Group cruises- what is the the good and bad of cruising while not a participant of that group?

fritolayNY

Ok I know there is a post listing groups cruises so we can avoid them but why? I was just looking for anyone's experience. I can see the disappointment if they close down the pool or a venue for a few hours, however wouldn't that leave other venues less congested?

Edited by fritolayNY

When we sailed in 2010 (I think....) there was a large group that took over one of the main dining rooms for ever meal (they needed a Kosher kitchen etc, so they had every meal there). Often large sections of seating for shows were reserved, large sections of outdoor seating was blocked off for them etc. Those were the only things we noticed.

It will depend on the size of the group. You cannot attend any of their functions of any type, they close off areas for them even if it's empty for a long time, they sometimes think the ship is theirs and party hearty as a group. If you choose to sail when a group is scheduled, be sure the theme is something you are comfortable with.

Great advise everyone! I have great pricing, and friends joining us so we will not be rebooking. I just want to inform my friends and my online group. If we know in advance, we will not be surprised and disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, we have been a couple by accident. One was over 800 home schooled kids and families...there were kids every where, uncontrolled. They reserved rows with reserved signs in the main theater, they had a dining room closed off, major chair hogs at the pool areas, did not pay attention to adults only pool or hot tubs. It was not fun.

With different groups it just depends but have had the pool closed for several hours to a full day, disco closed several nights, specialty restaurants unavailable, just to name a few things.