Carnival excursions in Skagway- railway

Has anyone done either the "All Aboard" steam train adventure (4 hours $229) or the White Pass Summit Excursion ( 3 hours $124) rail excursions offered by Carnival in Skagway?

I am trying to figure out the difference between the two and why the first is over $100 more if it is only and hour longer.

We enjoy scenery and learning the history- but favor scenery over the narration anytime if that is a factor. I can't tell what the major difference is from Carnival's description or the reviews on Carnival. Any help is appreciated.

Look at them carefully. We took two different trips on two of our cruises. Cannot remember what they were called. But, one was done with the train up from Skagway and back to Skagway. The other was the train up and a bus ride back down the mountains.

Just went to the Carnival site and checked. The "All Aboard" steam train adventure (4 hours $229) is the one that takes the train up and you get a Champaign toast, a commemorative medal, and then board a bus for the ride down the highway back to Skagway. Make sure you bring your passports because you will get off the train and have to clear customs before you board the bus. The White Pass Summit Excursion ( 3 hours $124) is the train up and back. You do not get off the train but you experience the process of riding the train while it is turn around to head back down.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

The difference is one is a steam train and the other is a diesel train.

Having said that, I would look at Chilkoot Charters. It's the exact same excusion, a lot cheaper, and you get a train car with only Chilkoot Charter passengers.

This and TAF Explorer excursions were the highlight of my trip last year.

It's nice with Chilkoot too because they use smaller busses and can stop many more places. It seemed very personal as well and easy to ask the driver anything.

It was $185 for the 7/8 hour excursion.

The difference is one is a steam train and the other is a diesel train.

Having said that, I would look at Chilkoot Charters. It's the exact same excusion, a lot cheaper, and you get a train car with only Chilkoot Charter passengers.

This and TAF Explorer excursions were the highlight of my trip last year.

It's nice with Chilkoot too because they use smaller busses and can stop many more places. It seemed very personal as well and easy to ask the driver anything.

It was $185 for the 7/8 hour excursion.

We did this excursion 3 years ago & it was great!! We were in the last car on the train & you were able to go out the back of the train & stand on the back porch as the train went up the mountains!! So beautiful!!

We did the three hour round trip train ride some years ago and in every regard it was spectacular. Wonderful old cars and wonderful scenery at every turn. I highly recommend it!

What ever you choose--ENJOY!

We did this almost 20 years ago and I still remember it being spectacular!! Awesome scenery. I would take the train roundtrip over a bus down any day. :D

We did one of the carnival tours where the bus took us up the mountain and the train trip was coming back. The bus stopped at some beautiful photo ops and a lake. Then it took us to a farm where the sled dogs live and they fed us bbq. We stopped at another area and then boarded the train back down the mountain. It was beautiful scenery and the bus ride wasn't bad because it stopped for pics. It was a nice trip.

We did one of the carnival tours where the bus took us up the mountain and the train trip was coming back. The bus stopped at some beautiful photo ops and a lake. Then it took us to a farm where the sled dogs live and they fed us bbq. We stopped at another area and then boarded the train back down the mountain. It was beautiful scenery and the bus ride wasn't bad because it stopped for pics. It was a nice trip.

We did this one also and it was great. You go into British Columbia and the Yukon for fabulous photo ops. Make sure you take your passport ( they check carefully going into Canada). You still get the train ride back but with this excursion you get so much more.

Did the 3 hour steam train last season in Alaska. If your a train buff and enjoy the sound and smell of the steam train it is well worth it. One of the top 5 things we did in Alaska. If you go get to the train early and sit in the back car makes for better pictures

Did the 3 hour steam train last season in Alaska. If your a train buff and enjoy the sound and smell of the steam train it is well worth it. One of the top 5 things we did in Alaska. If you go get to the train early and sit in the back car makes for better pictures

I'm guessing it doesn't matter which side you sit on since the train turns around and comes back down the way it went up.

I'm guessing it doesn't matter which side you sit on since the train turns around and comes back down the way it went up.

No it does not.. There is a area in the rear of the train that you can stand outside and take pictures... Makes for some cool shots of the front of the train as you come around a bend

No it does not.. There is a area in the rear of the train that you can stand outside and take pictures... Makes for some cool shots of the front of the train as you come around a bend

OK- so my plan is to get onboard early and find a seat towards the back. Is there anything I should bring besides layers and cameras?

I think it still matters what side you sit on. You'd want to sit on the left side going up and the right side coming back for the best scenery.

You can stand on the platform, but it's not that big and you need to share the space with other people on the train car.

There was maybe 15 people in my car and we were in the very last car, but only 3 maybe 4 people could comfortably be outside at once taking turns getting pictures.

If you're not in the last car, which seems to be exclusive to Chilkoot Charters only from all accounts I've read, I would only think 1 maybe 2 could be taking pictures on the platform since you're much more limited in the angles you have.

Going up if you sit on the right side you will be looking at a stone wall a majority of the time, same goes coming down sitting on the left.

I think it still matters what side you sit on. You'd want to sit on the left side going up and the right side coming back for the best scenery.

You can stand on the platform, but it's not that big and you need to share the space with other people on the train car.

There was maybe 15 people in my car and we were in the very last car, but only 3 maybe 4 people could comfortably be outside at once taking turns getting pictures.

If you're not in the last car, which seems to be exclusive to Chilkoot Charters only from all accounts I've read, I would only think 1 maybe 2 could be taking pictures on the platform since you're much more limited in the angles you have.

we were on the Carnival trip and we had access to the last car on the steam train. No private charter.

Layers are good but depending on time of year depends on how much you need to wear. I would also bring a snack if you like . When you come back into town you can get dropped off at the station or the ship you choose.

I guess i was lucky when i went there were only 3 of us that were on the back platform most of the time. I will post some pictures later of the train

Going up if you sit on the right side you will be looking at a stone wall a majority of the time, same goes coming down sitting on the left

Has anyone done either the "All Aboard" steam train adventure (4 hours $229) or the White Pass Summit Excursion ( 3 hours $124) rail excursions offered by Carnival in Skagway?

I am trying to figure out the difference between the two and why the first is over $100 more if it is only and hour longer.

We enjoy scenery and learning the history- but favor scenery over the narration anytime if that is a factor. I can't tell what the major difference is from Carnival's description or the reviews on Carnival. Any help is appreciated.

Given your preference for scenery, do the White Pass train. We did it on our HAL trip last year and the scenery was stunning.

I second the Chilroot Charter excursion. You most always get the last car with 10-15 people in the entire train car. Standing on the back platform watching the Alaskan landscape go by with nothing in your way is the highlight of my trip last year. I was out there with 2 other people the entire ride up. And our guide was wonderful stopping the bus when we wanted on the way back down the mountain. She took everyone's picture and even brought bubbles for the kids. It's also cheaper than going with ship not by much maybe but well worth it.

We booked the steam train excursion through Carnival in 2014. We wanted to ride the steam train, and the cruise lines (NCL and Carnival) had the exclusive trip. It was great - loved the steam train experience and when we got to Fraser we had a champagne toast and snack before turning around (it's a loop, so they don't move the engine to the other end of the train) and heading back to Skagway. You will be on one side of the train going up and the other coming down - but even though they tell you it doesn't make a difference, my vote is for the left side going up. The train goes slower and you get better pictures.