NCL Jade questions

sue54

We are on NCL Jade from 2nd May to 21st May and getting quite excited now. We have cruised many times, but never on NCL and so I have a few questions that you may be able to help with.

As a true Brit :-) I love my tea, but usually drink decaf tea. Does anyone know if they have decaf tea in the buffet and what make they usually use please? Also, does the coffee maker in the cabins make a reasonable cup of tea for my morning wake up drink?

Also, as we are on ship for almost 3 weeks, laundry is a concern. Do they do a bulk item package at all, or is it all per item?

We, like many people have the UBP as an offer. I am sure I read somewhere about an 18% tax on this but am not sure if this is just included or if we have to pay 18% on any drinks we have. Does this package include cocktails or are they above the price range?

We are sailing from Barcelona and wondered if they do any deck parties or bbq's. We sailed on Holland America once and they seemed to have some sort of food event on deck most days which was lovely.

Any tips gratefully accepted.

Thanks all.

Sue

I can't answer all your questions, but my first NCL cruise was on the Jade, and I really enjoyed her. The staff was great!

I don't think UK bookings pay the 18% gratuity on the UBP. Something to do with consumer laws in the UK. I'm sure someone will come along with the correct information.

There will be a laundry special--usually about $20-- mid-way through where you can fill a bag with as much as you can get into it. Rolling your clothes will help you to fit as much as possible in the bag.

Enjoy!

As a true Brit :-) I love my tea, but usually drink decaf tea. Does anyone know if they have decaf tea in the buffet and what make they usually use please? Also, does the coffee maker in the cabins make a reasonable cup of tea for my morning wake up drink?

I just got off of Jade, and they do have decaf tea. I believe it's Twinings teabags that they have in the buffet. They have several different selections.

Also, as we are on ship for almost 3 weeks, laundry is a concern. Do they do a bulk item package at all, or is it all per item?

Once weekly, there is a "stuff this bag with as much as can fit" special for $19.95. Our week, I managed to fit 67 items in the bag. Granted, 2 of us were very small (kids).

We, like many people have the UBP as an offer. I am sure I read somewhere about an 18% tax on this but am not sure if this is just included or if we have to pay 18% on any drinks we have. Does this package include cocktails or are they above the price range?

If you booked through the UK site, you do not have to pay this. If you booked through the US site, it was included as part of what you paid for the cruise (but a separate line item). If you purchase any drinks that are not included (specialty coffee, bottled water, buckets of beer, bottles of wine and certain premium liquor brands), they are...not included. If you purchase a drink that exceeds $15 (not sure how much that is in euros), you get a $15 discount on the drink and pay the remainder.

We are sailing from Barcelona and wondered if they do any deck parties or bbq's. We sailed on Holland America once and they seemed to have some sort of food event on deck most days which was lovely.

They should.

Thanks all.

Sue

Have entirely too much fun! And relax. If you like going to a spa, get a spa pass to the thermal suite, it's really nice.

We, like many people have the UBP as an offer. I am sure I read somewhere about an 18% tax on this...

You have mixed up gratuities/service charge and possible taxes. Nobody who has UBP when boarding is charged the 18% service charges onboard (even people who need to pay those are charged them in advance) but if your itinerary has ports that force the company to charge sales tax/VAT/etc, those are charged from you based on your actual purchases.

Sue

Since you are in effect doing 3 different cruises back-to-back, you will get the "bulk" offer (fill a bag of laundry for $20) at least once on each leg of your cruise, so no need to worry.

Thank-you all for the replies. All very helpful and such quick replies.

I take it we are not supposed to take kettles for use in our cabins. I never quite understand that rule as many lines supply kettles on European sailings and I assume all ships are created with equal electrical safety. Therefore, why is it safe on one line, but supposedly not on another?

Still very excited to try a new cruise line and am just compiling my packing list. It is the first time we have done completely freestyle cruising. Do many people dress up in the evenings or is it all quite relaxed?

Sue

The all you can fit laundry bag is a very thin paper. If you place a pillow case in the bag and then fill bag you'll be able to stuff a lot more in the bag. Don't forget to itemize as you are filling the bag. Otherwise it will come back unprocessed. Offer will be about midway through each segment and was so worth it to have clothes returned clean, folded in a wicker basket.

Sail away parties on pool deck with bbq weather dependent. If weather turns you can slip into forward observation bar on 13. Great spot for Venice sail away and comfy chairs. Most of your alcohol beverages and all fountain soda covered. If in doubt just ask bartender. Drinks in souviner glasses not covered but you can order same thing in a non souviner glass.

Have a wonderful cruise and report back. How lucky three segments! We did two last year and will do two in September. I was surprised how quickly it went and in no time we were on our last night. I could have easily stayed aboard for another few weeks with the busy med itinerary.

Thank-you all for the replies. All very helpful and such quick replies.

I take it we are not supposed to take kettles for use in our cabins. I never quite understand that rule as many lines supply kettles on European sailings and I assume all ships are created with equal electrical safety. Therefore, why is it safe on one line, but supposedly not on another?

Still very excited to try a new cruise line and am just compiling my packing list. It is the first time we have done completely freestyle cruising. Do many people dress up in the evenings or is it all quite relaxed?

Sue

It truly is dress up or not. No shorts in Le bistro or main dining room. Even on Norwegian night out you will see suits, fancy dress, a few in tuxes, jeans, sundress ... With the majority just in smart casual. Very relaxed ship that you can make into a fancy experience or just kick about clothes.

The all you can fit laundry bag is a very thin paper. If you place a pillow case in the bag and then fill bag you'll be able to stuff a lot more in the bag. Don't forget to itemize as you are filling the bag. Otherwise it will come back unprocessed. Offer will be about midway through each segment and was so worth it to have clothes returned clean, folded in a wicker basket.

That is a great tip, and something that I have never thought of. Thank-you!

Forgot: blue lagoon on deck 8, if it's more convenient also had tea. Our room was on deck 8 and we used blue lagoon often for morning coffee and late night snacks. They are open 24/7. Closed debarkation breakfast.

The atrium bar on deck 7 seemed very busy upon embarkation. Might be easier to grab a drink and seat pool deck or one of the other many bars. main dining room served lunch on embarkation. For breakfast and lunch in garden cafe use la cuchina for overflow seating. Less crowded.

The outdoor seating area aft of garden cafe is also a great place. There's a bar, usually food such as cheese, olives... Make up a snack plate and sit back there some afternoons after a port day. Typically not many people back there.

Deck 7 has full walk around with some lounge chairs too.

We are on NCL Jade from 2nd May to 21st May and getting quite excited now. We have cruised many times, but never on NCL and so I have a few questions that you may be able to help with.

Thanks all.

Sue

Hi,

I was able to make tea in the room with the coffee maker, there was a chamomile, lemon and a black tea.

Enjoy!

Hi,

I was able to make tea in the room with the coffee maker, there was a chamomile, lemon and a black tea.

Enjoy!

Not all rooms have a coffee maker. Only balcony and higher categories do.

Not all rooms have a coffee maker. Only balcony and higher categories do.

We have a balcony, so hopefully will have a coffee maker! One day closer to embarkation.......:-)

Hi Sue

We are on-board form the 14th for a week so may see you in a bar somewhere.

We have been on the Jade 3 times before and she is a great ship. Quirky in its décor, but great in all aspects.

We are also from the UK and can confirm we have had no additional uplifts as we have had UBP and SDP on all occasions and they have a great range of Teas and Coffees on board.

Also, make sure you see the sail in and sail out of Venice as it is breath taking.

Mike and Amanda

Hi sue54,

Sorry can't answer your questions but we too will be sailing on the Jade

May 2 to 21. We too are getting excited. We are a retired Canadian couple

travelling to Europe for the first time. Are you interested in meeting for a cup

of tea ?

Have entirely too much fun! And relax. If you like going to a spa, get a spa pass to the thermal suite, it's really nice.

I was just looking to see if the thermal spa suite pass was worth the cost! Can you expand a little? I am concerned that they'll over sell and we won't get out of if what we pay.

I was just looking to see if the thermal spa suite pass was worth the cost! Can you expand a little? I am concerned that they'll over sell and we won't get out of if what we pay.

I would call or login to your NCL and see if they offer passes. There's a discount if purchased in advance. Last year they were selling them for $199/two week and $129/one week on board upon embarkation. For med we found the spa was not very crowded and not as popular as Alaska. They offered spa pass discount day two of sailing each week @$99/week. We tried to take advantage but besides sea days we had a hard time fitting spa time in.

Shared coed area is thermal tile loungers facing front of ship and a thermal pool which is basically a hot tub size with bubbles. Men's and women's separate area includes hot tub with jets, padded chairs, sauna, steam room, I think cold plunge pool, showers and lockers.

If you're not into laying by pool it's a nice relaxing place to be.

If you find out cost for your sailing advance purchase please report. I'd like to know what discount is for longer sailing advance purchase.

Sue

The difference is that the ones provided by the lines are inspected routinely by the engineering staff for proper operation and safety, and some lines do not wish to invest their crews' limited time doing this. Your kettle from home may well be in pristine condition, but the line has no knowledge to this effect.

Littlelulu explained what you'll find there. When I was on the Jade (Adriatic cruise), I visited the spa every evening. It was never busy. Mostly, I used the hot tub in the women's area and there were never more than four people in it and most often it was just me or there was one other person. I found it well worth the price since I could soak my aching muscles after an active day and be refreshed for the next day. :D

• 1 month later...

hi everyone I am new to this site and a first time cruiser and would be

Grateful for any help with my query

I will be going on the jade on the 18th of June and returning to Venice on the 25th

My return flight to the uk is 11.30am, does anyone know what time I am allowed to get off the ship if it docks at 8am,also I want to pre book a taxi to take us to the airport, what time would I be best booking it for? Can anyone recommend any taxi company's who I can pre book with.

Thanks in advance 😄😄😄

hi everyone I am new to this site and a first time cruiser and would be

Grateful for any help with my query

I will be going on the jade on the 18th of June and returning to Venice on the 25th

My return flight to the uk is 11.30am, does anyone know what time I am allowed to get off the ship if it docks at 8am,also I want to pre book a taxi to take us to the airport, what time would I be best booking it for? Can anyone recommend any taxi company's who I can pre book with.

Thanks in advance

Every review I have read seems to report it is very smooth getting off the ship. While I would not want a flight time before 11:30, I think your plan is sound- the ship will probably be docked before 7:00 and the only real trick for you is getting your luggage collected. As for a "pre arranged" ride, my gut tells me that a line of cabs will be waiting for you getting off the ship, hoping they can round trip multiple times. I would think you can google plenty of options but you will pay more I assume and might even be harder to coordinate than just jumping in a taxi.

Getting off the ship is easy. If I remember correctly you get the debarkation color time tags for bags a couple days prior near guest services. The earlier times go first so keep an eye out in your daily newsletter. Then walk off, grab bags and exit building. There is no mad rush and lines because many are staying aboard for following week.

Regarding taxi. Definitely best to pre book. There's not many around and there's a line of people waiting to call one. If pre booked someone should be there holding a sign with your name. I booked a guy I found on trip advisor. It was around 45 euro for a van to airport. I would take a look at the ports of call board for suggestions on how to pre book a taxi.

The ship cleared customs at 8am both weeks we were aboard. I think about 25 minutes ride to airport. So figure claiming bags and finding driver about half hour should put you at airport around 9am.

Edited by littlelulu01

We get on the Jade as you get off. I pre-booked a taxi to the airport with a company with this e-mail address - they were listed as being reliable here and on another online travel site.

info@cpvenezia.it

We always do self walk-off and carry our own bags off - it certainly is faster than finding your bags. I'm hoping it's available in Venice. Have fun!!

We get on the Jade as you get off. I pre-booked a taxi to the airport with a company with this e-mail address - they were listed as being reliable here and on another online travel site.

info@cpvenezia.it

We always do self walk-off and carry our own bags off - it certainly is faster than finding your bags. I'm hoping it's available in Venice. Have fun!!

That e-mail address should have been: ekiprent@tiscali.it

The other was our hotel. :confused: