Princess vs. Celebrity - Alaska 2005

cruiserw/kids

Need some help. I want to do the Alaska Cruise during Summer 2005. For those of you who have cruised both Princess and Celebrity, which would you choose? Looking at Coral Princess or Celebrity Summit. Also what are the reasons for choosing a roundtrip vs. a one way itinerary? Will be cruising with other familes with children in early teens?

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;7;4;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Westfield Friends - July 4th Golden Princess

Look at the routing. This year Celebrity does less inside passage compared to Princess. Also the bonus of glacier bay would make it my choice. But not all positive- I greatly prefer Seward over Whittier- but most people just pass though and don't take advantage of the excellent touring opportunities- so for those it would make no difference. lastly- College fjords is alway a must sail for me, I don't consider one way cruises without it. Strongly consider adding several days for interior Alaska travel. It is not a frequent trip for most, so take advantage of being all the way there. Round trip cruises pack a LOT into 7 days and are definately worthwhile. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Tough choices indeed.

Yep, if seeing Alaska is important to you, study the itinerary very closely.

If you just want a different cruise than say, the Caribbean...decide what kind of environment onboard you enjoy most.

Celebrity's atmosphere (to me) is more zen-like and at times, even aloof. Princess, while not a 'party ship' is more activity oriented, and the entertainment has more variety. Celebrity's entertainment is a little staid for my taste.

Still, I would cruise on either one again, and they are marketed towards similar demographics.

Back to back's one on the way up, the other on the way down...

Ok... you asked a good question so I will try, I have sailed both and find that both have fine qualities so the good news is there truly is no bad choice.

Generalities being what they are.. Celebrity is a bit more reserved, refined etc. Princess a bit more open, more dining options etc.

The ship are both very nice and nothing past personal preference there to make the disctiction. I do like the way the cabin lays out on Princess better but that is subjective.

As to the routes. RT is much easier, cheaper on Air, but the one way leaves more options for seeing a larger bit of the state. Again, you can't go wrong here. I agree with what was said above if you don't get a glacier on the route, you have missed a real Alaskan highlight.

[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02
Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 12/04
Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04
Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

Both are good lines for teens, but I would say what ships are you looking at ?
Be sure that they have dedicated teen facilities, because these are the ships that will have more peers. ITs a busy cruise with not a ton of downtime but the kisd still find and enjoy being with each other.
Dont forget to compare pricing and cabin choices... That may make it an easier decision.

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

The OP did list the two ships being considered.

[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02
Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 12/04
Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04
Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]