Pub Crawl on Navigator

Hi All: I am organizing a pub crawl on the Navigator of the Seas. I have never done anything like this before and any suggestions would be appreciated. There are quite a few people signed up for it already. Thanks for your help. I want to make this a fun time for all..

I was hoping someone with more experience with Pub Crawls would reply to your question, but I'll share what we've experienced. We participated in a Pub Crawl on a TA a few years ago. Each person participating put $5 in the pot. The organizer had a list of 5 or 6 or maybe 7 bars on the ship and put out a deck of cards in each bar. We visited each bar, stayed about 10-15 min. or long enough for the folks who wanted a drink to get one, each of us took a card, then we moved on. At the last bar, the person with the best 5 card poker hand won the pot.

I'm sure there are other ways to organize it, but to the best of my memory (:o ...it's been awhile...) that's how it worked when we did it. Coincidentally, we were on Navigator!

Judy

I forgot to mention...a couple of the bars had some trail mix or some kind of munchie available to us. I think the organizer had visited the bars the previous day and tipped them off that we'd be coming and gave them an approximate time. Our group was about 25-30 people.

Seems like we had 6 or maybe 7 bars, because I remember we had more than 5 cards and chose what to discard at the end when we presented our best poker hand. My cards pretty much sucked:eek:, though I ended up with an odd pair in that both of my fours were four of hearts! That can happen since there are several decks of cards. (I did not win with a pair of fours! The winner had a full house.)

Participants buy their own drinks using their Sea Pass. It's not required to buy a drink at every bar. I think I carried one drink the whole time when we did it, and Buz had 2 or maybe 3 drinks. We had a few non drinkers participating just for the Poker Run aspect of the crawl.

Judy

I didn't review the other post, but if you do a poker hand, I'd recommend keeping track of the cards as they are picked. On one crawl, a group that was slightly intoxicated toward the end, decided it would be fine to pool their cards to make the best hands. They won the prizes and it got a little unpleasant.

I was involved in a couple of "bar golf" events in my younger years. The idea was that you found 3 friends and together formed a foursome that would participate, visiting 9 bars (9 "holes"). Each bar required you to drink something that was a "par". It might have been a pitcher of beer to drink between the 4 of you, or possibly 4 shots, or 4 mixed drinks. If your foursome couldn't drink what you were supposed to, you got a bogie. If you drank more than you were supposed to, you got a birdie.

We spent 30-45 minutes at each bar and then got on a bus to take us to the next bar. Things got interesting about 4 bars into the event when the organizers started announcing new rules. At one point, your team could reduce their score by one if a team member brought onto the bus an undergarment from a member of the opposite sex. It was very interesting watching my wife trying to talk strange guys into giving her one of their socks!

That particular version of bar golf required a lot of drinking. You could adjust accordingly. In the end, no one knew or cared what their score was anymore. We finished at a dance bar where we danced off some of the alcohol. Might be an option for you as well.

We were just on Navigator and participated in a pub crawl. You might want to locate the cruise compass for the trip. When we were doing our crawl the Schooner Bar had trivia going on.

JoeRum

thanks for the great response. It will really help me out.

I created those diagrams in the linked roll call and just sailed the Navigator in March where we did a pub crawl too.

Couple things:

1) Royal Caribbean can not help/promote/be involved in a pub crawl in any way due to liability reasons. I tracked down and spoke with the bar manager in an effort to have a special/smaller drink made at each of our planned stops - one, for a lower cost for those without a drink package, and two, so we would all be able to still walk by the end. :D He was sympathetic to my plea, but gave a bunch of good reasons why he could not help/participate. He did ask for the timing of the event and which bars we were going to stop at, and stated he would try to have each location fully staffed to support a larger group rolling in all at once. Super nice guy and I appreciated his time.

2) As Joe stated above (who was one of my pub crawl partners!!!), our starting location at the Schooner Bar was a nightmare. The day we ran the crawl, and the time I chose to start, coincided with a port shopping information/giveaway session and transitioned right into music trivia event. Made that a super busy and cluster of a location to start in.

3) Be realistic about how much time you are going to allow for the crawl. You can spend a LONG time at each location if everyone on the crawl orders their own cocktail/beverage. All of the folks on our crawl had My Time Dining and/or reservations at specialty dining later in the evening, so it worked out. Early dining folks would have had to bail on the crawl or would have missed dinner. My last version of the crawl "map" had six bar stops. We ended up skipping the Sky Bar stop due to the length of time everything took up to that point.

4) We did not do a poker run/hand, or any bingo/trivia type games on our crawl. It would be fun, but would certainly lengthen the amount of time the crawl will take. We just hung out, talked, and got to know the group. The last stop in the Viking Crown/Cosmopolitan Club/whatever they call it now, was probably the best. Wasn't packed, could grab some comfy seats, and one member of our crawl that had access, dipped into the Diamond Lounge and brought us out some finger food to munch on. That certainly helped absorb/negate some of the alcohol! :eek:

Anyway, hope you have a great time! It really was a blast with the group we had on the last sailing.

Dan.

Edited by Dan-P

Our last cruise, we had so many signed up, I think they only visited two bar on the Serenade ending up at the Schooner Bar. fortunately, nothing was going on so we all could hang around. I don't know how many signed up for the Poker run. Depending on your size, you can visit 1 or more bars how ever you set it up. those who ahve run them have given excellent tips.