Sushi on 5 was excellent today.

robsmom

I think that people who use the term "nickel and dime" have forgotten that the concept is to help people save money not spend money. These cruise companies have chosen to keep standard rates fairly low but give the option to get an upgraded product or a more customized product to others who don't mind spending more money. I wouldn't want my cruise fare to increase to give free alcohol to everyone, I hardly drink at all...if you want it, you buy it. Same with food....I wouldn't want my standard cruise fare to increase to upgrade the food in the dining room, we are very happy with it, so those people who are unhappy with standard dining room food have the option to increase the enjoyment of their cruise without my rate going up. I like the concept, my husband and I get to have the customized cruise we want without paying for things we don't care about and that makes our cruise perfect for us.

What bothers me is not necessarily the "nickle and diming" complaint (I have and will continue to try the various Specialty restaurants), but rather the switch to a la carte locations. I don't mind a specialty restaurant because I can justify the extra cost for a special meal with my wife. I treat it as a date night on the cruise and enjoy the ambiance.

But, I don't really appreciate the fact that Celebrity is removing the more casual for pay options in favor of a la carte. For example, on the Equinox or the Solstice, since they do not have the Porch, the only alternatives to the no charge options at lunch are the Sushi on five and Gastro Pub; both a la carte options. What's next will the Porch also go to a la carte pricing?

I just wish Celebrity was not closing out options to meet the needs of each type of customer.

Edited by capecodmercury

SO5 is a la carte. There's a menu posted in a different thread; the pricing is extravagant.

I don't agree with the "it's all just more choices" cutback cheerleaders (I think I'm just sensitive to that because my first cruise was on NCL which is now officially the Nickel Collecting Line, and that forum is the paragon of that argument.)

You used to get sushi for free in the buffet. Now you don't. You have the 'choice' to pay more money for what you used to get included in the fare. I don't view that as X being such gracious and wonderful hosts to magnanimously extend us the option to partake of sushi, I view it as them miserly demanding $10 for a California roll in a ship where meals are allegedly included in the fare.

Couldn't agree more. I happen to really enjoy the sushi in the buffet. It's nothing spectacular, but it's a nice thing to have in the afternoon. Now, it seems as though that will be ending, and they will be charging a premium for sushi that I can almost guarantee is also nothing spectacular.

Glad the pictures were posted. thank you

Nothing there to entice me...if anything " EW" although I realize that taste & freshness is what ultimately counts .

The sushi items in the buffet were basic & nicely presented...dh does not eat sushi and has fish allergies generally....we'd go one night each cruise when we wanted a night off from BLU and specialty venues

We were B on 5 lunch regulars but now B on 5 and porch are off our list,...hope offerings and service improve in Gastropub on ships that have it..may substitue that and the burger cafe outdoors,,,,, the MDR for lunch is not that great and the buffet too crowded..

No one starves on a cruise but sorry to see the menu changed at B on 5,,,...

If you find the standard rates very low' date=' you are lucky.

[i']I find that I am paying more and more for the same cruises each year. And I am getting less.[/i]

That's interesting. Our first cruise in 1999 was $2,300 pp for a nice outside cabin (before Concierge and long before Aquaclass). That was in the Caribbean sailing out of San Juan. Today, that same cruise in Aquaclass is $1,349 pp and a guaranteed suite is $2,299. As for paying for sushi, I can get "good" sushi at my local Kroger for practically nothing, and I enjoy it. I also enjoy the sushi at a Chinese Buffet. However, it is nothing like sushi at a good sushi restaurant. I have fun reading these posts as a non-drinker. I absolutely cannot imagine why anyone would pay good $ on alcohol when there is so much to drink for free! It's the same concept as Sushi on 5 or a specialty restaurant. Even with the drink package, you gave up another package worth good $ to get it. So, I understand why some, or even many, do not like the a-la-carte pricing, but think it through. Just because I don't drink doesn't mean that the drink package is a bad deal for everyone. I get it. I just don't understand why others who don't enjoy something anyway feel the need to complain. Just start sailing Carnival... Then you can start having something real to complain about!:D

I have fun reading these posts as a non-drinker. I absolutely cannot imagine why anyone would pay good $ on alcohol when there is so much to drink for free! It's the same concept as Sushi on 5 or a specialty restaurant. Even with the drink package, you gave up another package worth good $ to get it. So, I understand why some, or even many, do not like the a-la-carte pricing, but think it through. Just because I don't drink doesn't mean that the drink package is a bad deal for everyone. I get it. I just don't understand why others who don't enjoy something anyway feel the need to complain. Just start sailing Carnival... Then you can start having something real to complain about!:D

You're comparing apples to oranges. An alcohol package and Sushi on 5 are two different arguments here. We were always paying for alcohol on Celebrity, so having a pre-paid package is nice, because you don't have to worry about the cost, and you can drink as much as you want. I am confused on "So much to drink for free". Do you mean the water, lemonade and iced tea? That's 3 things. Soda isn't even free. With the Sushi on 5 restaurant, it's taking something that was once free in the buffet, and now charging a fee for it, with a la carte pricing. I will agree with you about Carnival though, lol.