Travelling With a Walker (Rollator)

plimsol

I have MS and have used a cane for years to assist with my mobility. I had a relapse almost a year ago. We cancelled the booking we had but feel confident to travel again after much therapy. I do now have to use a walker for any distance since a cane is not reliable enough. Have any of you been in a similar position? We do not always need to get off the ship while in port but there will be occasions that we want to venture out where one with limited mobility can enjoy the port of call. If you are in a similar situation or know of one, I would like to know of your or their experiences.

Silver Sweethearts is right - but I wanted to tell you we saw a centenarian on Insignia with a folding triangular walker - three wheeled. It collapsed nicely in the elevator and yet seemed supportive. I don't know if it had a seat or not. My husband and I agreed that this was a vast improvement over the usual square and less flexible ones.

Perhaps like these - http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/dlf%20data/wheeled-triangular-walkers-1943-p/

or

http://justwalkers.com/rollators/3-wheel-rollators.html

I'm a full time scooter user due to post polio, and took two cruises on Riviera this past Jan and March. I had no problem using my scooter on board, so you'll do fine with a rollator. The only problem you may have, and one I personally addressed with the ship's Manager, was that the gangway on deck four is in no way handicap accessible. In most ports, the gangway is VERY steep and unsafe for anyone with mobility issues. The other problem is that at the end of the gangway, it's stairs---their ramp does not go all the way down, but ends with 3 stairs that have no handrails. Again, unacceptable for the mobility challenged.

I have used a rollator on three Oceania cruises, most recently Marina to Easter Island and Tahiti. I found that there was often a secondary gangway on a lower deck which was much less steep. And while it is true that there is sometime a railing gap at the bottom, staff has always aided me if I felt the least bit unsure.