First time with Princess - What to expect

Bosyn

I haven't read any of the other responses so here is mine:

Do not get your expectations up too high. Our first Princess cruise was on the Diamond Princess. I was expecting lots of "class", good food, good entertainment, and just all around what it appears like in the brochures we looked through. It was everything but that! When we boarded and got settled in, we were shocked at how many wheelchairs, walkers and disabled people there were. They rolled the carpets up at 8:00 pm and the ship was practically deserted. DH and I thought we were on the geriatric cruise. We went out to the pool and hot tub area and that was a different story. It was an LGBT crowd that took over the pool, bars and hot tubs! Stuff was going on out there that made me cringe. Two different worlds on one ship. We endured it for 7 days and it took us a very long time to give Princess a second chance as we had sailed on Carnival mostly.

Don't get your expectations up too high. We haven't encountered another cruise like we did on the Diamond. Just go with the flow, roll with it, and ignore anything you think is out of whack. It's not like Carnival where there's more energy. Princess is pretty much laid back, not many brats running around, and get out of the way of motorized carts. They'll either honk at you or run you over - either way they do not care.

A seasoned cruiser on Princess....

Elliair

Yet that list of cruises includes repeats with Princess....???

That was one snotty damned answer about wheelchairs running you over. My wife is in a wheelchair and people will crowd ahead of her on elevators and in lines and you are probably one of them so that's why they honk and heel you. I have not encountered any majority of wheelchair maniacs aboard ship. They are very polite and patient. So what if they are over 50 and don't stay drunk all the time. Beside, if you are going on a cruise to party all night, stay home, no one wants to see you drunk and falling down.

Thanks Treven, I lived in Tracy and know what you're saying! I think In N Out is better.

So true about people jumping in front of wheelchairs.

I haven't read any of the other responses so here is mine:

Do not get your expectations up too high. Our first Princess cruise was on the Diamond Princess. I was expecting lots of "class", good food, good entertainment, and just all around what it appears like in the brochures we looked through. It was everything but that! When we boarded and got settled in, we were shocked at how many wheelchairs, walkers and disabled people there were. They rolled the carpets up at 8:00 pm and the ship was practically deserted. DH and I thought we were on the geriatric cruise. We went out to the pool and hot tub area and that was a different story. It was an LGBT crowd that took over the pool, bars and hot tubs! Stuff was going on out there that made me cringe. Two different worlds on one ship. We endured it for 7 days and it took us a very long time to give Princess a second chance as we had sailed on Carnival mostly.

Don't get your expectations up too high. We haven't encountered another cruise like we did on the Diamond. Just go with the flow, roll with it, and ignore anything you think is out of whack. It's not like Carnival where there's more energy. Princess is pretty much laid back, not many brats running around, and get out of the way of motorized carts. They'll either honk at you or run you over - either way they do not care.

A seasoned cruiser on Princess....

Elliair

For what its worth your lgbt comment would make us cringe as well,and we are lgbt.

Never seen the wheelchair thing,seen lots of them,never had a problem,but have seen them have problems.

For what its worth your lgbt comment would make us cringe as well,and we are lgbt.

Never seen the wheelchair thing,seen lots of them,never had a problem,but have seen them have problems.

Well I'm not lgbt, but the COMMENT made me cringe, would it have made them cringe if it was a bloke and a Sheila.

Well I'm not lgbt, but the COMMENT made me cringe, would it have made them cringe if it was a bloke and a Sheila.

im presuming you are agreeing with me,bloke and shelia,nah prob not.We hold hands or give each other a kiss in morning or as a greeting.

I can only presume and picture in my mind what he felt was cringe worthy.

Our view is very conservative,as to how we act in public.What we dislike so much is the drunken fat bellied bogans who leach around the pool area,making derisive comments, trying to proclaim their manliness to all and sundry.The problem is they just cant take no for an answer and then can and will turn abusive and threatening.Then its time for the front desk,security,and hopefully they keep it up and lo and behold,its bye-bye Dickhead.And that is why you wouldn't catch us dead on a p and o bogan central piss-up cruise.And before i get flamed,flambeed,and torched,to all the boys out there who can hold a conversation and have fun,we love you,and there have been many who look out and look after us.:cool:

im presuming you are agreeing with me,bloke and shelia,nah prob not.We hold hands or give each other a kiss in morning or as a greeting.

Our view is very conservative,as to how we act in public.What we dislike so much is the drunken fat bellied bogans who leach around the pool area,making derisive comments, trying to proclaim their manliness to all and sundry.The problem is they just cant take no for an answer and then can and will turn abusive and threatening.Then its time for the front desk,security,and hopefully they keep it up and lo and behold,its bye-bye Dickhead.And that is why you wouldn't catch us dead on a p and o bogan central piss-up cruise.And before i get flamed,flambeed,and torched,to all the boys out there who can hold a conversation and have fun,we love you,and there have been many who look out and look after us.:cool:

My point was, I wondered if what the other poster found cringe worthy, would still have been cringe worthy if it was a "straight" couple rather than a lgbt couple? If not its just hypocrisy. I've seen plenty of couple, of all sexual orientations that could do with getting a room, as my kids have been known to tell me and Mrs Gut.

And as long as you are respectful I am likely to be one of the blokes looking out after you, or any lady for that matter. Just the way I was raised.

Edited by GUT2407

My point was, I wondered if what the other poster found cringe worthy, would still have been cringe worthy if it was a "straight" couple rather than a lgbt couple? If not its just hypocrisy. I've seen plenty of couple, of all sexual orientations that could do with getting a room, as my kids have been known to tell me and Mrs Gut.

And as long as you are respectful I am likely to be one of the blokes looking out after you, or any lady for that matter. Just the way I was raised.

And after reading your many comments on here,i now know why i respected you from the start.Like i said i can only imagine,what he found cringe-worthy and your views are commendable,i cant quite explain it properly,i think he mentioned a group,and well things get outta hand,i can only compare to say like the spring breakers in the states(no experience,only what i have read),now i wouldnt like that either.I cant explain it properly,but doffs my hat to you kind sir.There are certainly gentleman,(read real-men)left in this world.

:)

Please don't feel those bogans have singled you out. They do this as well to any female that is unattached. Love your comment about front desk never thought about this. I just tell them, when I have had enough of them to go and procreate. By the way on one cruise I was supposed to be meeting a group of single travellers at one of the bars. Got chatting to members of group who were there, lovely fascinating, fun people. Realised eventually I was at wrong place and had joined the Lbgt group. They welcomed me and showed no bias, why can't the opposite happen? Continued to meet up with members of this group for afternoon drinks for rest of cruise.

Please don't feel those bogans have singled you out. They do this as well to any female that is unattached. Love your comment about front desk never thought about this. I just tell them, when I have had enough of them to go and procreate. By the way on one cruise I was supposed to be meeting a group of single travellers at one of the bars. Got chatting to members of group who were there, lovely fascinating, fun people. Realised eventually I was at wrong place and had joined the Lbgt group. They welcomed me and showed no bias, why can't the opposite happen? Continued to meet up with members of this group for afternoon drinks for rest of cruise.

Oh we understand that,we talked to many females,who experienced the same thing.No sorry not many about six.Unattached makes no difference to these knuckle dragging neanderthals.I would love to post the whole incident but wont here,i will leave that for the lgbt forumn. But just to let anyone know,male,female,disabled,elderly,anyone,if you have a problem,quietly go to guest services,quietly explain what has happened and calmly say that this is unacceptable.I could not believe how quickly they moved and how they followed things up for days afterwards.Thank-you Mario and security team Dawn Princess.LGBT showing no bias,of course,but the same happens the other way.The knuckle draggers dont even realize they are on cctv.

@ things. Why do Gays always have to tell everyone their sexual orientation, like I cared anyway and there are as many Cougars as there are Knuckle draggers. Stop with the BS and get back to the Cruise Forums.

I actually haven't really seen many posts about gays telling everyone their sexual orientationI think you should consider that when a guy is screaming in your face about their sexual prowess,and the only thing you can do is tell them you arnt interested because a,b,c.Maybe just like you telling everyone that your wife is in a wheelchair and that blah,blah,blah.So the reply to that is,stop the bs and get back to the Cruise Forumns.But i wouldnt be so rude to say that.

I have just gone through a few of your posts.Have you noticed one thing,heres a wake-up call no-one responds to them and when they do they shoot you down in flames.I think you might be institutionalized somewhere in the world and your carers have given you a computer,so as to amuse yourself.I also think you have created several profiles so that you can answer yourself.I was going to call you an idiot,but i clearly feel like one responding to you,oh whats that i hear the dinner gong,put down your computer your gruel and straw is on its way.:)

@ things. Why do Gays always have to tell everyone their sexual orientation, like I cared anyway and there are as many Cougars as there are Knuckle draggers. Stop with the BS and get back to the Cruise Forums.

Aren't you a nice one.

Not sure you rea the thread or you would see that it started when someone posted that gays (as you say) made them cringe in the pool area.

And yep there maybe cougars, but so what does that make "Knuckle draggers" any better.

And if he bothered to go back and read the posts,he would see that the purpose was letting people know that if they had a problem,be they gays,elderly,wheelchair bound,etc,etc,to report it.I went back through quite a few of his posts and he attacks everyone.He jumps in,stirs the pot then dissapears.He is a bigoted,racist,redneck and admits to it in his posts.

And if he bothered to go back and read the posts,he would see that the purpose was letting people know that if they had a problem,be they gays,elderly,wheelchair bound,etc,etc,to report it.I went back through quite a few of his posts and he attacks everyone.He jumps in,stirs the pot then dissapears.He is a bigoted,racist,redneck and admits to it in his posts.

Plent around who fit the description.

Don't let him get to ya.

That sorts not worth it.