Turkey Travel Warning issued March 29, 2016

Boscodog

Cowspanker, . Thanks for the map.

U.S. Warning also includes Izmir peninsula which is closer unless Izmir peninsula is something other than the city of Izmir and its surrounding area.

The threat was for bases in Izmir Province which is 4,600 sq miles.

This can not be any clearer. This warning is for Istanbul, not some region near Syria.

The U.S. Mission in Turkey states that there are credible threats to tourist areas, in particular to public squares and docks in Istanbul.

http://istanbul.usconsulate.gov/sm_040916.html

Edited by R&M1000

This can not be any clearer. This warning is for Istanbul, not some region near Syria.

The U.S. Mission in Turkey states that there are credible threats to tourist areas, in particular to public squares and docks in Istanbul.

The US warning was also for Antalya, a very popular resort area.

The Israeli warning is for tourist sites in ALL of Turkey.

Please actually read. The post I referenced was quoting the warning from 2 weeks ago and u was correcting the reference to Peninsular with Province.

Please actually read. The post I referenced was quoting the warning from 2 weeks ago and u was correcting the reference to Peninsular with Province.

You also referenced the map that was posted this morning that shows Istanbul as an area that one should "reconsider your need to travel to".

Edited by R&M1000

At this point... Well at a point a while back, it was safe to say that lines will not have Turkey as a port of call.

Hal's decision last week to not let passengers off the ship unless embark/debark was what they were left with because they waited too long. Is celebrity going to take the same stance? At least many insurance plans will cover cancelation if the lines still choose to embark/debark in Istanbul.

Celebrity should, actually should have some time ago, at least notify booked passengers of their plans. I can't believe that companies as big as carnival Corp and celebrity would intentionally just think the turkey situation was going away given what the govt has been saying and other lines decisions. Blaming the changes on sudden security concerns is not valid. This situation has been a world concern for sometime now, enough time that other lines successfully replaced ports of call and embarkation/debarkation ports long ago.

If In fact they have no alternative available ports of call and will Substitute with sea days they could offer up some obc for failing to make any decisions in time to get replacement ports.

Idk what they'll do about embark/debark sailings for Istanbul. Hope they found alternative and airlines can waive change fees.

You also referenced the map that was posted this morning that shows Istanbul as an area that one should "reconsider your need to travel to".

?? Please show me where I referenced a map? The poster I corrected referenced the map, not me

Edited by Cruise Junky

4600 sq miles, sounds a lot doesn't it?

About the same as the Los Angeles area, somehow doesn't feel like such a big area now....

4600 sq miles, sounds a lot doesn't it?

About the same as the Los Angeles area, somehow doesn't feel like such a big area now....

:rolleyes: I never said go and be safe. I was correcting an inaccurate post. There's a big difference between examine actual fact to running around spreading paranoia. I am affected by what the cruise ships decide in the upcoming weeks and I don't appreciate the misrepresentation of facts

And I believe the Los Angeles area is under 500 sq miles, not 4,600

I can't believe the goofy cruise people would even consider stopping in Turkey for vacation. Oh I forgot, it's for the pictures! If they get hurt in Turkey they would be the first to litigate the cruise line for stopping there, not there stupid ignorance of living it safe!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

:rolleyes: I never said go and be safe. I was correcting an inaccurate post. There's a big difference between examine actual fact to running around spreading paranoia. I am affected by what the cruise ships decide in the upcoming weeks and I don't appreciate the misrepresentation of facts

Greater Los Angeles area is about 4800

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Los_Angeles_Area

My point being quoting figures like 4600 square miles is misleading - most people cannot visualise it. In a straight line it is a long way. but as the area squares up it becomes about 70 miles by 70 miles

Edited by DYKWIA

Greater Los Angeles area is about 4600

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Los_Angeles_Area

My point being quoting figures like 4600 square miles is misleading - most people cannot visualise it. In a straight line it is a long way. but as the area squares up it becomes about 70 miles by 70 miles

you didn't say the "Greater" los angeles area

For those Americans who are not aware of the STEP program' date=' you can enroll on the travel.state.gov website. It provides a way for the State Department to know where you are traveling, just in case.

We signed onto this program when we heading to Honduras, another country that suffers from excess violence. Given the Travel Warning warned of violence and the fact that we were traveling through San Pedro Sula, "murder capital of the world", I decided that it was the prudent thing to do.

The link for the Smart Traveler Progam didn't copy over to this post. However, you can easily find it the site. Look for: "Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency."[/quote']

sorry to burst your bubble, but they may have this online program, but they will not actually do anything for you in a 'situation'...

if you go to a danger zone thinking they will help you in a pickle, think again.......they won't.....i'm not saying don't go.....i go regardless....but know that you're on your own, come what may...

I was just remarking about this on my Roll Call for Oct.

If and when X does cancel the rest of our Turkish ports, we'll just roll with the tide and go wherever the ship goes.

I agree, I have held off of finalizing any of my plans regarding Istanbul ( our post cruise port). And any plans I make in future, I will make sure come with ability to cancel. It won't effect my enjoyment of holiday, if it gets cancelled all together, however this is my first European cruise, so all ports are new exiting to me.

I don't think the govt in this case is trying to spread paranoia. izmir is an area less than 70 miles by 70 miles. Kusadasi is located in this radius.

We can't change the facts, and with regard to what is going on in Turkey they are not misrepresented facts and simple unfounded hysteria. Calling it 4600 square miles to make it sound like trouble is a world away doesn't make the trouble further away. There's some pretty serious warnings in this area.

Regarding the situation in Istanbul it's not a matter of just a warning. If you could equate terrorism as sharks and the world a sea, yes there's always a danger of attack. In the case of Turkey it's more like theres Sharks in the water right in front of you... and have attacked repeatedly. Get out of the water. Tourists are the bait.

The warning this morning couldn't be any clearer. Sure people swim in shark infested waters. Not all die. Terrorists won't kill everyone in the world and certainly not every tourist in Istanbul. Just the ones they can easily target. A boat load of fresh bait is what they are chomping at the bit for.

I don't think the govt in this case is trying to spread paranoia. izmir is an area less than 70 miles by 70 miles. Kusadasi is located in this radius.

We can't change the facts, and with regard to what is going on in Turkey they are not misrepresented facts and simple unfounded hysteria. Calling it 4600 square miles to make it sound like trouble is a world away doesn't make the trouble further away. There's some pretty serious warnings in this area.

Regarding the situation in Istanbul it's not a matter of just a warning. If you could equate terrorism as sharks and the world a sea, yes there's always a danger of attack. In the case of Turkey it's more like theres Sharks in the water right in front of you... and have attacked repeatedly. Get out of the water. Tourists are the bait.

The warning this morning couldn't be any clearer. Sure people swim in shark infested waters. Not all die. Terrorists won't kill everyone in the world and certainly not every tourist in Istanbul. Just the ones they can easily target. A boat load of fresh bait is what they are chomping at the bit for.

I wasn't referring to the government creating mass hysteria, i was referencing the posters on CC who feel a need to post the same thing over and over on 10 different threads who have zero plans of visiting Europe.

There's a big difference between examine actual fact to running around spreading paranoia. I am affected by what the cruise ships decide in the upcoming weeks and I don't appreciate the misrepresentation of facts

I wasn't referring to the government creating mass hysteria, i was referencing the posters on CC who feel a need to post the same thing over and over on 10 different threads who have zero plans of visiting Europe.

It is understandable that you are on edge and defensive about the current situation, about posts here, and especially about cruise lines' announced and unannounced itinerary changes. It's difficult, frustrating, and stressful to have a planned vacation changed on you, especially if you haven't heard anything clear or definite from your cruise line.

Since I actually have posted on about half a dozen threads today, you might be making a reference to me in the second post I quote above. Aside from the fact that I clearly stated that I felt I had an obligation to post the Israeli warning, and made clear that not only was my intention not to scaremonger, but that I had been hesitant to post because of the accusations that would be made against me, your claiming that some posters have no intention to visit Europe seems a bit hasty and arrogant, but I'll chalk it up to an expression of your frustration.

For example, in my case, I can be in Istanbul in less than 3 hours, and just about anywhere in Europe within 5 hours. I spent several days in Rome at the end of October, followed by a Greek Isles cruise which also visited Kusadasi/Ephesus. We had plans to be in Venice at the beginning of May, followed by another cruise, but had to cancel for unexpected surgery. But since Europe is pretty much in our backyard, we can and will be there at anytime on pretty much last minute's notice. I'll admit that Turkey will not be in our plans anytime in the foreseeable future, but that happens to be why I chose the cruise I took in October- the area was so heated up that I had a strong gut feeling that it was a 'now or never' call.

And, of course, living in Israel, I have way too much first hand (past and ongoing) experience with terrorism, so when my government issues an urgent warning to get out and stay out of a country, I know there is a great deal of intelligence information which is not being released, and that the situation is dangerously volatile. I don't look for nuances, I don't check distances, I don't try to twist this way and that to find a way that maybe I can visit. I stay away.

I apologize. I don't want to miss Kusadasi either. I thought Ephesus was the highlight of my trip. One of my daughters thought the best day of the trip was in Selcuk at the rug factory. Me not so much but everyone has their own opinions.

What is a shame is if the lines who haven't canceled yet just replace with sea day like carnival. Some of these itineraries would become a waste of time unless you are in it for the ship only activities. To pay in many cases, tens of thousands, haul your family over to Europe only to be placed on ship that has few ports doesn't sound fun.

Given what's going on in Turkey and the warnings it may be prudent for those who actually have Turkish port intensive sailings to look at alternatives. I know the fares of the NCL sailings that are not visiting turkey are way up. But some of the sailings in the next few weeks are cutting prices on remaining staterooms.

The way my insurance plan reads is that if there is an event within 30 days it will cover. If people are flying into Attaturk and can't get airline to change flight, they could probably just transfer onto flight to BCN, VCE or FCO to pick up a coordinating sailing on another line? Things to look into at this point.

Celebrity Email today with offer Veranda $150 obc plus classic drink package

Istanbul to Rome seven nights $855 AUD For our American friends this Converts to USD645 the OBC is in USD Cruise cost USD645,00

OBC USD150.00

Classic Drink Package seven days@$50 = USD350.00

Total cost pp USD145.00

I can use the OBC to pay my Gratuities my TA in Aussie got me USD $400 OBC So now the cost of this cruise for myself and the hand brake is

USD95 Per Person you might say bargain but Istanbul is a worry

have a g/day Aussie

I find this thread quite interesting.... ( yes I'm doing a cruise with Turkey stops later in the year)

Maybe my attitude is slightly different as I grew up on the UK mainland in the 1970's

That was when the IRA upped their bombing targets to include mainland UK targets. They even blew up a pub in my home town!

London hotel bombs, tube and train bombings....they all happened here.The need to be vigolent and bomb scares were part of every day living..... so to me Turkey seems no different.

So if any visitors to London wonder why there are no litter bins in tube stations........ when there were, the IRA used to plant bombs in them!

I find this thread quite interesting.... ( yes I'm doing a cruise with Turkey stops later in the year)

Maybe my attitude is slightly different as I grew up on the UK mainland in the 1970's

That was when the IRA upped their bombing targets to include mainland UK targets. They even blew up a pub in my home town!

London hotel bombs, tube and train bombings....they all happened here.The need to be vigolent and bomb scares were part of every day living..... so to me Turkey seems no different.

So if any visitors to London wonder why there are no litter bins in tube stations........ when there were, the IRA used to plant bombs in them!

I think the IRA issue was different. Their targets were the British and not primarily tourists and certainly not US tourists!

The way they conducted their attacks was also different; no suicide bombers and often (but not always) telephone warnings beforehand.