I wish someone would whip out a copy of the T&Cs and show me the part where it says that package holders may only order 1 from each category.;).

So when I get on the ship next year and everyone refuses my multiple appetizer request, what do I do?

Based on the experiences of virtually everyone who has successfully done this in the past, I can virtually guarantee you that this is not going to happen. If it does, simply tell the server that this is not stated in the terms of the package that you bought. Have a copy with you of the terms as they existed when you bought your package. Take it as high up the ladder as you need to go. In our case, the server was set straight by the manager and we never even had to speak to him.

You have several months to go before you cruise. As Sizzlechest pointed out, the terms are updated occassionally, so keep is eye on the board and the experiences of others. If terms do change, they should honor what was stated when you purchased.

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in to this....I have SDP for our upcoming cruise on breakaway....booked Cagneys, La Cucina, and Teppynaki....went to book Ocean Blue for our 4th night and it was trying to bill me for 15 per person....other dining venues are free for us but couldnt include Ocean Blue. We got our SDP with the Haven purchase:)

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in to this....I have SDP for our upcoming cruise on breakaway....booked Cagneys, La Cucina, and Teppynaki....went to book Ocean Blue for our 4th night and it was trying to bill me for 15 per person....other dining venues are free for us but couldnt include Ocean Blue. We got our SDP with the Haven purchase:)

If you read the terms of the SDP, you'll see that Ocean Blue has a $15 upcharge. That's why it was charging $15 (which would be $17.70 after 18% gratuity).

If you read the terms of the SDP, you'll see that Ocean Blue has a $15 upcharge. That's why it was charging $15 (which would be $17.70 after 18% gratuity).

There is no gratuity when you book the Haven.......;)

There is no gratuity when you book the Haven.......;)

Thanks. I knew there wasn't on the promo packages, but I didn't know there wasn't on purchases. Hopefully in addition to correcting my error, you also read about the upcharge, which was obviously the point of my entire post to you.

Edited by LrgPizza

So, if I have the 3 meal SDP included in my cruise and I want to eat at Ocean blue, it's a $15 + tax up charge. Does that also count as one of my 3 meals?

What would it cost to eat there if you didn't have the SDP?

So, if I have the 3 meal SDP included in my cruise and I want to eat at Ocean blue, it's a $15 + tax up charge. Does that also count as one of my 3 meals?

What would it cost to eat there if you didn't have the SDP?

No tax. There is an 18% gratuity. Yes, it would also count as one of your meals. If you don't use a credit, items are priced à la carte, so it would depend what you order. Here is the menu with prices:

8aec8fd233f1fd49bb7c06986a0be891.jpg

Edited by LrgPizza

Careful about one thing... The Seafood Extravaganza is not allowed on the current SDP. Instead of a $15 upcharge, they will charge you for the meal (I assume $39.99). I have no idea if this also counts as a SDP meal or not. Now, this change wasn't in the T&Cs last year, so if you bought the SDP back then, it's up to you if you want to fight for the $15 upcharge to cover everything on the menu.

Careful about one thing... The Seafood Extravaganza is not allowed on the current SDP. Instead of a $15 upcharge, they will charge you for the meal (I assume $39.99). I have no idea if this also counts as a SDP meal or not. Now, this change wasn't in the T&Cs last year, so if you bought the SDP back then, it's up to you if you want to fight for the $15 upcharge to cover everything on the menu.

If your terms predate this update to the SDP, then yes, you can try to get a ruling in your favor before you order. But if the ruling is not in your favor, or you bought a package with this stipulation, then I would just either not order it or simply not use the package there. I would imagine they will use one night of the SDP if that dish is ordered. The terms don't say they won't. If someone knows they will order the Seafood Extravaganza, they might just as well let the server know they do not wish to use the SDP that night, go strictly a la carte for an extra $10 or so, and use the SDP credit another night elsewhere. Looks like the side dishes have no charge, only the apps and desserts. You may as well just pony up an extra $10 for an app and dessert and save the SDP credit for a night when its value can be $50 or more. I wouldn't waste it to cover a night where its value was only $10 or so.

Yum - seeing the menu again makes my mouth water! We went to Ocean Blue last month - we had UDP and were charged the $17.70 extra pp (booked online ahead of time). I had the king crab app, the dover sole, and 2 sides (charred broccoli and mac and cheese). I forget what I had for dessert, but I know I was very full after dinner. One app, one entree and one dessert is way more than enough food!

• 1 month later...

So there seems to be quite the confusion of whether you can order multiples or not. I am trying to determine if we wish to add the additional day to the package and pay the upcharge, or just order the items individually. I wouldn't typically order desserts as they aren't overly appealing to me, while we would enjoy several of the appetizers. I could almost make a meal from those and skip the entree. If I could order several appetizers then we may add the package.

I know back on our cruise in September 2015 there was the question of the additional entree in Cagneys and Le Bistro being a charge of $10 more. The first night in Cagneys were were told this was the case, second time in Cagneys the waitress told us there was no additional fee and 2 at our table of 9 ordered additional entrees without any extra charge. Both nights dining at Le Bistro we were also told no additional charge for the extra entree.

Edited by mom2tcdx2

FWIW, I was on the Getaway in March. My wife and I ordered 2 apps each with no problem. In fact, after finishing our apps the waiter asked if he could bring any more, and my wife asked for another order of stone crab claws. These were brought with a smile! Ocean Blue is an amazing restaurant and well worth the $15 up-charge. Also, having pre-paid the gratuities for the dining plan, I don't believe we were charged more than $15 pp, though I could be mistaken.