My spring break cruise on the Star

Heather1972

Hi all -

I'm not going to do a long review with pictures of the Star, but since the older ships are not mentioned often on here, I'll put in my 2 cents.

I've only sailed on NCL the Epic & Getaway. Those are my favorite cruises I've been on. We did the spring break cruise last week. I think the ship had just under 2900 people on board.

I didn't experience super long lines at the buffet and bars. I know how to avoid them. If you see a line at the buffet, go to the back or outside... it's the SAME food. For example, the first afternoon on the ship, they had 2 lines set up for the grilled food & sides. People lined up at one. There was no line at the other. Shakes head.

Service wise, I encountered some of the friendliest staff on this ship. Our room steward was great. A couple of bartenders remembered what I wanted to drink. :eek: I liked Mark the cruise director.

I was impressed by the food available on the buffet. I ate there the most to be honest. The HUGE peeled boiled shrimp was a bonus in my book. The chocolate crepes were my favorite thing.

We only encountered service issues in O'Sheehans. I gave them one last chance on the last day of the cruise. I loved the fish and chips. Yum! (Buffalo wings - YUCK!)

On the flip side, my 11 year old son complained about being bored. However, then he wanted to stay out really late to play basketball. Make up your mind! Since the rule for the kids' club is now they must stay in for 2 hours if they sign themselves in, he didn't really utilize it. He didn't want to get trapped in there if he didn't like something. IMO, if NCL would change this rule, they would have less kids running around the ship.

I had no problems getting a chair/table by the pool. I wasn't a fan of no loungers in the shade on the pool deck. So that was a minus to me. There are nice loungers outside on deck 7. Don't miss these.

If anyone has any questions, I'll answer them the best I can!

Awesome review. I am super excited. We have been on many of the NCL ships and this one is the sister ship to the Gem so I am sure it will be easy to get the lay of the land once we get on board. Was the peel and eat shrimp at the buffet?

Awesome review. I am super excited. We have been on many of the NCL ships and this one is the sister ship to the Gem so I am sure it will be easy to get the lay of the land once we get on board. Was the peel and eat shrimp at the buffet?

The Star is a sister ship of the Dawn. The Gem is Jewel Class like the Pearl, Jewel, and Jade.

The peel and eat shrimp sound wonderful. Did you find the common areas very cold on the ship?

I thought the theater was freezing when I first got there, but once it filled up it wasn't too bad. I was definitely very glad to have long pants and long sleeves in there though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk