Seattle Advice Needed

Wanna_Cruize

Seattle Advice Needed.

We're taking Carnival Legend out of Seattle to Alaska. Gong to fly into Seattle on debarkation day and go straight to the port, but going to stay in Seattle for a few days afterwards, both to sight-see and see some family. Right now, here's our after-cruise plans:

Tuesday - Arrival back in Seattle - plan to take Victoria Clipper at 3:15pm to Victoria and stay with family there. I believe we can drop our bags off at Victoria Clipper prior to our departure, so we plan to get off the boat early and do that. Need something to do between 9-10am and 2-2:30pm

Thursday - Taking the 11:30 ferry from Victoria back to Seattle, so arrive about 2:15. We've booked at Hotel Five, so will take a taxi there and drop luggage. Looking for something fun to do in the evening.

Friday - Our flight departs Seattle about 4pm. Currently we plan to take the light rail back to the airport about 2-2:30?

Here's some of the things we were thinking we'd like to do/see in Seattle:

Pike Place Market

Underground Tour

Pioneer Square?

We lived in Bremerton decades ago, and already have seen Space Needle, etc. so not sure we need to go to that area. Any MUST SEE items that you want to suggest? Also, is there an optimum way to slot some of these areas into our itinerary so far?

Have done the underground tour and I really enjoyed it. Also have done pike place several times- there's a great chowder place in there that does really good chowder samplers. Would also recommend the space needle and the glass gardens next door to the space museum. It's a great city. Love Seattle?

a few things come to mind. The Victoria Clipper is right on the Seattle waterfront so there is a ton of restaraunts and shops right in that area. Seattle Aquarium is there, as well as the Giant Wheel. Your also directly below the Pike place Market so its easy to take a series of elevators up to the market. Of course it will jam packed on a cruise day but its doable.

You have to know that the Hotel 5 is quite a bit north of the main part of downtown. its very close to the Space Needle area and very walkable to there with lots to do. You can walk into downtown but its maybe 6 - 8 blocks level.

Most RT cruises from Seattle stop in Victoria on the last night. Why don't you just disembark there? No point in going all the way to Seattle only to turn around and return to Victoria.

People do it all the time .... be sure to advise the crew of your plans.

It will give you an extra day in Victoria and saves you the cost of the Clipper tickets.

Things to do ... the Chihuly exhibit at the Seattle Center is spectacular. Museum of Flight? Baseball game?

Check out the town web site for ideas. http://www.visitseattle.org/

If your flight departs SeaTac at 4pm you need AT the airport no later than 2pm. SeaTac is VERY busy, especially in the summer and esp on cruise days. It;s a 40 minute ride by rail from downtown plus a 10 minute walk from the light rail platform to the terminal so you need to catch the train at 1/1:15pm.

Edited by mapleleaves

Most RT cruises from Seattle stop in Victoria on the last night. Why don't you just disembark there? No point in going all the way to Seattle only to turn around and return to Victoria.

It will give you an extra day in Victoria and saves you the cost of the Clipper tickets.

Exactly. You'll need to set this up with Carnival but it's done all the time. Use the money you saved on the Clipper to pay for a taxi to SEA rather than the light rail.

You know, I wondered about that, but thought I had read that it wasn't allowed. I guess I can call Carnival now and ask about it? or is it something you can only set up once you are onboard?

You know, I wondered about that, but thought I had read that it wasn't allowed. I guess I can call Carnival now and ask about it? or is it something you can only set up once you are onboard?

Do call and check right now - cruiseline has to arrange for full CBSA check, rather than the more cursory one normally done. Depending how many people want to do it they may refuse you, and just walking away causes all sorts of problems with both Canadian and US authorities since the passenger list shows you getting off in Seattle...

I think people assume it can't be done due to PVSA regulations.

However, you can get off the ship in Victoria, just like THEY can leave YOU behind if you're late !!

I know on HAL ships, there's never a trip to Victoria that someone doesn't choose to disembark. 99% of the pax tell the crew of their early departure but some just take their luggage and go.

Edited by mapleleaves

I think people assume it can't be done due to PVSA regulations.

In a nutshell, US PVSA regulations prevent you from getting TRANSPORT services from one US port to another US port on one continuous cruise, unless you touch a distant foreign port. Seattle RT visits other ports but returns you to the same starting point. Vancouver-Anchorage (or various substitutes in the region) has an endpoint that's non-US. LA/SF RT to Hawaii visits other ports but returns you to the same starting point. Etc. Switching ships midway, or taking 24 hours off the ship, etc. all resets the counter to zero.

Does anyone know of any coupons or discounts available for the clipper from Seattle to Victoria? There are round trip deals originating in Victoria, that are cheaper than one way - wonder what happens if you don't show up for the first leg of the trip - does that void the return portion from seattle? I wonder if there are AAA rates or coupon book deals? Thanks!