How much better is Sunshine vs. Destiny ?

Heirloom

You know what they say about people's opinions!!

I wouldn't cancel or not consider a cruise based on what people on here say about the ship!

Been on the Destiny and loved it!

Been on the Sunshine and loved it!

The only time the Sunshine felt truly crowded was on a sunny day in the pool or Serenity area. But then again, on every ship I've been on it's been impossible to find a chair after 9 am.

We always found a table in the Lido or back near the Havana Bar.

Previous comments about the comedy club were spot-on. You need to line up at least a half hour early to be able to see the stage, if you get a seat at all. The very last performance that's less of an issue.

So funny because we were on sunshine in December and it was the LEAST crowded ship I've ever been on. Loved it,only waited in a short line for omelettes in the morning and at night for comedy. Maybe it depends on the time of year you go, so don't completely rule it out!!!

What part of December did you go? We are going Dec. 10 so hoping for less crowds! How was the weather in December in Port Canaveral?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'll be on the Sunshine on Friday. Can't wait and I don't pay attention to anyone's reviews. As long as I'm on a ship I'm happy. Some I like better than others but I just go with the flow. I don't let it spoil my vacation.

Run for the hills if someone answers bad reviews with " a cruise is what you make it". I guess that is partially true - but not always.

A cruise IS what YOU make it... period. The best cruise to 95% of the people on the ship can be the worst cruise of your life if something is - bothering you, loved one sick at home, lost your job, pick one -

You could be on the ship that is stuck with no motor, almost out of food, toilets backed up and for some reason - you just won the lottery back home, your ex was just put in jail for that theft that he/she put on you, again pick one - and you have a wonderful smile on your face and nothing matters to you, life is wonderful....

SO yes a cruise is what you make of it.

I hate that almost as much as "a bad day on a cruise is better than a good day at work". Such BS. If that was the case, I'd be hunting for a new job. A bad day on a cruise sucks, just like any other bad day.

I do cruise to get away from work, I own a business and work most days/evenings when I am in town. Getting out of town is my weekends and vacation! But I would agree that a bad day on a cruise would not equal a good day at work! Then again see above...

Did Princess give the passengers any refunds?

Yes I believe we got all of our money back plus a percentage off of our next Princess cruise, plus they booked us on flights home since the cruise ended early.

They took good care of us given the situation. I had no dissatisfaction with Princess whatsoever. Not their fault.

I would have still rather had been in work that week instead of floating around the ocean.:)

Bill

We have sailed on the Sunshine and really enjoyed it. I didnt think it was over crowded although yes, the comedy club is way too small! We really enjoyed the Serenity Deck and miss this on other ships.

If I based the cruises I select on the reviews I read, I probably would never go. That being said, I still love to read reviews, especially of cruises I was on. Its interesting to me to read how different opinions can be.

The minute someone tells me to go with an open mind, I get worried because that is said for a reason.

I have been on the sunshine. ONCE.

I didn't hate it, but it will never go down as my favorite. They cut down public spaces areas but increased the pax load. How could that be a good thing?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I am at point where I would take an old ship again, really old but safe..older than Fantasy class......lol...CABIN FEVER and all times ten this time in Montana...and getting out of here is a lot to balance agst taking less than a newer ship.

OP , this reply, IMHO, is realistic. How often can you go? How close to you are the ports...I would pick a more optimal ship based on your likes and needs. I think I might prefer Fantasy class over Sunshine based on my minimal needs...and having so much fun on a now "smaller" ship before. The new bells and whistles would be fun on sunshine if not your main cruise I think...due to crowds and crowd planning needed. people still have a grand time on her and seeing all the "new" and what they did. Balance it out.

Edited by sjn911

We loved the Sunshine. The only thing I didn't like was the odd layout but a lot of ships have odd layouts. We went at the end of August and it was at capacity. There were 1000 kids on board. Never found it to be overyly crowded. Actually the opposite. The shows weren't packed. Dining was fine. The only time we noticed a crowd was at the adult only comedy club.

We've been on the Sunshine twice now. The extra features (Guy's, ropes course, waterworks, Cucina, sushi, 220 sq ft cabins, etc.) far outweigh the small comedy club. Just make sure to get to the comedy club 15-30 min early to get a good seat.

This affects me as a passenger not at all.

For some seats yes, for seats with tables, no. Again, get there 15-30 min early.

We never felt it was crowded.

We've sailed on the Sunshine twice, and will sail on her for the 3rd time later this month, but you are NEVER going to believe this. We've gone to a number of comedy shows on the Sunshine, and yep, get in line about 15 mins before the show, get in with a seat of choice...now one time...holy moly, we actually waited 25 minutes in line to see a comedian who was highly recommended, even after a whole 25 minutes waiting we got a preferred seat.

But here is the UFB part...one time..we decided a little late to go to the comedy club, showed up, didn't wait in line at all, but...now be sure you are sitting down for this...we ended up taking seats to the SIDE OF THE STAGE, to where the performer was not always in sight during the show...was on a tv in front of us.....can you believe that?!?! So, here's what we did....ordered drinks, laughed at the performers jokes and stories, interacted with the folks around us, and by some miracle, had a good time. Can you even imagine?

Sure...we'd not choose to sit there, will take an entire 15-20 minutes out of our cruise day to wait inline for a show to get a better or prefered seat...we have actually met and interacted with more people that way that we stay in touch with than at dinner.....guess this could be considered a "cruise is what you make it" story....or not...but probably is/was for us.

We've sailed on the Sunshine twice, and will sail on her for the 3rd time later this month, but you are NEVER going to believe this. We've gone to a number of comedy shows on the Sunshine, and yep, get in line about 15 mins before the show, get in with a seat of choice...now one time...holy moly, we actually waited 25 minutes in line to see a comedian who was highly recommended, even after a whole 25 minutes waiting we got a preferred seat.

But here is the UFB part...one time..we decided a little late to go to the comedy club, showed up, didn't wait in line at all, but...now be sure you are sitting down for this...we ended up taking seats to the SIDE OF THE STAGE, to where the performer was not always in sight during the show...was on a tv in front of us.....can you believe that?!?! So, here's what we did....ordered drinks, laughed at the performers jokes and stories, interacted with the folks around us, and by some miracle, had a good time. Can you even imagine?

Sure...we'd not choose to sit there, will take an entire 15-20 minutes out of our cruise day to wait inline for a show to get a better or prefered seat...we have actually met and interacted with more people that way that we stay in touch with than at dinner.....guess this could be considered a "cruise is what you make it" story....or not...but probably is/was for us.

You sure you weren't the headliner???? lol - good point of view and would be mine I think... although I go on cruises for completely different reasons. Did see a comedy show on one of our cruises, it was OK - a bit vulgar for me but whatever.

Edited by bobsfamily

I never sailed Destiny, and will never sail Sunshine. While the idea of the upgrades was good, there is some simple undeniable math: they took an already crowded ship, added ~400 passengers and reduced public space. That can't work well.

Carnival saved hundreds of millions of dollars by updating Destiny rather than buying a new ship, yet they have decided not to do a similar upgrade to Victory or Triumph. There is a reason for that.

Edited by gtalum

Good to see yet another post from someone criticizing this ship having not been on, which is perfectly reasonable. Yes, Carnival did save millions renovation the Destiny/Sunshine rather than another new build. However the decision not to do the same to the other ships came before the Sunshine even left dry dock, well before the experts that criticized the ship well before it came out of dry dock, and then continued criticism by other experts who haven't sailed on the ship, but "heard things"....but it's all good....keeps the ship clearer for those of us that actually enjoy sailing on the Sunshine.

We have sailed on both the Destiny and the Sunshine. The specialty restaurants, Steakhouse, Cucina del Capitano, and Ji Ji's Asian, are a great addition. Be sure to stop in the Havana Bar at least once for breakfast and lunch to enjoy their complimentary Cuban specialties. The changeover also added the Red Frog Pub and the Alchemy Bar, which have proved popular on other ships.

As previously mentioned, the Comedy Club gets crowded, but we had no problem sitting on the side and viewing the comedian on TV. In that location we were certain not to be picked on.

Part of the changeover was to convert the theater to the Liquid Lounge. This eliminated a lot of main floor seating. They eliminated live bands and changed to the Playlist productions, same as they have done on several other ships. I believe that the Sunshine is the only ship to have the Studio VIP show. If you want to be a VIP and be part of the show, you will be invited to a special party with the cast serving free mimosa's the next day.

One thing we didn't like was lack of refrigerators in the staterooms, but the Destiny also lacked these.

The décor of the ship was changed to more of a Caribbean theme, like the Breeze.

We were fortunate to have Jaime Dee as our CD on the Sunshine. She is fantastic and more than made up for any of the shortcomings of the ship. She left the Sunshine a couple of months ago and now is sailing on the Spirit down under. We had Noonan as CD on the Destiny and we enjoyed him as well. His little brother was the Comedy Club manager on the Sunshine.