Panama Canal

CaLynn50

I was looking at the possible excursions I can take on my trip next year. I'm looking for some information on any of Princess's excursions. We stop at Ocho Rios, Aruba, Cartagena, Puntarenas, Acapulco and Cabo. I like to snorkel so if you had a favorite let me know. We are in Puntarenas for 12 hours and I see that most tours are very long, is this because nothing is near where the ship docks?

If you went on a Panama Canal cruise what excursions did you take and were they any good.

They're listing Cartagena still (again?)

I don't think anyone's gone there in 2-3 years.

There's lots of good info on excursions on the Ports of Call boards here at Cruise Critic

Here's what we (me, husband and 2 sons (6 and 8)) did on our 1 April Coral Princess patial Panama Canal trip. I know they're not the same ports but someone else may also be looking. Do recommend going to Ports of Call board.

Jamaica - booked with Phil Lafayette. Dunns River Falls , White River Tubing, lunch, local tour, Fern Gully, a few stops at small "craft" makers, a guy who plays with fire, etc. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $180 but this included admission to the falls (around $36) and tubing ($80) for the four of us.

Panama Canal - took the Rainforest Hike excursion. Was okay but would not recommend.

Costa Rica - Booked with Oscar Brown, definately a local guide. Very enjoyable. Turtoguero Canals, went to some guys house and saw baby monkey and sloths, went to another guys house who breeds exotic birds, banana plantation, cocoa plantation, went to the apprentice shop where they make bamboo furniture, quick stop at a beach (to rough for snorkeling), lunch at El Faro Restaurant overlooking Limon (fantastic!!), took us to a local shop for cigars (cubans - $4, and coffee - $2/lbs). $45/adult, $25/child.

Grand Cayman - Captain Marvins 1/2 day snorkel and Stingray City (tried to book with Sotos but they were booked).

Cozumel - rented a car at Budget. Headed for the National Park. Did some snorkeling and then headed for the beaches on the other side of the islands.

QE2 - 2000

Grand Princess - 2002

Coral Princess - 2004

If Cartagena is truly on your itinerary - DO NOT wander without a guide. Take a guided tour - or stay on the ship!!

We took a guided city tour that included La Popa - it was just enough to get a taste of the city and know that I never want to go back there. Too bad because it has beautiful areas and lots of interesting history. The people are very poor and the vendors are probably the most aggressive that I've encountered anywhere including Jamaica and Mexico.

We were in Cartagena in 2001...just after 9/11. Just off the ship were guides...different color shirts designated whether they were a tour guide or a taxi driver. We took a tour guide who took us everywhere and gave us a very good tour of old city. But, I do believe, that the vendors are more aggressive in St. Petersburg, Russia!

Panama Canal on the Galaxy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;11;25;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Cartegena is also listed as a stop on our cruise, thanks for the info, but what city would be substituted for Cartegena if any?

until we sail away....Panama Canal

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;4;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by twocats:

Cartegena is also listed as a stop on our cruise, thanks for the info, but what city would be substituted for Cartegena if any?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the September 26 transcanal crossing of the Coral Princess, Cartagena has been replaced with Huatulco, Mexico and a short (few-hour) stop at the port of Cristobal on the Panama crossing day. No Ocho Rios.

On the last cruise I was on in April 2004 West to East they let us off at Cristobal for 4 hours late in the afternoon. It's just a bunch of shopping stalls in a big building with some duty free shops beside them. Then the next port was Aruba we had all day there instead of a few hours. Been to Categena. Could care less if I ever go back.

• 2 weeks later...

We've did the East to West Canal transit on the Dawn a couple of weeks ago. Our stay in Aruba was extended due to the cancellation of Cartagena as a port of call. Huatulco was added but taken away a coupld of weeks before the cruise and replaces with Puerto Amador. We started in San Juan, stopping at St. Thomas (Godfrey's Tours), Dominica (Reyno's Tours), Barbados (Glory Tours), Aruba (Princess' Sea and See Tour), Puerto Amador (don't even bother!), Puntarenas (Princess' Eco-Jungle Tour), and ended the cruise in Acapulco. I understand that on the next leg of the cruise, from Acapulco to L.A., Cabo was dropped as a port. If you want any information on any of those ports/excursions I'd be happy to share!!

Sue

Dawn Princess - Panama Canal - April 2004

Trying for Island Princess - Alaska - August 2005

This Panama trip we did last November, and I was pleased with the ports, did snokeling in Aruba most of the day. Water was a bit choppy to see much, though. Jungle cruise tour in Costa Rica was really great. Went ashore to Panama City outskirts and walked in early evening coming back at nite on the tender. Alcapulco was great..........the city tour and could walk downtown just off the ship, very much in the city where we anchored on main drag of city. Have fun it was a terrific cruise. sailinsal

Hi

For those on coral princess - can you tell me if enjoyed this cruise - was the ship nice.

did they have entertaining bands in the evening. How was the food -

does anyone know where the patters for this ship are posted???

carol in connecticut

Would highly recommend the Carara/Villa Lapas tour in Costa Rica. The hike we did through the Carara Biological Reserve was amazing if you like seeing wildlife in its proper setting. Lots of toucan, macaws, monkeys, frogs, lizards and snakes! Our tour guide was superb.

We don't usually take Princess' tours, but this one was well worth the money.

Vicki.

Hello Calynn50,

My wife and I did an East to West Panama Canal Cruise on the Summit in May 2003. The snorkeling was ok on Aruba, we snorkeled at a sunken German Freighter (water was 60 feet deep there and a little choppy). There was one other snorkel spot in nearer the beach for less experienced snorkelers to try, nothing special. You are right about why the tours are so long at Punta Arenas. There is nothing near the town, which is not a town that you want to go off on on your own. Not much to see in it and it is quite poor. We did a Corobici River raft float trip and found it very enjoyable, lots of monkies and iguanas, but very hot and humid on the river. We went to a very nice hotel afterwards, with a small wildlife refuge, for lunch. The bus ride was about 1 to 1 1/2 hours each way. In Acapulco we went to the Princess Hotel ( a very nice property) and to the must see Cliff Divers. In Cabo we just did a boat tour of Land's End. We were going to snorkel there but thought the water was too cold for us (about 68 -69 degrees). All the tours were ship tours and Princess probably has the same or very similiar tours.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;12;27;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Celebrity Mercury 12/27/2004

To JEMS,

My husband and I (also 15 other people in group) are on the April 18th sailing from Ft. Lauderdale. We are from Calif. in our 50's (the rest are in there 60's). Looking forward to two weeks on the SUN. Are you also on this cruise?

To those that have responded to my questions about different tours to take, thank you. If there are any tours NOT to take, please let me know what they are and why.

Hi all,

We just did the Ft. Lauderdale - San Francisco 15-day repositioning cruise on the Coral Princess. Originally, our itinerary included Cartagena which was dropped about 3-4 months before sailing and replaced with Huatulco. When we boarded the ship we found out that Princess had added a short (4 hour) tender stop at Puerto Amador at the end of our day crossing the Panama Canal. We chose not to get off there but Princess did offer an evening tour of Panama City. Those who just tendered to shore found a building with some vendors and not much else.

In Costa Rice we were slated to dock at Puntarenas but a few days before we were notified that because of tidal conditions we would be docking instead at Puerto Caldera. Princess provided shuttles all day long between Puerto Caldera and the town of Puntareas. We did the Eco-River cruise that was the closest to the ship and didn't involve a 2-3 hour bus ride. It was quite enjoyable and a fairly easy trip given the heat and humidity. Several of our Cruise Critic friends made private arrangements with Puntarenas Tours and they had the time of their lives ziplining in Turubari park. Since there is not much to do in Puntarenas or Puerto Caldera my advice is to pre-book and excursion either through Princess or someone else like Puntarenas Tours.

Happy Sails.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;10;2;16;59;00&timezone=GMT-0800

10/2/04 Sapphire Princess

Meemeec, when you had the ship change ports was there enough notice to change tours? How does Princess make that change available to you if you had pre arranged tours.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;4;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hi Twocats,

They dropped Cartagena so early there were no issues with tours there and with adding Huatulco...same thing. Puerto Amador was added late so even then they managed a city tour or two.

Maureen

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;10;2;16;59;00&timezone=GMT-0800

10/2/04 Sapphire Princess

I did not see anyone mention the Coffee Plantation tour in Costa Rica. We did this tour and had a really great time. They have local actors that guide the tour, and it was both quite amusing and educational.

I do not know if you like to golf. We stayed at the Acapulco Princess, pre cruise, and the golf courses are...well words just cannot describe. I do not think Princess offers this, but if you golf and have the time, I highly recommend it.

Anyway, The Panama Canal cruise on Princess was and continues to be one of the best vacations that I have ever taken.

Enjoy,

Janet

To CaLynn50,

Yes, the 4/18/05 cruise is our trip. We are looking forward to the Florida to LA trip, as our kids (single daughter & married son) live in LA. We live in East Texas and try to make it to CA at any opportunity. We are in our 50's.

We sailed on a Sun Class ship (Ocean) in 2001 and really loved the minisuite size - two rooms, marble tub, walk-in closet, etc. This will be our fifth cruise - all Princess.

Looking forward to meeting you and your crew.

Hi JEMS,

I am Calynn's husband. We would like to know what category mini-suite you were in? We are booked in an AC mini-suite on the Baja deck. We've heard that the closet space is quite limited. Is this true? Thanks for any info you might be able to share.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;4;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Panama Canal Cruise

Socal404,

You are misinformed about the closet in the AC minisuites. We had a huge walkin closet with shelving. It was more than enough for the two of us, but if all 17 of y'all are using the same space, it is probably too small! icon_smile.gificon_rolleyes.gif

We are in B409. Again, look forward to meeing you all.

Hey JEMS,

Thanks for the info. You'll be our next door neighbor. We're in B-405, and 3 or our friends will be in B-403. I was probably more concerned about the closet space for 3 adults. We, too, are looking forward meeting you. We're from southern California, 30 miles north of Los Angeles.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;4;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Panama Canal Cruise

Hi, Socal404,

You should have plenty of room for three people. There are dresser drawers in the bedroom that are nice and large. The bathroom facilities are amazingly large, with the toilet/lavatory separated by a door from the whirlpool tub/shower area. The bedroom has a dressing table area which will allow the bathroom to be used while your wife is using that area.

Also, the double balcony is spacious for entertaining, etc.

Archived